🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Tesoro Tejon that I have loved for 7 years. It's a deep machine. It has snagged several plates and hundreds and hundreds of bullets. Also a hut site and plenty of buttons. My coil is going bad. No question. It's the coil. It's the standard factory head so since I have to replace it, I thought I'd go for something that might buy me a couple more inches of depth. I hunt Civil war relics only, usually in spots that are not trashy. Sand and loamy earth (think Cold Harbor if you know it).

I have some great spots and I'd like to see if I can get just a little deeper. Thinking the 10"x12" Tejon coil if I can find one. Can any of you recommend something you know, or have heard is a good choice please? Thanks guys . . .

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My black Tejon came with the 8x11" RSD widescan (DD) coil. It's a bit bigger than the stock coil so probably gets a bit more depth. Light as a feather, too.

I have a 10x12" concentric for my 5-pin Tesoros, and it definitely punches deeper than the 9x8" stock coil. It's a bit heavier, but not too bad. I haven't tried the 4-pin version but expect it would perform the same.

-Ken

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My black Tejon came with the 8x11" RSD widescan (DD) coil. It's a bit bigger than the stock coil so probably gets a bit more depth. Light as a feather, too.

I have a 10x12" concentric for my 5-pin Tesoros, and it definitely punches deeper than the 9x8" stock coil. It's a bit heavier, but not too bad. I haven't tried the 4-pin version but expect it would perform the same.

-Ken

That ^ coil in a 4-pin may not be easy to find.

There are larger aftermarket double-D coils in 4-pin available through ebay, like those from brands like NEL, CORS, MARS, etc. I have no experience with the aftermarket coils except for having a small CORS that I wasn’t crazy about.

I’d suggest you stick with an original Tesoro coil; either the concentric or DD, depending on where you search. The Tesoro DD covers a little more area per swing than the concentric, but the concentric goes slightly deeper and discrimination works better.
I keep the 9x8 concentric on my Tejon, but it actually came with 11x8 Widescan.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would try that last medium size wide scan they came out with. I love my Tejon and I am a relic hunter. I have used the big wide scan on the Tejon and it was no trouble at all

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to find a stock for my Tejon so I ordered a closeout Mars Tiger 10x13 from serous in Yypsey. I hope it works; will update.

rmcnelly

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2021
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Tesoro Cibola with GB Mod
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to find a stock for my Tejon so I ordered a closeout Mars Tiger 10x13 from serous in Yypsey. I hope it works; will update.

How did the new coil work out?

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 20221128_225642.jpg
    20221128_225642.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 28