Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday, December 30, 2021

“I’m excited to announce that the 125th District will be receiving DCNR grant funds,” said Rep. Joe Kerwin. “Donaldson, Frailey Township, will be receiving a $50,000 grant for further development of its playground project. It is also great news that Pottsville will be receiving a $120,000 grant for the development of Discovery Park. These grant dollars will be essential for improving our community. I look forward to continuing to work with local and state officials to improve the district.”

“I am extremely pleased that the 123rd District has received $418,000 in grant funds for five projects that improve community parks and recreation,” said Rep. Tim Twardzik. “These funds allow us to reinvest in Kaier Park in Mahanoy City, Discovery Park in Pottsville, Memorial Park in Reilly Township, Ryan Memorial Park in Rush Township, and the Schuylkill River Trail. It’s more important than ever that our neighbors are enjoying the outdoors and I appreciate the generous funding that makes our county a great place to live, work and play.”

“It’s always a good day when state funding comes back to Schuylkill County to enhance our recreational opportunities,” said Rep. Jerry Knowles. “These improvements to playgrounds, along with tennis, basketball and pickleball courts in the 124th District, will benefit both young and old for many years to come.”

One of the projects, shown above, is the development of Discovery Project in Pottsville. The park, which will be located at the intersection of West Market Street and North 3rd Street is said to be a tribute to the late Mayor Terry Reilly and will bring beauty to the long vacant area across from our public library.

These highly competitive grants were awarded through the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ (DCNR) Conservation Community Partnerships Program.

According to a release, the following projects were awarded grants:
  • Further development of Donaldson Park in Frailey Township: $50,000
  • Further development of Kaier’s Park in Mahanoy City: $70,000
  • Development of Ridge Road Park in Orwigsburg: $114,000
  • Development of Discovery Park in Pottsville: $120,000 (Pictured Above)
  • Further development of Memorial Park in Reilly Township: $46,700
  • Rehabilitation of Ryan Memorial Park in Rush Township: $76,800
  • Development of 4 miles of the Schuylkill River Trail in Blythe Township, New Castle Township, and Saint Clair Borough: $104,500
  • Rehabilitation of Wildcat Park in Walker Township: $56,000
  • Rehabilitation and further development of Wayne Township Community Park: $129,000
  • Rehabilitation and further development of Atlas Park in West Penn Township: $242,000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread