Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro has had a "cult following," for 20-years! Many of us still use our Tesoro machines now and then. I know a fella in Pennsylvania, that likes his Compadre, more than his Equinox 600. Tesoro machines will be around for years to come.:headbang:

MFF18B

Nov 24, 2018
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro’s: Bandido II µMax, Mojave
Nokta Makro: Legend
XP: Deus 2
Minelab: Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty much new to this hobby, however I have used an AT Pro at work several times. I have been lurking here for a couple years but never really took the plunge and purchased my own detector. However, every time I get on here I find myself gravitating towards the Tesoro page and related posts, not exactly sure why. Plus, I enjoy watching the Oak Island show and even though Gary doesn't use a Tesoro, it makes me want one for some reason. So, long story short, I took advice from Terry Soloman and several others and finally got myself a Vaquero and am in the process of figuring that thing out and I'm in the process of trying to find a Mojave and a Bandido 2 microMax. Im sure I dont need them or if they would even compliment each other, but after thinking about them for the past 2 years, its admittedly become a little bit of an obsession at this point, lol. After I feed my Tesoro fix, Ill probably get a Nox or the New Nokta Makro machine and call it a day. Hope I didn't ramble and this makes some sort of sense.

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty much new to this hobby, however I have used an AT Pro at work several times. I have been lurking here for a couple years but never really took the plunge and purchased my own detector. However, every time I get on here I find myself gravitating towards the Tesoro page and related posts, not exactly sure why. Plus, I enjoy watching the Oak Island show and even though Gary doesn't use a Tesoro, it makes me want one for some reason. So, long story short, I took advice from Terry Soloman and several others and finally got myself a Vaquero and am in the process of figuring that thing out and I'm in the process of trying to find a Mojave and a Bandido 2 microMax. Im sure I dont need them or if they would even compliment each other, but after thinking about them for the past 2 years, its admittedly become a little bit of an obsession at this point, lol. After I feed my Tesoro fix, Ill probably get a Nox or the New Nokta Makro machine and call it a day. Hope I didn't ramble and this makes some sort of sense.
Nice
Welcome to the Tesoro club
I have tried and had alot of different make detectors , but always come back to Tesoro,
They are just fun to use and I always find something, it's a learning curve that ends with lots of satisfaction.
Terry I remember when you used nothing but Tesoro

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best results on gold jewelry i had with my Tesoro Lobo Super traq. I still have the detector but don't use it for the moment because altough it's very good on gold it is not a good coin shooter. Even today, still 75% of the gold jewelry i found came from this detector. I think this was the best detector Tesoro brought on the market. I have owned a Vaquero, Tejon, Tigershark, Bandido Umax, Tigershark and Compadre but non of them came close to the Super Traq

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what are your thoughts on the tesoro tejon? thats the one i have.
One of the best machines Tesoro made. Very sensitive and deep. Hard to learn and keep ground balanced, but once you know the machine it is a killer!

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of the church, and rarely use anything else. The Cibola is my go-to for covering large areas and hunting woods. The Compadre is the greatest instrument ever used by man. I have not watched the Oak Island thing for what seems like years, but I can only assume the reason they have not found anything is because they do not have a Tesoro.

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tejon and it is a gnarly machine.. It can almost feel borderline unstable, until you understand how to dial it in and listen to it. There isn't a better analog machine IMO.

Vaquero is something I want to get my hands on though. I hear it's comparable to the Tejon, but with the single 9v

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Omg
Thanks for the memory " church of the Compadre "
Fantastic machine
I'm going to buy another, should never have sold mine.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of the church, and rarely use anything else. The Cibola is my go-to for covering large areas and hunting woods. The Compadre is the greatest instrument ever used by man. I have not watched the Oak Island thing for what seems like years, but I can only assume the reason they have not found anything is because they do not have a Tesoro.
That's the funniest thing I read today, good one, because it might be true.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Tesoro Silver uMax. I haven't used it in years, but I'm hoping to start using it again this coming spring.
I'm saving up for an AT Pro. But after reading some of the comments here, I think I will see how it performs before investing in another machine.

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Silver uMax. I haven't used it in years, but I'm hoping to start using it again this coming spring.
I'm saving up for an AT Pro. But after reading some of the comments here, I think I will see how it performs before investing in another machine.
I hate dogging on a Tesoro, because I'm a definite fan of the company and several of their machines.. that said, I'm not a big fan of the Silver uMax. It has the worst depth of all the Tesoro's that I've played with.

I still have mine though.. it's an extra for kids.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate dogging on a Tesoro, because I'm a definite fan of the company and several of their machines.. that said, I'm not a big fan of the Silver uMax. It has the worst depth of all the Tesoro's that I've played with.
Interesting. Like I mentioned I haven't used it in years. In fact I haven't used any detector at all in a long time. So I really don't have anything to compare it with. I'll take your comment under consideration. I had a Garrett prior to the Tesoro. But that was so long ago I can't even remember which one it was.

One draw back for me with this old of a detector is my hearing isn't what it used to be. That's one of the reasons I was looking at the Garrett AT Pro. I really need something that can verify visually what I'm hearing. But alas, I'm retired and thus on a very tight budget. But spring is some months away here in Utah. So it will give me time to experiment with the Silver uMax and decide what my needs are.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got many hours in my Tejon here. Audio with just a single tone still surpasses any digital machine. Too much gets lost when the signal is synthasised and converted to numbers.
Last couple years had trouble with mine as the pots are pretty worn out. Sounds where pretty flat and too bright. Had a can of pot cleaner and machine is running better than ever.
Use my Tejon for hunting the really tough and hunted out sites with a 10x12 widescan. Not worried about silver target wrap as many of the sites have been stripped of silvers. Still the old coppers , small silvers.

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once had the AT pro
It was okay, but solid it after 2 weeks
Didn't like the tones.
For tones I think the Tesoro Lobo supertraq has it.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tones on the AT Pro are ok in when using pro modes. I still use it quite a bit for fresh water hunting. Garrett makes very dependable machines.
I always thought of getting a Supertraq. There are Supertraq pcb's for sale on ebay fairly cheap and thought of making a waterproof version with fixed coil.

Have you used yours for any beach hunting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread