Tesoro Alternative - Thoughts?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all the Tesoro Fans have you looked at the Deeptech line of detectors?

I am working with them and considering carrying their detectors in the U.S., but I really need to get a feel for the market. Are there still enough hunters interested in spending $400-$600 on a hand-built quality analog machine.

Fyi the Vista Smart Pro - is very similar to the Vaquero & the Vista X is similar to the Tejon (but with Iron audio added!) Carbon fiber shafts as well. These both retail for $575 and $600 respectively but I would order a larger quantity if I could offer T-Net members a discount.

I have also asked if they would consider releasing a "cleansweep" aka bigfoot coil for as well. This is not a stagnant company either they are very interested in releasing new products and hearing feedback from their customers.

Nothing set in stone just something I am considering because I too enjoy an analog machine in my tool belt of detectors. I've been using the Vista X and so far I am very happy. I pick mine up and run with it listening to the iron audio and good tones just like I would a Deus.

Let me know your thoughts as I consider this decision?

hh

eman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would advise against carrying this line. With the Simplex at half that price, and even the Vanquish costing less, it seems like a losing proposition. While I was a huge Tesoro fan and supporter, analog is way over. Best of luck to you!:skullflag:

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the Simplex, Equinox, and XP ORX - The ORX being the favorite of the 3 and the Equinox being the deepest, and all of them are excellent machines that will get the job done. I dunno though for walking fields and old sites looking for relics and deep coins I still believe their is some value to having a analog machine and a dig it all mindset.

Of course you can do this with any VDI machine as well if your disciplined enough to not let the VDI talk you out of digging a iffy target. The VDI is a great tool but it can help you or burn you if you become over dependent on it.

I think everyone should at least own one for some time to sharpen their listening skills and then if you want a VDI machine or vise-versa if you already have one then it will only make them better detectorist.

These are not newbie machines - Although you could start with an analog detector I wouldn't recommend it to someone just getting into the hobby like most of us did. These are an investment to someone that already has a good VDI machine or years of experience and likes to dig everything with the expectation that very little will be left behind when they finish. Who knows you might find your vdi machine collecting dust as you dig more targets without looking at the screen all the time.

I know for me personally that I'm a lazy and when I have the VDI I tend to dig only targets I really like, but when I remove that from the equation it forces me to dig more. Yes 95% of the time it is a target I probably wouldn't have dug with the VDI but that jumpy 9/10 target on your nox is now just a solid tone and who knows the other 5% of a time it could be a Gold ring or button.

If I hunted saltwater beaches my opinion might be entirely different but I spend the vast majority of my time in fields, old home sites, and parks.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Lazy=much much less gold. I always feel good when I get to the trash recepticle and empty my trash pouch.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For all the Tesoro Fans have you looked at the Deeptech line of detectors?

I am working with them and considering carrying their detectors in the U.S., but I really need to get a feel for the market. Are there still enough hunters interested in spending $400-$600 on a hand-built quality analog machine.

Fyi the Vista Smart Pro - is very similar to the Vaquero & the Vista X is similar to the Tejon (but with Iron audio added!) Carbon fiber shafts as well. These both retail for $575 and $600 respectively but I would order a larger quantity if I could offer T-Net members a discount.

I have also asked if they would consider releasing a "cleansweep" aka bigfoot coil for as well. This is not a stagnant company either they are very interested in releasing new products and hearing feedback from their customers.

Nothing set in stone just something I am considering because I too enjoy an analog machine in my tool belt of detectors. I've been using the Vista X and so far I am very happy. I pick mine up and run with it listening to the iron audio and good tones just like I would a Deus.

Let me know your thoughts as I consider this decision?

hh

eman

These look like such nice machines and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they may have purchased schematics from Tesoro. Every one they make looks all so familiar with some nice improvements.

The problem I see is that the people that like hunting with these types of machines are getting too old to hunt. If you or I see a radio or a TV with a chromatic tuner knob on it, our first instinct is to run over and tune in a station. A younger person's first instinct is to bundle them up by the curb for the garbage man.

Sadly, I would say that this new generation of treasure hunters wouldn't know what to do with a metal detector that doesn't have screens and buttons. Heck, soon enough these newer machines will have voice systems built-in to them.

No, I am sorry chief, but I think just like the old radios and TVs of their day, these old twist knob detectors are sadly blowing away with the wind. Oh sure there will always be some old fogie like me that will be looking for one from time to time, but I wouldn't suspect it will be a big market in the near future.

I am quite pleased that I was able to pick up one of the last Tesoro Outlaws new in the box. Actually, got it for my wife in case she ever wants to learn and go out metal detecting. :laughing7: Hehehe...

I will continue to fix/maintain my Tejon until I can't anymore, but at that point, I don't know if I would be willing to dish out money for another VLF detector.

Sadly, I'll probably just get lazy and spoiled with the new tech.:unhappysmiley:

On another note, Tesoro had somewhat of a cult following. Even though we knew that the Mojave was just a cross-bred Tejon with half the parts missing, (a cousin to the Silver Umax) we still went out and bought them despite the fact of already having a hand full of Tesoros in the closet.

There is something about the Tesoros that just makes them neat and fun to play with. Not to mention, my best silver hole was sniffed out by my Tejon.

Good luck with your venture my friend.

Last edited:

RG-DeepTech

May 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These look like such nice machines and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they may have purchased schematics from Tesoro. Every one they make looks all so familiar with some nice improvements.....

We keep the best memories from our personal meetings with some American companies like White's and Kellyco.
But with all due respect to Tesoro, we have never been in any contact with them.
I think this answer will satisfy you.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an old-timer and I started with digital detectors but I was not satisfied with the performance of any of the ones I used. I did a lot of research and decided to switch to analog. I used several Tesoros and now I have several golden mask detectors. I briefly considered getting an equinox but, in my opinion, they are very over-rated. Most of the hunters in my club use digital machines but I don't think I could ever go back because I've seen what they miss. I agree that most folks would be lost without a digital screen telling them what to do but I got over that need within a year or two of starting this hobby. I don't know if many other hunters will come to the same conclusions that I do but I do know that I downplay the capabilities of the machines that I use because I don't want the other hunters in my club to buy the machines I use because I don't want serious competition. I spent a lot of time talking up the digital machines I used but I certainly don't do that now. I prefer to let the digital hunters feel superior while I quietly find the treasure.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good modern analog beep and dig alternative to Tesoro is the Vista X by DeepTech. Especially with the two smaller coils. It was designed and built with the North America market in mind. Has a discrimination range as high as any other US brand detector.
Yeah its more expensive than many new digital screen wonders, performance wise it can still compete with many of them. https://www.treasurelinx.com/deeptech_md.html
You won't have to worry about digital software crashing................................

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to try the Vista x one day. I think the crucial strength of the new wave of analog machines coming out of Bulgaria is that they are 12 volt rather than 9 volt like most other detectors. It might seem insignificant but it makes a huge difference. I find so much more because of it.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would advise against carrying this line. With the Simplex at half that price, and even the Vanquish costing less, it seems like a losing proposition. While I was a huge Tesoro fan and supporter, analog is way over. Best of luck to you!:skullflag:
I know that you jumped ship some time ago but I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of some of the new analog machines coming out of Bulgaria in the last few years. I don't deny that digital machines sell well and your advice to sellers is good but I can tell you from experience that, outside of a trash polluted park or wet saltwater Beach, no equinox 800 can out perform the machines I use right now. I'm not saying this to be combative. I'm saying it because I know you're a serious hunter who's experienced with less modern analog machines and because I think you might benefit from a second look at the new stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread