Tell me what you see, tell me what you think...

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my own ideas, but I want to hear from experienced and/or knowledgeable folks on my hunches.

What do you see in this sat shot from google maps?
Sat Map Snip.JPG

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Well, there's two lines running along the water. Trails or Wagon trail? I can't tell how wide the creek or river is so they could be way wide for a wagon. The little bushes are all in a row as well as other sure signs of an old homestead, imo. I don't have any experiaince looking at sat shots from google maps...

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a old home site judging by the square and trees off to the right of the square?? am I right?

It also looks like the river could have originally went thew the area of what looks like a homestead...

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Now I see a raod coming in from the lower left corner to the site. This tells me the two trails I see along the water are way to wade to be one wagontrail...just like I thought initially. Also, I see what looks like an old phone pole on the right side just above the middle about 1.5 inches in from the right (with the pic enlarged)
Yep. Looks like a great place to do some tectin and maybe diggin'.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, possibly a home site. It appears there are a few headstones? under the lines of trees? Im also curious about the two poles. Its hard to say wether the river forked and ran right to left or weather the water ran down from left to right past the site and into the river.. There also appear to be some odd craters or wells (well doesnt make sense being so close to water)

What are your thoughts?

chub

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we all think alike and that brings me validation that i'm not just seeing what I want to see. This is a really remote site and I could certainly poke around unmolested.

What struck me as significant were two initial items;

first, the symmetry of the green vegetation looks like an old foundation, where moisture collects and stays on/in the ground longer.

Second, was the orchard or garden are at the one o'clock position.

these both look like something man-made in the area. the third thing I noticed right away is the large tree on the edge of the supposed foundation line, looks like neglected landscaping.

Other interesting points are, the holes that Chub (love that moniker, BTW!) mentioned are common in this area, alkaline ponds and dried up bodies of water on basalt. I believe they are a privy and a well. This site sits on a bluff above the river (toecutter.) It's difficult to see the cliffs because of both the severity of the terrain and the sat photo quality. Also, there is a small primitive road just off frame at the 9 o'clock position. the power lines are simple, and I would say this is a homestead, built probably in the very late 1800's (about 1895 or so,) and was probably abandoned in the 1950s. The weather is pretty brutal in this area, so where there might be a structure still standing in other areas, this place is slammed with prairie torrents of driving rain, the baking sun, and subfreezing temps in the winter with a good amount of snow. Also, the wind is a constant here making it pretty harsh.

There is an abandoned sheep ranch about 10 miles south of this site, with many building still standing including the home. Local farmers have most likely used the structures for storage since it shuttered operations in the early 1950s. I'm excited about both sites, and and reluctant to post the second because of a little FOMO! lol

There is a flat area just below the alleged home site and looks to be maybe where the residents parked as a sort of 'country portico.' I can see a potential location for an outbuilding - chicken house, stable, paddock, or something immediately to the left of the site. the tracks you see entering from the left are most likely more recent, from curious area farmhands to mountain bikers looking for a spot to park/start/explore. Also, the lush green belt may be a seepage and most likely contains a watering hole as (IMO) is evident by the game trail penetrating it directly from the bottom.

My idea is, this would be a great site to spend some time exploring, certainly relics, probably bottles from an old trash pile, and probable some coinage still in the ground. This site is WELL off the beaten path and about 90 minutes drive mostly on primitive roads, so I believe nails would be more common than beer tabs. There is one farm house about 5 miles away, at the top of the photo and that person is most likely responsible for plowing the surrounding fields. think a whole twp worth of irrigable land.

Thank you all for taking a look and giving it an earnest inspection!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
If you get out there please let us know how it goes and thanks for posting.

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we all think alike and that brings me validation that i'm not just seeing what I want to see. This is a really remote site and I could certainly poke around unmolested.

What struck me as significant were two initial items;

first, the symmetry of the green vegetation looks like an old foundation, where moisture collects and stays on/in the ground longer.

Second, was the orchard or garden are at the one o'clock position.

these both look like something man-made in the area. the third thing I noticed right away is the large tree on the edge of the supposed foundation line, looks like neglected landscaping.

Other interesting points are, the holes that Chub (love that moniker, BTW!) mentioned are common in this area, alkaline ponds and dried up bodies of water on basalt. I believe they are a privy and a well. This site sits on a bluff above the river (toecutter.) It's difficult to see the cliffs because of both the severity of the terrain and the sat photo quality. Also, there is a small primitive road just off frame at the 9 o'clock position. the power lines are simple, and I would say this is a homestead, built probably in the very late 1800's (about 1895 or so,) and was probably abandoned in the 1950s. The weather is pretty brutal in this area, so where there might be a structure still standing in other areas, this place is slammed with prairie torrents of driving rain, the baking sun, and subfreezing temps in the winter with a good amount of snow. Also, the wind is a constant here making it pretty harsh.

There is an abandoned sheep ranch about 10 miles south of this site, with many building still standing including the home. Local farmers have most likely used the structures for storage since it shuttered operations in the early 1950s. I'm excited about both sites, and and reluctant to post the second because of a little FOMO! lol

There is a flat area just below the alleged home site and looks to be maybe where the residents parked as a sort of 'country portico.' I can see a potential location for an outbuilding - chicken house, stable, paddock, or something immediately to the left of the site. the tracks you see entering from the left are most likely more recent, from curious area farmhands to mountain bikers looking for a spot to park/start/explore. Also, the lush green belt may be a seepage and most likely contains a watering hole as (IMO) is evident by the game trail penetrating it directly from the bottom.

My idea is, this would be a great site to spend some time exploring, certainly relics, probably bottles from an old trash pile, and probable some coinage still in the ground. This site is WELL off the beaten path and about 90 minutes drive mostly on primitive roads, so I believe nails would be more common than beer tabs. There is one farm house about 5 miles away, at the top of the photo and that person is most likely responsible for plowing the surrounding fields. think a whole twp worth of irrigable land.

Thank you all for taking a look and giving it an earnest inspection!

I have the hardest time "seeing" things when using google earth. Can you somehow draw on this picture for us to "show" what you see? I have been trying to learn to recognize old foundations and the like and just can't "see" it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There may also be something under the trees next to the square area. XR7ator sees a telephone pole and I think there are two... but normally they run along a road for access?

What is most baffling about the two "poles" is that their shadow appears to be running OPPOSITE to the shadows cast by the trees :icon_scratch:

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe I was high, the shadows on the poles do work - the pole on the left is still odd

Chub

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So IMO;
The square is where I believe the old foundation to be.
The circle, I believe is the loc for an old outbuilding.
The triangle is where I'm certain a watering hole or old well is. My evidence being the lushness of the immediate area is evident of a neglected well or a spring. Doubtful it's just a seasonal depression where moisture collects as evidence by the well used game trail entering directly from the 5:30 position.
The squggly arrows is where I believe the residents used to access the home.
The white arrow I believe to be pointing at the old porch.
And finally, the pink arrows are indicitive of intelligent planting and strikes me as not natural.
20200613_142919.jpg

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So IMO;
The triangle is where I'm certain a watering hole or old well is. My evidence being the lushness of the immediate area is evident of a neglected well or a spring. Doubtful it's just a seasonal depression where moisture collects as evidence by the well used game trail entering directly from the 5:30 position.
And finally, the pink arrows are indicitive of intelligent planting and strikes me as not natural.
View attachment 1841052

Awesome! Thank you for explaining with the markings. Now get out there and let us know if what you suspect is right!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Water. And scars healing from human traffic/activity.

Don't want an answer , it's your site find...But the river(?) peters out there. As far as floating it appears to be doable.
Wondering if it was the end of the line for a boat?

A sheep station is a slight possibility if related to the homestead "neighboring it".
Water away from the river/creek whatever it is would be safer for watering stock. And plus if freezing weather avoids the danger of ice added to getting in and out.
A windmill or spring or well would be desired. For humans too!

Apples had multiple uses. Heck , oaks did too. With more acorn meal consumed than cereal grains here at one time.
Plus a coffee substitute. Or ,just added to flour to stretch it out. An established homestead would welcome them all .
And as ever , a lilac shrub/tree or flowers gifted to a lady headed out to a new , or yet another go of it had to be planted and encouraged.. If a woman was around.
Add kids and the odds go up of relics scattered about. Woe be to the family if Ma's prized silver set came up short a spoon....But kids were kids too.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I MDed a homesite a few years back, with permission from the construction co. that owned it, and found a great little western style cap gun from the 50's. No coins but the cap gun. The house creeped me out and I had a hard time looking at the ground with my back to the house.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi airborne, how about the 4 large rocks almost equally spaced in the right upper photo ? also looks like a large mound just below the 4 rocks. Good luck.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there old county maps for the area in question or better yet old aerial photos? You could even get a possible better perspective by using the little clock on the task bar above in Google Earth. It only goes back so far in time due to the lateness of getting satellite pics, but it may show how the land was even a few decades ago giving you better clues. GL out there and let us know what you find.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So IMO;
View attachment 1841052

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm not so sure that the square is a house seat, it looks to big.. When I blow the picture up, the road/trail/tire tracks coming in from the bottom left is right at an 8th of an inch wide on my monitor.. and the square is an inch and 3/8th's.. Now, the track width of most modern cars/trucks are between 60 and 70 inches wide.. I'll split the difference and say 65 inches..

So an 1/8th of and inch is equal to 65 inches
There are 11, 1/8th's in an inch and 3/8's..
11 times 65 is 715 inches..
There are 12 inches in a foot
So 715 inches divided by 12 is 59.583333

That would make the square roughly 60 foot by 60 foot, which would be a huge homestead house, and would even be big for a barn of that era.. Maybe a it was a garden, or a corral ??

Curious if you've had time to go check this area out yet ?

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNET Barber. You make some valid observations and if one looked to the left of the triangle that you can see an even larger rectangular area. What is actually there is hard for us to 2nd guess with just this photo, but I think there's enough evidence of people having been there in the past. Just in what capacity and where is hard to say and worth investigating.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I've been here for a while, just never posted much.. And yeah, I have a habit of over thinking things for some reason.. I don't know why, it just happens..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions