🥇 BANNER Ten Dollar Gold Piece - I'm still in shock!!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So still in shock here guys, was out detecting an old road looking for a colonial spot we though was close and got a solid 24 on my Equinox 800. Dug down about 5" and saw this laying in the hole. Can't remember much after that but my buddy said I was jumping up and down and yelling "Holy S---" over and over - when I finally calmed down I just said "gold" and opened my hand to show him .... his mouth just dropped

It is HUGE and she is a beaut!!

vp

IMG_6094.jpg IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6087.jpg

Upvote 217

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DREAMER!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATZ........

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Any idea what that beauty is worth? Not that I personally would ever sell it!
John

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on joining the club!

BTB...Just for curiosity sake. What else is usually around a "solid 24 on the Equinox 800"? Never used one.

wheat pennies, some small silver - this thing was HUGE so with a 24 I wasn't expecting anything this big

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Any idea what that beauty is worth? Not that I personally would ever sell it!
John

it does have a small scratch on the back i think from a rock in the hole possibly. It is probably an MS 61 or 62 but the scratch would knock it down so maybe $1300++ ?

vp

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looky here folks - we have a winner!

Congrats on your epic gold coin! So cool! Thank you for sharing

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse to give up on this find ! I'm sure there must be a ton of you who agree , if you haven't nominated it , now's the time !

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I refuse to give up on this find ! I'm sure there must be a ton of you who agree , if you haven't nominated it , now's the time !

"Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.

Finds must look good in the banner.

Members campaigning for votes for themselves or others ruins threads.
Do Not Do IT !"

Fwiw, the last sentence is typed out in red (emphasis added)

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to be clear no one started campaigning for banner votes here until this got to the point of being silly right?

I found a TEN DOLLAR GOLD PIECE FROM 1880 IN NEAR PERFECT SHAPE ???!!! - this is every detectorist dream right? it's a half ounce of gold !!!! AND it is by definition a banner find ....

yeah the story is not great but I was SOOOOO excited to post it and show everyone else that oh my god after 30+ years I found an unreal gold coin ... and these coins are really out there ... and if I can find it you can too, etc, etc ... that I figured I'd go back and elaborate on the story at another point (unfortunately you can't edit it for some reason??)

Now it's really not that big of a deal for me, I found it, I have it, i get to look at it every day ... yeah it's confusing and disappointing but I've been a member for years and have always supported my fellow detectorist and will continue to do so ... but from a community standpoint it not being up there makes the whole site look bad right? the site loses credibility if a freakin' 1880 $10 gold piece isn't good enough to make the banner (god I can't believe I am even saying that LOL) .... what is a banner find if not this?

my two cents

peace

vp

Edit: maybe there is something with the site or the admins are away ?? as i've seen some other VERY good finds that I would have thought would be on the banner by now too.
Thanks again for looking everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.

Finds must look good in the banner.

Members campaigning for votes for themselves or others ruins threads.
Do Not Do IT !"

Fwiw, the last sentence is typed out in red (emphasis added)

thanks for the reply -

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks buddy I think you are in the same boat as I ... makes no sense - appreciate your efforts

vp

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy howdy there ain't enough beer in the world for that party - very well done - good luck for more!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread