Temporarily inactive for 30 years.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, its been 30 years since I have been out and about. I’ve upgraded my old digging tool and stepped into the 21st century with a 3 month old E-trac. Wow…after swinging the E-trac for only a few minutes I can see it has balance issues. My old Garrett ADS was much heavier but better balanced. Should I put a counter weight on the E-Trac? i have so many questions! Anyhow...A little background. I was very active in the late 70s and early 80s and found more silver and gold than i can remember. Most of the silver and gold was sold as fast as it came out of the ground to help pay for gas and food. I did lots of relic hunting on Guam and Okinawa. I have recently sold most of my war relics to fund the E-trac. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but its done and i am back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't dig for 20. They went out and found my first gold coin, gold ring (a year later) and yesterday a 14k gold earring. Good luck. You never really forget how.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard ! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found a gold Coin. Its on my bucket list. This E-trac is gonna take some getting used to for sure. I have not heard alot about it finding gold but i understand its a silver hound and silver is what i like.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet. You'll find friends here and a whole lot of knowledge.

I too was inactive for 20 years, neared retirement and decided to jump back in. Back in our day it was all about the sounds. Knowing that, I felt I made the obvious choice in an E-Trac. It was a bit of a shock all those sounds the Minelabs will throw at you. Just be patient and remember that it's a sound machine extroidinaire.. You'll hear everything. It will frustrate the heck out of you for a while. Stick with it, and it will click and you won't go back. It's okay to look at the FE-CO numbers, but don't do that unless you've one of those convincing sounds. Don't be afraid to dig everything at first = the best way to learn.

Here's some links which won't hurt you :)

Etrac Tutorial Videos - Saving History One Piece at a Time

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/339939-how-hunt-deeper-finds-etrac.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/333416-does-anyone-use-ttf-e-trac-2.html

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Indeed i hope to get as good with the minelab as i did with the ADS. It was rare for me to look at the meter. one thing is sure. I like the idea of a hand held electronic pinpointer. I still have my old blunt ice pick with the ball handle. Should i burry the old pinpointer and let someone find it 100 years from now?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
lol Indeed i hope to get as good with the minelab as i did with the ADS. It was rare for me to look at the meter. one thing is sure. I like the idea of a hand held electronic pinpointer. I still have my old blunt ice pick with the ball handle. Should i burry the old pinpointer and let someone find it 100 years from now?

I still have mine as well! Ain't no way that baby will get buried! Might come in handy :)

Now that we have the electronic pin pointer, good gracious finding a target is so much easier! Especially in sand.

Do you still have your ADS III ? I don't even remember what I did with mine, sure would love to have it back again. I did keep my Fisher (hung up the ADS when I got that). And that Fisher is just about every bit as capable as modern detectors. I've switched completely to the CTX now from the E-Trac.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nah...the ADS 3 went away when i got the ADS 7 and the ADS 7 was beat to death in the jungles of Guam and Okinawa. It still worked but looked pretty rough. I sold it at a local flea market for 50 bucks. I have been looking at them on E-Bay. My only big issue with the ADS was the batteries. 6 expensive 9 volts good for a day or two at most.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back to one of the most enjoyable hobby!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to the site...
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. This site is GIANT. Its like a treasure Found Mag on steroids. And i don't have to wait every month to get it! Whooohooooo!

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the :tchest: