Tesoro Cibola - I Almost Missed This Big Silver Coin

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost didn't go detecting this morning, but I finally gave in and lit out to find a new place to swing my search coil. I finally found a spot around 8:15.

The ground was super dry and really hard to dig in, so I thought it would be best to do some cherry picking. I set up my modded Cibola/Sharpshooter coil combination with a little negative on the ground balance, a slight audio hum, full sensitivity and set the discrimination to point where most pull tabs discriminate out.

After just digging a few clad coins, I hit the big one. It sounded so good that I almost passed it by because it sounded kinda like a flatten pop can but a little more mellow. I dug a plug and dug down a few more inches in the dry hard dirt and popped a 1953 Benjamen Franklin Half Dollar.

Whoopee! I had a great day made metal detecting even if I didn't find another good target for the rest of the day.

I continued grid searching the yard and in the very corner next to the shrub bed, I popped a Sterling Silver Signet Ring. Happy, Happy, Happy. I decided to lower the discrimination to see if I could find a gold ring.

I dug a few pull tabs and foil pieces and gave up that quest up until there is some soaking rain to soften the soil. The ground is way too hard to be digging every target.

Oh yeah, I also found 7 wheat pennies, a Craftsman screw driver and some clad coins.

Around 10.45 I decided leave there and swing by a place that I already had permission to detect to see if the ground would be soft enough for me to dig in without messing up the guy's yard.

The owner was out in the yard when I went by so I stopped and spoke with him for awhile and he said that they got a good rain last night and it should be soft enough to dig in, but he would water the yard really good later on this evening, so it will be easy for me to dig in when I get there in the morning. I gave him a sack full of home grown tomatoes and said thank you.

tabman

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20013_zpset8oyyyq.jpg
Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20015_zpsruoimiux.jpg

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20017_zpsdqjewhds.jpg
Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20019_zpsh3uxwl1o.jpg

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20005_zpsi0irdit2.jpg

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20010_zpsya60hxl1.jpg

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20002_zpsd5wpoxpa.jpg

Cibola%20Big%20Ben%20023_zpsle0b45ql.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks!

Terry as you well know the Cibola or Vaquero with their discrimination set just high enough to discriminate out most pull tabs makes finding silver coins a breeze at super trashy sites. Let's keep this between the two of us.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Finds Tabman! Is that one of the new coils from Tesoro on the modded Cibola? The coin looks like it just came off the mint after you cleaned it up.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going Tabman. I guess I'm gonna have to start carrying home grown tomatoes with me. I wonder if the store bought tomatoes could pass as home grown if I put them in a bag!

I haven't had any dry ground problems because I have been in the water the few times I have been out.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Finds Tabman! Is that one of the new coils from Tesoro on the modded Cibola? The coin looks like it just came off the mint after you cleaned it up.

Thanks. No it's not one of Tesoro's new coils. It's a NEL Sharpshooter coil. The new Tesoro 11 x 8 DD coil is more suited for larger open areas. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deeper than the Sharpshooter coil. Most of the places that I'm hunting now are not that big.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going Tabman. I guess I'm gonna have to start carrying home grown tomatoes with me. I wonder if the store bought tomatoes could pass as home grown if I put them in a bag!

I haven't had any dry ground problems because I have been in the water the few times I have been out.

Thanks.

It something special about home grown tomatoes. It puts a big smile on peoples' faces when they get bag full of them.

Those store bought tomatoes just don't taste the same.

tabman

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you've been killing it lately. Congrats, Love the BF. Nice pics :thumbsup:

wolfdog

Sep 24, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To late Tab,the cat's out of the bag.
Great info for un new comers.
Mike

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How DO you get those coins so clean? And shame on you , save some for the rest of us! :)

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What the heck send some of us your rain PLEASE. We had only about 2" or 3" this season.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you've been killing it lately. Congrats, Love the BF. Nice pics :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm going to slow the pace down some until we get some rain and cooler weather. This Fall I'm going to hit the after burners.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How DO you get those coins so clean? And shame on you , save some for the rest of us! :)

I use a 'jewelry polishing cloth' for the final cleaning. You can order one on line or get one at Target or some other retail store. They last almost forever. There are plenty of silver coins to go around unless everyone starts swinging Tesoro detectors. LOL

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread