Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone has taken the Deleon to the beach?
How does it do in sand and wet sand conditions?
I know keeping it dry is a must but wondering how it operates overall.
Thanks
It will not work well at all on salt water beaches, it is a single freq detector not designed for salt beaches. You would have to hunt above the high tide line...

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will not work well at all on salt water beaches, it is a single freq detector not designed for salt beaches. You would have to hunt above the high tide line...
Iā€™ve hunted beachā€™s and wet sand with my Lobo no issues. Alkaline mode. The only thing is the fear of getting it wet.

Iā€˜m guessing the Cortes circuitry would hold up pretty good? Havenā€™t taken that to the beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve hunted beachā€™s and wet sand with my Lobo no issues. Alkaline mode. The only thing is the fear of getting it wet.

Iā€˜m guessing the Cortes circuitry would hold up pretty good? Havenā€™t taken that to the beach.
Cortes and Lobo are still single freq detectors. When hunting the wet salt beach with Lobo how high did you have your sensitivity set?

With single freq detectors, you have to turn the sensitivity way down to get it to work on salt beaches which means you lose all your depth.

I have a Tesoro Conquistador, it works fine above the high tide line at the beach but is terrible in wet salt sand.

Even Tesoro said they were not good in wet salt sand, only the Sand Shark and Tiger Shark were advised for hunting salt beaches.

Something to remember, the danger isn't just getting the detector dunked or splashed to get wet, you also have a salt spray in the air, and on detectors, with speakers on the face plate or back plate, you get the salt spray inside the detectors. Worked in detector repair center, we got lots of detectors in that had problems and when opened up they were full of corrosion from the salt spray, owners would tell us they never went in the water so how is there corrosion on the inside, I then asked if they covered up the speakers and face plate and they said no.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cortes and Lobo are still single freq detectors. When hunting the wet salt beach with Lobo how high did you have your sensitivity set?

With single freq detectors, you have to turn the sensitivity way down to get it to work on salt beaches which means you lose all your depth.

I have a Tesoro Conquistador, it works fine above the high tide line at the beach but is terrible in wet salt sand.

Even Tesoro said they were not good in wet salt sand, only the Sand Shark and Tiger Shark were advised for hunting salt beaches.

Something to remember, the danger isn't just getting the detector dunked or splashed to get wet, you also have a salt spray in the air, and on detectors, with speakers on the face plate or back plate, you get the salt spray inside the detectors. Worked in detector repair center, we got lots of detectors in that had problems and when opened up they were full of corrosion from the salt spray, owners would tell us they never went in the water so how is there corrosion on the inside, I then asked if they covered up the speakers and face plate and they said no.

Guess it all depends on what I call wet sand. Like I mentioned I didnā€™t get too close to the water. Low tide but it wasnā€™t completely dry. It was compact damp sand maybe. I think the sensitivity was set way down because of it being somewhat unstable. I only did it once because of my fear of getting it wet. Youā€˜re right that salt spray in the air isnā€™t the best for those machine.

If I could find a new old stock Sand Shark I would be all over it. Have not seen one. I think that might be the better of the two Tesoro machines built for beach condition. I like the straight forward (PI) circuitry. Iā€™ll be doing a lot of digging which I donā€™t mind on the beach. It seems like the Land Shark could be a little skittish on the beach but it does have some disc. Saying that I believe you dig it all on the beach so what would be the point having discrimination.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess it all depends on what I call wet sand. Like I mentioned I didnā€™t get too close to the water. Low tide but it wasnā€™t completely dry. It was compact damp sand maybe. I think the sensitivity was set way down because of it being somewhat unstable. I only did it once because of my fear of getting it wet. Youā€˜re right that salt spray in the air isnā€™t the best for those machine.

If I could find a new old stock Sand Shark I would be all over it. Have not seen one. I think that might be the better of the two Tesoro machines built for beach condition. I like the straight forward (PI) circuitry. Iā€™ll be doing a lot of digging which I donā€™t mind on the beach. It seems like the Land Shark could be a little skittish on the beach but it does have some disc. Saying that I believe you dig it all on the beach so what would be the point having discrimination.
First I hope you know I am not challenging what you are saying, only advising what I have found, both from experience detecting and from the 5 years I worked for Minelab and Kellyco.

Yes, I sorta suspected you had the sensitivity turned down low, otherwise, it would be very unstable. I bought a sand shark used with a bigfoot, but the bigfoot coil was bad so I returned it to the seller.

On the beach I did everything that isn't iron, that is the only discrimination I use at the beach.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I hope you know I am not challenging what you are saying, only advising what I have found, both from experience detecting and from the 5 years I worked for Minelab and Kellyco.

Yes, I sorta suspected you had the sensitivity turned down low, otherwise, it would be very unstable. I bought a sand shark used with a bigfoot, but the bigfoot coil was bad so I returned it to the seller.

On the beach I did everything that isn't iron, that is the only discrimination I use at the beach.
No, didnā€™t take it that way at all.

I love my Tesoro. Just wish they where still in business. Looks like Iā€™ll be forced to learn some new technology here shortly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions