L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tones on the AT Pro are ok in when using pro modes. I still use it quite a bit for fresh water hunting. Garrett makes very dependable machines.
I always thought of getting a Supertraq. There are Supertraq pcb's for sale on ebay fairly cheap and thought of making a waterproof version with fixed coil.

Have you used yours for any beach hunting?
No never tried one on the beach

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a Tiger Shark, Vaquero, Tejon, Bandido 2, Bandido 2 uMax and Lobo Super Traq.
The best of them all was for sure the Lobo Super Traq. This is also the only detector today i still have from Tesoro. I didn't used it the last 4 years because it's not a good coin shooter. Today i think that 75% of the gold jewelry i own came from my Super Traq.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon with the 10x12 widescan is a great machine for sniffing out finds from heavily hunted sites. Makes a good cleanup machine. Machine has some serious depth.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Good cleanup machine because of depth or separation?

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For here it has descent depth, I have machines that go deeper, it is more that I can hear good targets vs bad without all the chatter and constant beeping. Keeping sensitivity on the brink of stability helps pick out targets that many machines may skip or show as ground phase especially at depth.
If I was to use All Metal (gen mode on the kruzer) I would have to listen for the size and depth of every target with the vco audio and watch the screen for any id's or kicks in the fe meter. It is effective hunting but can drain you very quickly in high iron contaminated grounds. Discriminating out iron in a VDI machine is not nearly as finite as an analog machine. One of the best things I like about the Tejon which is probably same with all the Tesoro's is they have a soft break where you can not completely eliminate a target but rather get them to crackle. Sort of along the lines of iron audio.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found more gold jewelry with Tesoro's than any other brand. I had a Golden Umax that I found 4 gold wedding bands with at the local ball field complex. This was in a month period. Fabulous detector! I also found my oldest coin a 1780 Spanish silver with a Cibola. Found it right against a rebar sidewalk. Six inches deep. Old tech that still works!

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my Tesoro Lobo ST along with others to the Arizona desert to compare them. The Lobo found everything the others did. VDI for anything but coins is pretty useless.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI has it's place when coin shooting but if your hunting old sites for coins and relics then particular numbers are not that important. What is important is what is iron and what is not.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. Like I mentioned I haven't used it in years. In fact I haven't used any detector at all in a long time. So I really don't have anything to compare it with. I'll take your comment under consideration. I had a Garrett prior to the Tesoro. But that was so long ago I can't even remember which one it was.

One draw back for me with this old of a detector is my hearing isn't what it used to be. That's one of the reasons I was looking at the Garrett AT Pro. I really need something that can verify visually what I'm hearing. But alas, I'm retired and thus on a very tight budget. But spring is some months away here in Utah. So it will give me time to experiment with the Silver uMax and decide what my needs are.
So!
Hearing is problem, eh? Well there are many others in your budget limits,
that have VDI numbers, and other visual helps, that might provide you with
plenty of fun - ENJOY....!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Found 13 silvers (10 mercs/2 Rosie's) with my Silver Umax back in December.

Just my luck that my chosen MD companies (White's/Tesoro) went out. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread