Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
mrs.oroblanco said:
We have 2 - we love them - we use them for nugget hunting (suc..cessfully), relic hunting (successfully) and coin-shooting (also successfully).

What I love best about them, they are a "turn on and go" machine. We also have Garretts and White's, but 9-1/2 times out of 10, its the Tesoro that goes in our hands.

They may not have all the bells and whistles, but it "speaks" differently for different objects, and I can usually tell what is trash and what is not.

B
That sounds like it is a good detector so it has ...tone ID... diffrent coins will give diffrent sounds????? ==Jim==

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
roachnjim,

Wow I must be spending too much time on TreasureNet! I could have swore I just answered that question a day or two ago? Jim the Lobo does not have tone ID.

This is what I replyed to a post a day or two ago concerning the use of a Lobo for coin shooting:
----"Here's my take on the Tesoro Lobo's usefullness as a coin machine: I don't sell the Lobo as a coin machine because it lacks the whistles and bells that most people want in a high priced coinshooter. It does not have any sort of target ID, either visual or audio, no digital readout,and it comes with a oversize 10" elliptical coil. O.K., here is the plus side of using it as a coinshooter: It goes deep, it has the ability with the Super Traq computerized ground tracking system to work in ground conditions that would defeat other detectors,
you can body mount it, it uses Tesoro's famous discrimination circuitry, and you can purchase a smaller coil for it.
Those are the facts about that detector as I see it." -------- Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't have a coin ID - but, once you have used it for awhile, you can hear subtle differences in it. That's not a marketing feature, it's just how it sounds. But it doesn't id anything.

Still my personal favorite.

B

Joe is on the button on the use of this detector for coinshooting. True it doesn't have tone ID, but after using it a while like Mrs. Oroblanco says, your ear learns some differences in the way the sound ramps up and down over a target. That is the best way I can explain it. You just need to learn your detector. It is a hot detector for tiny gold charms and chains too besides nuggets.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
roachnjim,

Wow I must be spending too much time on TreasureNet! I could have swore I just answered that question a day or two ago? Jim the Lobo does not have tone ID.

This is what I replyed to a post a day or two ago concerning the use of a Lobo for coin shooting:
----"Here's my take on the Tesoro Lobo's usefullness as a coin machine: I don't sell the Lobo as a coin machine because it lacks the whistles and bells that most people want in a high priced coinshooter. It does not have any sort of target ID, either visual or audio, no digital readout,and it comes with a oversize 10" elliptical coil. O.K., here is the plus side of using it as a coinshooter: It goes deep, it has the ability with the Super Traq computerized ground tracking system to work in ground conditions that would defeat other detectors,
you can body mount it, it uses Tesoro's famous discrimination circuitry, and you can purchase a smaller coil for it.
Those are the facts about that detector as I see it." -------- Joe
Yes Joe i read your other answer. ,But i posted the question twice don't know why but i did you are not loseing your mind.Sorry. ==Jim==

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I'm with Joe and Sandman.

In fact, it may be a very good all-around choice, if not one of THE best. I find Tesoro detectors to be some of the best detectors made, and all but a certain few handle bad ground better than other brands. Personally, if I were to get a new Tesoro I'd get a Lobo Super Trac, Silver uMax, or Compadre. Those are the ones that do the best in this nasty soil here in the Pac NW and run the smoothest, and the Lobo is the best and most powerful of the three. It's real tough to beat a new Tesoro for discrimination abilities.

PS: The battle rages on about which is the best nuggett hunter made because of the struggle of which is more important, tiny gold or big nuggetts. The most popular nugget hunter made today is the Fisher GoldBug 2, and the next most popular is the White's GMT. Ask THOSE owners why. Then ask a Lobo Super Trac owner why. That's where you will get your answer. Check at Metaldetectorreviews.net for some wisdom on the subject.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Doing my job as being the working part of a wash machine (the agitator), I'll add my normal negative comments which will all be quickly refuted.

1. The Lobo is too much money for what you get. The Silver uMax will go just as deep and is a whole lot cheaper. The Minelab GT is far more machine for about the same money. With the GT you get true AUTO ground balance in discriminational mode plus very distinct tones to ID targets. And too, the GT is much deeper.

2. The Lobo ground tracking system works ONLY in all-metal mode. In discriminational mode you are just like the Silver uMax.

3. The Lobo under-the-shaft design is not as comfortable or as convenient as the above shaft design of the new uMax and "HOT" line of machines.

Is the Lobo a good detector? Sure it is for what it is. But when you start shopping around and comparing it with others, well, there ya go.

Badger

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Michigan Badger,

I don't think you are agitating at all. Your giving your honest opinion about something that you know a lot about. To tell the truth, I even agree with you most of the time!
Gold nugget hunting is a metal detecting subject that I know very little about. I just haven't had any experience doing it. I would think that if I was to go nugget hunting,that I would hunt in all metal mode though? Your #1 and #2 comments seem to suggest that it's better to hunt in discrimination? Your comment #3 about the weight or comfort, Is a pole mount preferred by nugget hunters over a hip mount? Joe

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Michigan Badger,

I don't think you are agitating at all. Your giving your honest opinion about something that you know a lot about. To tell the truth, I even agree with you most of the time!
Gold nugget hunting is a metal detecting subject that I know very little about. I just haven't had any experience doing it. I would think that if I was to go nugget hunting,that I would hunt in all metal mode though? Your #1 and #2 comments seem to suggest that it's better to hunt in discrimination? Your comment #3 about the weight or comfort, Is a pole mount preferred by nugget hunters over a hip mount? Joe

Thanks Joe. I always tend to comment thinking of coin/relic hunting and never gold nugget hunting since I never do that. Not too much gold in Michigan ;D

For coins and jewelry, I think discrimination hunting is the only way to go. That is, unless one has a spot with very little trash and lots of coins. Believe it or not that does happen. My buddy hunts farm fields in southern California for early Spanish cobs. He has found a hot spot and litterally kills them. Most are copper cobs but he has also found several large gold escudo cobs and one 1/2 reale cob (I now own it). A dream come true for any THer. Anyway, in that rare situation coin hunting in all-metal is diffinitely in order. That extra inch or 2 of depth comes in handy.

I really do like all the Tesoros and probably will buy more in the future. There's something about them that just gets to you. There just plain fun machines. But for coin/ring/relic hunting I personally would have to choose a GT over the Lobo. We have such a great feature difference here.

Badger

macfleetwood

Jul 1, 2008
It Seems To Me That Too Many People Want To Open Mouth And Insert Foot In Too Many Of These So Called Metal Detector Forums!! Most Of You Guys Try To Pretend You Are Some Kind Of Expert When In Fact You Have NOT Done Your Homework!
Most Of What I See Is Guess Work At Best..OR..Opinionated Opinion's!! A Lot Of You Seem To Think If EVERYONE Is Not Using Your Brand Or Style Of Detector..That One Is Just Out In "Left Field"!!
There Are Lots Of Good Detectors Out There..The Again..There's Lots Of "JUNK" Being Sold Under False Pretense!! It Is Up To The Individual To Do His Or Her Due Diligence
To Come Up With The Right Detector For His Or Her Application! Just Because "Joe" Found A 10 Lb Gold Bar With XYZ Machine Does NOT Mean You Should Run Out & Buy A Machine Just Like Joe's!!! I Have Been In The Field Over 20 Years..I Have Been Using Garrett Machines Exclusively..Why? Because They WORK And I Felt Secure In My Knowledge And Expertise With The Machines! It's True Of ANY Machine..It's Only As Good As The Person Using The Machine!! If You Are NOT Willing To Do The HOMEWORK On YOUR Machine And Do The RESEARCH On The Areas To Prospect..Save YOUR Money!! EVERY Machine Sold Serves A Primary Function!!! NOT Every Machine Finds Raw Gold!!!! For A Detector To Find Raw Gold,
It Must Have A Specific Frequency..Expect To Spend $600 Up For This Type Machine!! However, A Machine That Detects Raw Gold Is Also A Great Machine For Coins And Relics!! All I Have EVER Used Is A Machine That Does It ALL!! A Land Machine That I Also Used In The Water And Vice Versa..As Long As You Don't Get The Control Box Wet You Are In Good Shape!! WHY Have Multiple Detectors?? YOU Are Wasting Your MONEY!! BUY The Best All Round Detector YOU Can Buy, Learn It Like The Back Of Your Hand And You Will Be Dollars Ahead!! I Have Just Bought The Tesoro Lobo S/T..I See Very FEW Post About This Machine Across The Spectrum..What I Do See Is Very "Vague"..At Best..I Hope To Be In The "Field" With This Machine Next Week..I Will Post Regular Updates! Good Luck To All..

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I agree too much of something, or mabey a a lack of something.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gadabout - Jim said:
Sandman or joe..or anyone ..Is the Tesoro Lobo Super Trac.. a good detector for coins? ???...I know that it is a prospecting detector and what i see posted is that it is better for prospecting than the Minelab Eureka.......................... ==Jim==

My two cents.......Tesoro is the best value for the money. Minelab and Whites can't touch Tesoro on the proformance to value ratio on the Silver UMax, Cibola, Vaquero, and the Lobo Super Traq. With these four machines, Tesoro has equaled or surpassed the all the VLF machines that Minelab and Whites currently have out in the field, and they did for less coin.

As for the Lobo Super Traq for coins, it works very nicely. It may not have the multi-frequency operation of the Minelab GT, but the GT is no good for nugget hunting, whereas, the Lobo Super Traq is considered a great nugget hunter, a good relic hunter, and a good coin hunter.

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is a bit dated but since I’ve owned the Lobo for 15 years I can speak about it.

It is a serious beep detecting gold hunter. In full metal mode and the SuperTraq feature it‘s hard to beat.

As far as coins if you hunt in just above 3 disc you’ll cut out all foil and iron for the most most part. Pull tabs is a different story even with discrimination maxed out you find them.

For coin shooting in a trashy park search in Disc mode. Set discrimination just above 3 and dig everything. You’ll get pull tabs etc. but you’ll find coins and jewelry at surprising debths.

Just my 2 paso’s worth 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread