Tesoro Golden µMax Finds A Truck Load Of Silver

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to get a early start this morning to beat the heat. I arrived at the location where I found the Walking Liberty yesterday, I'd say around 7:15. Today I wanted to give the Golden µMax some swing time. I set it up to run hot: full sensitivity and threshold, with the discrimination set at the preset mark. If I set the discrimination any lower it would start to chatter. I set the notch switch to the 'off' position and set the notch 'width' control knob to where a beaver tail pull tab's audio response was barely breaking from the zinc audio tone into the nickel (gold) audio tone.

I found 12 wheat pennies and a bunch of clad coins, so I know if I got my coil over a silver coin it would be mine. My Golden µMax is amazingly deep. It was giving a good high audio tone on coppers at 7 inches deep. The deep wheat pennies were giving a mixed audio response of a zinc audio tone with a little silver high audio tone mixed in.

About a hour into my hunt a guy came walking down the street and I could tell that he was curious, so I took off my headphones and said good morning to him. Come to find out, he lives several houses down the street, so I asked him if I could detect his yard. He said yes I could. I asked him if he like tomatoes and he said that he loved tomatoes. I grabbed a sack of them out of my car that I just picked from my garden. He smile really big and said he was going fix himself a bunch of BLT sandwiches. It pays to be nice.:angel3:

Back to the hunt. I decided to work the back yard some to see what I could find. As I was rounding the huge old oak tree, I got a solid high tone that figured was a surface quarter. I dug down a few inches a popped a 1966 Kennedy Half Dollar. I can't believe that I found two half dollars from the same yard.

Around 9:30 I decided to call it day and headed for the house. I think that I'm going to give the Cibola some swing time on that guy's house down to street in the next day or two.

tabman

Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20001_zpsi6zsqhzi.jpg

Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20007_zpsqw2doiko.jpg
Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20011_zpsegjbzh8i.jpg

Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20004_zps6eiuuqgi.jpg

Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20005_zpsp12vtzcj.jpg

Golden%20uMax%201966%20Kennedy%20Half%20Dollar%20013_zpsjdywdcry.jpg

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the truck load. It does pay to be nice. Looks like you will be busy for a while. I'd think your saying would be "So many detectors, & So little time".

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the truck load. It does pay to be nice. Looks like you will be busy for a while. I'd think your saying would be "So many detectors, & So little time".

Thanks. I really do need to thin my detector arsenal some. My go to detector is my modded Tesoro Cibola with the Sharpshooter coil attached, but I also like using my other detectors.

tabman

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry Tab At the rate you find silver you will need a bigger truck.HH

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry Tab At the rate you find silver you will need a bigger truck.HH

Thanks. I get lucky every once in awhile.

tabman

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Proof enough the Golden is deep enough !

Impressive haul !

Would you say the Golden is deeper with the 8" coil C/W the 9x8?

I read that a while agou but could never get confirmation. I swing the 9x8 and it's pretty deep too, especially when the unit is set "hot".

Happy hunting

Grumpy.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Proof enough the Golden is deep enough !

Impressive haul !

Would you say the Golden is deeper with the 8" coil C/W the 9x8?

I read that a while agou but could never get confirmation. I swing the 9x8 and it's pretty deep too, especially when the unit is set "hot".

Happy hunting

Grumpy.

Thanks.

I can't tell if there is any difference in depth between the 8 inch doughnut coil and the 9 x 8 inch coil. However, it's important to get the that right coil matched up with the Golden wither it be the 8 inch or 9 x 8 inch search coil. The coil that I have on my Golden now is a perfect match! The new audio tone Golden that have is one hot machine. It's not quite as deep as the Tejon, Deleon, Cortes, or Vaquero, but it's as deep or deeper than the rest of the µMax detectors that I've used.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks.

I can't tell if there is any difference in depth between the 8 inch doughnut coil and the 9 x 8 inch coil. However, it's important to get the that right coil matched up with the Golden wither it be the 8 inch or 9 x 8 inch search coil. The coil that I have on my Golden now is a perfect match! The new audio tone Golden that have is one hot machine. It's not quite as deep as the Tejon, Deleon, Cortes, or Vaquero, but it's as deep or deeper than the rest of the µMax detectors that I've used.

tabman

Thanks a lot.

I swing the new tones version too.

I will stick with the coil I have, and buy the 5.75" concentric coil.

HH

Grumpy

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grump, give these settings a try with your Golden µMax. It just amazes me what it's capable of doing once you learn how to use it. I don't normally use any discrimination when I use the Golden or notch for that matter, but I thought I'd see what it would do at finding the silver coin on the pull tab test board. It's audio tone dropped down to the zinc audio tone, but that's OK since you're digging everything above pull tab anyway.

tabman

kaolinwasher

Greenie
Jun 21, 2014
Isainti county Minnesota
Detector(s) used
currently own a Euro saber, silver micromax with ground balance mode, & a updated mirage P.I custom built by sven
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep a truck load, just a small one . nice coin Tab

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread