Tent peg retrieval from camp, phone bell from the park and more scout camp digging.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a busy week and I didn’t get much time to detect. Life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes. We are going to the beach next week so hopefully I will have some goodies to share next week.

I can’t be at camp to help when they put up the tents for the season so I took a day and went to camp to gather all the pegs. I have been told to leave the pegs at the latrine of each campsite so they could be gathered later. There are so many pegs and some need to be straightened before they can be reused I thought it would be a good thing if I gathered them and took them to the camp quartermaster building in the 2 parts (the camp is in 3 areas/sections with separate facilities in each) of camp I worked these past 21 months. The head ranger let me use a camp “mule” to get down into the sites since my truck wouldn’t be able to get in as close and I would have to carry the pegs a ways. The mule was a huge help as I could drive right up beside the latrines and load the pegs into buckets and put them in the mule. It took 6 hours, but I got them all retrieved and mostly straightened. I piled them by type, nail type on the right and L shaped on the left. 2,475 in camp 1 and 4,433 in camp 2 for a total or 6,908 camp tent pegs. The ranger texted that it was an amazing sight to see all those pegs together in one place. The camp director simple replied “WOW!” to the pictures of the pegs. It was a lot of work, but it is done. I still have part of camp I want to finish before camp opens, but probably not many more pegs to add to the piles.

0132D7DF-7B0F-4504-83FF-A699B1CAD346.jpeg

.....................................................Camp mule

38646CF5-0C80-42A2-B97C-0F557BF41403.jpeg A517B8C7-2C44-4DC6-B36D-9C9B73849DA7.jpeg

.....................................Camp 1 picture .................................. Camp 2 picture

I went to one of the local parks for a short hunt. They have removed a bunch of the tot lot equipment and I thought I might find a few coins that were masked by being too close to the equipment or under the weed mesh they use under the mulch. In 2 hour the CZ21 managed to sniff out 37 coins with a face value of $2.38, a car from the volleyball sand, a toy tank turret, a couple of tabs and what I believe is an old phone bell.

25ADFE6C-3BB0-4403-9B23-A4F9ECABDD84.jpeg 835B9AB6-F103-4649-BFDE-A35983578F3C.jpeg

I had time to go back to camp to do a little swingin. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 163 coins with a face value of $10.05, 75 camp tent pegs, a sliver of a penny, some sinkers, a mess kit wing nut, a .22 slug, 2 neckerchief slides, a newer round ball, a bunch of melted aluminum and a few tabs. Not my best from camp, but the slides will be reused and the clad adds up.

90F50257-F1A0-40A9-8D9E-0F81A06564F8.jpeg 8C488A07-A661-4853-ACF7-D426425F16E8.jpeg

Not a great week, but I did get out in the nice warm weather and I did do my scout good deed for the day. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 12

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great job. How many years did it take to accumulate all those tent pegs in the ground? I would guess some go back a generation or more.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cut from the same clothe. Made me laugh that you bothered counting them all, that's not normal...lol
Well done on a job done properly!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you for your volunteer efforts, that's one heck of a lot of tent pegs. :thumbsup:

I'd love to find a Boy Scout neck slide some day, they must blow your ears out. :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• 90F50257-F1A0-40A9-8D9E-0F81A06564F8-crop.jpeg
    90F50257-F1A0-40A9-8D9E-0F81A06564F8-crop.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cut from the same clothe. Made me laugh that you bothered counting them all, that's not normal...lol
Well done on a job done properly!

Thanks Crusader. Nobody ever said I was normal. :laughing7:

I am kind of a record keeping guy and I keep a separate log for the scout camp. I count the days peg find before I leave camp, and record it so I knew how many pegs were in each campsite. I just totaled up the numbers from all the sites I gathered them from.

Kudos to you for your volunteer efforts, that's one heck of a lot of tent pegs. :thumbsup:

I'd love to find a Boy Scout neck slide some day, they must blow your ears out. :laughing7:
Dave
Thanks Dave. Keep looking for that neckerchief slide. The guys lose a ton of them. Everyone stay safe and keep swingin.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I found a set of keys almost identical to the ones in your picture, very cool!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crusader. Nobody ever said I was normal. :laughing7:

I am kind of a record keeping guy and I keep a separate log for the scout camp. I count the days peg find before I leave camp, and record it so I knew how many pegs were in each campsite. I just totaled up the numbers from all the sites I gathered them from.

Thanks Dave. Keep looking for that neckerchief slide. The guys lose a ton of them. Everyone stay safe and keep swingin.
Very logically to keep track like that, many wouldn't bother. I'm lucky as I benefit from Cru'dad's record keeping, & its takes hundreds of hours a year but is incredibly important & useful to increase your detecting productivity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread