Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an awesome fortress that was once owned by The Templars.

Beaufort Castle, or Qalaat Al Shaqif, is a Crusader fortress in Nabatieh, South of Lebanon. Was also a one time Templar Fortress.

This fortress has had the longest in history fighting over it. The last battle was in 2000 between Israel and Lebanon. In 1982 it was shelled by the Israelis in a battle to control the high ground which is strategic even today.

The castle came under Crusader control in 1240 as part of a treaty negotiated by Theobald I of Navarre. It was sold to the knights Templar by Reginald's grandson, Julian of Sidon in 1260. In 1268, the Mamluck Sultan Baibars captured the castle

800px-View_from_Beaufort_Castle,_Lebanon,_2006.jpg

800px-Chateau_de_Beaufort.jpg

With a long history of bloody capture and warfare. No doubt for many people believe caches of treasure may still be there hidden. Not just Templar Treasure but also some of Sultan Barbars treasure also?

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the period that France had control of Lebanon some partial exploration of the site was done of ruins. In 1877 a map was made of the site below,.

Kulat_Esh_Shukif_from_the_1871-77_Palestine_Exploration_Fund_Survey_of_Palestine.jpg

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While the castle itself was a classic crusader castle, It was well stocked with cellars and water cisterns capable of withstanding long sieges.

20170827_153913.jpg

Today you can explore many of them still.

D.JPG

What stories these walls could tell if they could speak?

K.JPG

Many tunnels and crypts and storage rooms remain exposed many are just filled with rubble.

I.JPG

These castles provided shelter not only for knights but paying pilgrims on their way through the holy-land.

For me I cannot imagine how hard it must been to attack these hill top castles. Yet they did and that amigos tells me what determination really is.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday amigos

Its inside ruins like these and the surrounding grounds that may yield Templar Artifacts and coinage. Most likely coinage issued by the Templar's to Pilgrims on pilgrimage to the holy land.

B.JPG

Because of constant warfare even through the 2oth century not all parts of the castle has fully been explored.As some parts have not been fully excavated yet.

DE.JPG

Some parts of structures has collapsed. Some parts are down right dangerous.

In-high-times-4_125356.jpg

While potential cavities might me still found with in the cellars of the castle itself?

GG.JPG

These fortress was defendable choke points and safe refuge for Templars and Pilgrims a like. When the country was unsafe these citadels was safe houses to flee to. Since the Templars was engaged in an early form of banking. Templar coins in transit would of stopped here.

Although the Templars only held this castle for 8 years money passing through would of been deposited here as pilgrims came through. Since all the buried chambers have not been fully excavated the mind boggles with the possibility of small hidden caches of Templar coins remain hidden from the looting of the centuries?

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

When the Hezbollah had gained control of the fort. Stories leaked out that they had found treasure. There was an upsurge in coins flowing into the market via Beirut.

Their graffiti can still be seen on their walls.

20170827_154015.jpg

By the time Israeli Army shelled the proverbial crap out of them. The Israeli Army once again recaptured the high ground. Sadly more of castle was destroyed in the fighting much to the horror of UNESCO who tried desperately to encourage the Israeli Army not to destroy the world heritage site.

The Israeli Army built congregate observation post and pill boxes inside the Baily of the fort. It was also claimed soldiers stationed there was not allowed to go into the lower chambers of ruins searching for treasure?

But if they didn't then I guess pigs do fly? :laughing7:

Even today there are cavities not fully explored and tunnels sealed up.

20170827_152557.jpg

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread