Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In response to calabash's statement above....if modern tech means i will need to constantly get "updates" or upgrades to my machine, i will stick with my old-tech units that are working fine and costing me nothing. Minelab lost my vote on the equinox when its already needing updates??? If it is so great and they are so sure of it, wh not give the original purchaser a lifetime warranty? They arent that confident are they? I'll just take my equinox money and buy a second Tejon just incase TEsoro goes under and mine ever breaks.....

I see it a bit differently. As a gold prospector, I've used Minelab SD; GP; GPX; and the GPZ. In "the old days," bugs and updates had to be fixed or upgraded at the repair center. Now, you just plug your machine into your home computer and PRESTO! Progress baby, I'm down with it!:skullflag:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shopping for all those obsolete IC's ain't getting any easier or cheaper.

I once had the entire free world supply of a certain transistor (a stinking transistor, not even an integrated circuit) in my lower right desk drawer in a plastic bag with a paper label in the bag. Why is this interesting - maybe no reason. But in fact a successful product produced by my aerospace employer which went on launch vehicles for NASA need this part in the qualified design. Changing out that part would mean "re-qual" and that would cost a huge bunch of $$$. So old Rick had to spend 2 months playing Dick Tracey to get "traceability" on the parts. Digging up paperwork from lots of different sources to trace the "goodness" of these things back to lot and date code from the original manufacturer and every place in between where these changed hands. Luckily I succeeded and my annual review went well.

Point being. in the electronics world stuff gets old fast. What you could build yesterday, you may not be able to build tomorrow because the parts are obsolete. Even more sneaky - the part number may still be out there, but a different manufacturer or a different production line may mean the tolerances are different. Dealing with that takes engineers and technicians and in today's full employment economy, those folks don't come cheap.

I am not optimistic. But I never have been - they used to pay me well to be a pessimist - and I was good at it.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerinVa, I'm with you. I'm not updating my "updateable" machine anymore. Just when you get to know it, they change stuff.

Hey Smokey, i was reading your head to head comparison between Deus/Equinox/Vaquero in Culpeper.....Nice POST! What coil did yall have on the Vaquero?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
In response to calabash's statement above....if modern tech means i will need to constantly get "updates" or upgrades to my machine, i will stick with my old-tech units that are working fine and costing me nothing. Minelab lost my vote on the equinox when its already needing updates??? If it is so great and they are so sure of it, wh not give the original purchaser a lifetime warranty? They arent that confident are they? I'll just take my equinox money and buy a second Tejon just incase TEsoro goes under and mine ever breaks.....
Lifetime warranty's are not free.You pay for it. Its built into the cost of the machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the one question it was the 8 x 11 dd.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron from The Gold Diggers just announced on Detect America's live stream show that someone is buying Tesoro … He did not say who …..

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

don't count on it breaking! quality control on a tesoro is superb!
i don't believe foreign detectors quality control is equal to a tesoro.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got enough Tesoros plus several others to last me my remaining years. I hate to see then go, but who knows how it'll shake out in the end.
luvsdux

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some time ago I emailed regarding becoming an agent. I have a fairly sound electronics background so no issue swapping out faulty boards,pots etc. I purchase all stock so no risk to them. They never replied.
Wouldnt even respond to a bulk purchase.
Wouldnt even respond to a single purchase.

In retrospect Im glad it never worked out. They represent fairly poor *percieved value in todays market.

I think they do have a place in the market, just a much smaller place.

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit too much 'sameness' in the range in my opinion also. Maybe they should just scale down.Mojave, Vaquero, and the two waterproof machines.

Chub

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Some time ago I emailed regarding becoming an agent. I have a fairly sound electronics background so no issue swapping out faulty boards,pots etc. I purchase all stock so no risk to them. They never replied.
Wouldnt even respond to a bulk purchase.
Wouldnt even respond to a single purchase.

In retrospect Im glad it never worked out. They represent fairly poor *percieved value in todays market.

I think they do have a place in the market, just a much smaller place.

Chub

believe it or not!..i have heard numerous people say that tesoro
does NOT answer e-mails! ..so it may be that you had a good proposal,and they never read it!
it's possible!..if you tried to call them in the past most said they had better luck! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read on another site that the deal to purchase Tesoro didn't happen and they're closing. Anyone else hear that?

Thanks,

Dan

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, Tabman said a year or so ago that Rusty told him that they could not keep up with orders and they were expanding the factory and hiring on new people. ahhaaahhaaaa. Wonder which one was lying? No one even the almighty Terry saw that coming. Guess I was right when about three years ago I gave Tesoro 5 more years. But all these gossipers just could not accept it and came forth with their illusions that junior was doing great things. hahaha

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not unusual for a company like this to lay off most of their factory staff during slow periods of production. Especially if they are way ahead of schedule, and have produced more stock then they need during a given period. Many times small companies will do a mass slow down as to keep the "fire from getting bigger then what they can handle", sort of speak.

So far there has been NO evidence that Tesoro is going out of business. If you pay attention, you will note that they recently just produced a new machine "Mojave", and it may be that they hired a lot of extra help to build a large stock of them, and now that the job is accomplished, it would not be unusual to lay off all that extra help rather then paying a bunch of people to stand around and twiddle their thumbs. If they are doing a restructure that could also mean a another new model in the works.

Ether way I hope this to be the case. I wouldn't think a company with such a loyal cult following would just close down without sending out a press release. Sometimes little companies will pull stunts like this just to create a scare or buzz to get people talking enough to generate sales for an upcoming newer machine.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go to the front door, they look like they are just closed for the day. Desks and catalogs are still there. I work for the electric company, and am in the area a couple of times a week, but have not seen anybody there since their announcement.

Its not a huge place. Sits on a hill, is one story on the main street (White Spar), and two stories at the rear. Hope they reopen. I know several people that swear by them.

Mike

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called to check on my coil being repaired a few days ago. Vince said they have a bunch of repairs to do and are working on them. I just flat out asked him if they were going under....his answer was "we are going through a restructuring and I hope we come out of it.". I said "me too."

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I def. Want to see a reopen. I love my Tejon and want to see them continue on. Maybe they can come up with some new tech to get some good sales going.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
believe it or not!..i have heard numerous people say that tesoro
does NOT answer e-mails! ..so it may be that you had a good proposal,and they never read it!
it's possible!..if you tried to call them in the past most said they had better luck! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I sent Tesoro e-mails years ago and never got a answer and i found out after a while not to e-mail them . Just call them and you get a answer right away.And i also found out for myself i do not like to e-mail now i would rather talk to people so now i just call any one i have a problem with and it works great .So just trying to talk to people you might like it.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I called to check on my coil being repaired a few days ago. Vince said they have a bunch of repairs to do and are working on them. I just flat out asked him if they were going under....his answer was "we are going through a restructuring and I hope we come out of it.". I said "me too."

Restructuring at times goes hand in hand with bankruptcy. Actually, may not be a bad thing for Tesoro...if it will wake up some engineers, DIGITAL, and bring them up to date.

g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread