Tesoro Cibola - Me, The Dog And The Gold Ring

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I arrived at the rental home site that obtained permission to detect this morning around 7:30. I decided to keep the discrimination set low in hopes of finding a gold ring.

I put set the discrimination just high enough to discriminate out nails, I set the threshold to a slight hum, a little negative on the ground balance and full sensitivity.

Talk about trash, it was thick and the ground was hard. Like most rental properties they're trashy, but I was in the zone and ready to do some serious digging. I did manage to find a sterling ring in all that trash and a few wheat pennies.

While detecting the rental house I noticed a car that pulled up and parked in the driveway across the street that had a for sale by owner sign in the front yard. I ran over there and introduced myself and asked permission to detect his yard.

At first he was reluctant, but he finally said that I could detect the front yard only up and until he left. This was his mother-in-laws house and they just put her into a nursing home.

I got to digging wheat back pennies (21 for the day) be I couldn't get my coil over a silver coin. I talked to man some more and he said that I could keep detecting the front yard even after he left. That made me happy.

Later on he came over and talked to me about what kind of detector he should get, because he thought that detecting would be fun. I told him since he is just starting out that I would recommend the Tesoro Silver uMax.

Right before he left, he came over and told me to make myself at home in the backyard. That really made me a happy camper and right after he left I finally got my coil over a 1950 Rosie Dime.

One look in the shaded backyard with some old clotheslines put a big smile on my face. Detecting around clotheslines is a great place to find old silver coins and rings.

As I neared the clothesline that paralleled the fence of the neighbor’s yard, a huge dog rushed the fence barking that sent chills over my body. That fence was nowhere near high enough to keep that dog from getting at me if he wanted to.

I decided to detect the other side of the yard until that dog got use to me being back there. Finally, I kept getting closer and closer to clothesline, but was afraid to get right up under because it was only a few feet from the fence.

As I was working the outside edge of the clothesline that was not next to fence, I got a nice smooth audio tone. I popped a nice gold signet ring. That’s my second one for the week.

I decided to call it a day, and I as I was leaving I asked the guy who cutting the grass across the street if he would like a sack full of homegrown tomatoes. He said yes, he loved tomatoes. Come to find out he cuts grass for around 30 people up and down the street and in the immediate area. It pays to be nice!

tabman

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20001_zpsqybp11qs.jpg
Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20005_zpsb8qzvveg.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20007_zpsotv0ncho.jpg
Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20010_zpsoe8t5uey.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20013_zpses06zwsy.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20014_zps13ouzqez.jpg
Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20017_zpsxzfzmgqu.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Sterling%20Ring%20012_zpsczlfyesd.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Sterling%20Ring%20009_zpspxqo2r21.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Sterling%20Ring%20003_zpszbgpmfyx.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Sterling%20Ring%20011_zpsctgugwti.jpg

Cibola%20Gold%20amp%20Silver%20Ring%20019_zpsckdb8jcy.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location, location, location! I gotta get in some private yards and forget the long trips to ghost towns or beaches! I'm in pure awe of your finds Tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
flipping sweet! :occasion14:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, I think he could make one little lunge and clear that 4 foot fence!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every day you post awesome finds. Looks like you dig it all :notworthy: That's a lot of targets to dig in a day. I bet that your motivation cranked up when you found each one of those keepers.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and story! Way to go on the gold!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Location, location, location! I gotta get in some private yards and forget the long trips to ghost towns or beaches! I'm in pure awe of your finds Tabman

Thanks. Experience will help you find those good locations. I would have made a good army scout.:laughing7:

Detecting is a lot like hunting and fishing.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, location is the key. Doesn't matter what you swing if you happen to be in the right spot.

kaolinwasher

Greenie
Jun 21, 2014
Isainti county Minnesota
Detector(s) used
currently own a Euro saber, silver micromax with ground balance mode, & a updated mirage P.I custom built by sven
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tab that is amazing , The gold ring is so nice, and the silver , you may bring dog treats to apeaze the dog . we know what it takes to apeaze you a little silver & gold

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every day you post awesome finds. Looks like you dig it all :notworthy: That's a lot of targets to dig in a day. I bet that your motivation cranked up when you found each one of those keepers.

Thanks. Heck finding a wheat penny gets me fired up, because I know that I'm in silver coin territory.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and story! Way to go on the gold!

Thanks Taylor. The next big rain we get we need to get together for another good hunt before you leave. I'm going slow down on my detecting for awhile because all this heat and hard dirt is wearing at me.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool!

Thanks. I lucked up and had a good day. When I saw those old clothesline poles I knew exactly were to go. I dig all targets between the two poles, even the 'iffy' ones.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, location is the key. Doesn't matter what you swing if you happen to be in the right spot.

One thing for sure, if a silver coin isn't there you're not going find it.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tab that is amazing , The gold ring is so nice, and the silver , you may bring dog treats to apeaze the dog . we know what it takes to apeaze you a little silver & gold

Thanks Gunnar. This heat and lack of rain is going to slow me down for awhile so I need something to keep me occupied. I'd appreciate you posting some of your great videos. I don't care if the videos are just showing a flock of turkeys, some deer or you demoing your newly modded Silver uMax.

tabman

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Tabman You still my detecting hero.Nice ring!!! BIG DOG!!! HH

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Tabman You still my detecting hero.Nice ring!!! BIG DOG!!! HH

Thanks. That was a big dog! Pit Bulls worry me the most and there are plenty them where I detect.

tabman

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice keepers you got! Next time remember a box of dog biscuits for Cujo :laughing7:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice keepers you got! Next time remember a box of dog biscuits for Cujo :laughing7:

Thanks. I would be afraid to throw anything at a pit bull, epically one that's not behind a fence.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread