Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have owned my LST for about 6 months and I love it. If you want an all around machine that does nuggets, coinshoots, and relics, this is the machine for you. It comes stock with the 10" eliptical wide scan that helps to cancel out minerlized soil, I also have the 5.75" nugget coil for trashy areas, a 9x8 concentric that is good for better discrimination, and a 12x10 DD coil that goes really deep. The Double D coil is great for covering a lot of ground, the radiation pattern is a fan shaped as opposed to a cone shape with the concentrics. The fan shaped pattern makes it so you don't have to overlap on your passes as much. With the concentric coils, to be through, you need to overlap each pass by 40%. With these coils the LST is a go anywhere detector. As far as gold, this detector has found small flakes. On a regular basis I find objects at 15"+. This is a very sensitive machine, so just get ready to dig!

N

NewbMtlDetectr

Hey 323,

I just bought a new Lobo tonight. Are there any settings you usually find yourself at when hunting for gold in the hills/streams, rings on a beach, or what about in a park with nice soil? As you can see I am a newb and am still reading the manual. Also, what is your favorite coil for nugget hunting given average soil?

T

TreasureTales

I've had my Lobo for about 7 or 8 years. I like it because it's simple to operate, has great sensitivity, has a built-in pinpointer, and is versatile. The drawback is its weight. Although, that too can be improved by removing the body from the stem and attaching the body to my belt. I see newer machines with their higher tech meters and windows but I still think my Lobo is great for me. I've got my ears tuned in pretty well by now, so I can usually tell when I've detected junk and when I've detected something interesting. I've found gold rings, silver rings, numerous coins, relics, and one small nugget. I'll be using it in the desert later this month.

marjo

Oct 10, 2006
Hello Mrs Oroblanco
I just got my lobo and was out on the back yard md'ing
spent best part of the day digging up the lawn found one quarter two pennies half ton of aluminum
all sizes of nails nuts and bolts

I'm feeling pretty tired and hope the lawn recuperates from the intrutions I inflicted on it or the wife is going to make me get new sod in the spring and not let me dig it up anymore

thanks for the tips on the settings its vary hard to distinguish the deference in the tones between trash and anything else foil gives you a vary strong signal aluminum doesthe same sound gold barely makes a sound

Keep posting tips so some of us don't get discouraged with this hobby

Thanks
marjo

F

foxbat

According to you, does the lobo ST works on beach or is there any problem because of salted sand?
I don t know what is more suitable a white's dfx or a lobo, as I am searching beach in summer and forest during the year and I don t know what I must purchase

T

TreasureTales

foxbat said:
According to you, does the lobo ST works on beach or is there any problem because of salted sand?
I don t know what is more suitable a white's dfx or a lobo, as I am searching beach in summer and forest during the year and I don t know what I must purchase

Hi foxbat, I don't know much about the White's DFX, but I've been swinging my Lobo for several years and wouldn't trade it for anything (at least not at this point in time). I've used mine in alll situations..,beaches--freshwater & saltwater, forests, deserts, even in freshwater (but DON"T GET THE BRAINS WET). It has performed admirably for me. I've never encountered problems with the sand on the Pacific coast, there are ways of setting the knobs and toggle switches to eliminate just about any problem. Using the switch for Normal-Black Sand-Alkali can reduce or eliminate soil conditions. The Sensitivity and Descrimination knobs can handle the nails that are inherent in the beaches in this area. Pulltabs are a problem only because I want to find nickels and gold, so I don't use much descrimination EVER. The highest I ever set mine is between 3 & 4 so that I can still get nickels and gold and all other coins and jewelry as well. When in the desert searching for gold, I use All Metals mode.

Metal detectors are a lot like makes of cars, you can always find somebody who will be loyal to his make. And you can also find folks who have more than one, depending on the job at hand. Myself, because it's versatile, I'll stick with the Lobo Super Traq (and my Chevy!! lol). Happy Hunting, whichever you choose!

marjo

Oct 10, 2006
This is a very sensitive machine
You have to be ready to dig can use much discrimination or you wont get anything worth !!!
Went out yesterday with my neighbor she as a BH 3300 and she cleaned up she whooped my butt
its vary difficult to get used to this machine it does pick up every thing try to discriminate out iron and you almost lose the gold iron at more than 5" deep sounds just like gold its vary frustrating to go out everybody else is digging decent finds and your ahead of them removing all the junk

T

TreasureTales

marjo said:
This is a very sensitive machine
You have to be ready to dig can use much discrimination or you wont get anything worth !!!
Went out yesterday with my neighbor she as a BH 3300 and she cleaned up she whooped my butt
its vary difficult to get used to this machine it does pick up every thing try to discriminate out iron and you almost lose the gold iron at more than 5" deep sounds just like gold its vary frustrating to go out everybody else is digging decent finds and your ahead of them removing all the junk

Yes, the lobo is a sensitive machine and that's a great thing!! When I hunt for coins and jewelry I usually set the descrimination to slightly lower than 4 (between 3 & 4) so that I don't block nickels. And I put the soil mode into normal (center setting). Be sure to wear some good headphones so you can hear the differences in the signal tones. For me, aluminum is a high pitched strong signal whereas coins are a solid medium tone. I go out with friends who have Garretts, Whites, Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and I consistantly find stuff they often don't even hear. I know it takes some practice to learn the subtle differences of the tones, but you can do it!! Why did you buy the Lobo? Did you look at other brands and models first?

Don't get discouraged, you'll be finding better targets and deeper targets with some practice. ALL machines require familiarity and experience with them, the more you use your machine the better acquainted you will become with it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi from Uk, the lobo st is a very popular machine over here because it loves hammered silver coins, hammered coins a proberbly the biggest target for detecterists over here, but the discrimination knob never goes higher than 3, the higher you go the more depth you lose, targets should be id by the sound they make in your headphones,(ie, iron high pitch, round targets such as rings & coins a crisp 2 way signal,) I never have the discrim higher than 2/3 quarters in the seven years I have owned a lobo, currently I use a 10" eliptical coil, I also have a 5.75 concentric for trashy sites, dont forget to ground ballance your lobo before detecting, this is very important and must be done even if you move from field to feild, I hope this helps new users of the lobo st, here are a few of my finds from the uk.

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Group of Hammered Coins.jpg
    Group of Hammered Coins.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,511

lobo

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Whites MXT
Hello everyone, I am new here and have a question. I have a lobo that is approximately 8-10 years old, I have only put 3 sets of batteries through it. I will be using the detector much more in the near future as I will be retiring soon. The question I have is is the new LST any better? I will be getting another detector and will keep the old lobo.

T

TreasureTales

lobo said:
Hello everyone, I am new here and have a question. I have a lobo that is approximately 8-10 years old, I have only put 3 sets of batteries through it. I will be using the detector much more in the near future as I will be retiring soon. The question I have is is the new LST any better? I will be getting another detector and will keep the old lobo.

Welcome lobo. Glad to have you aboard. The Lobo Super Traq is a great machine for nugget hunting. It's also great for relics and coins. An all-around machine. This year some better multi-function machines will be on the market, but they will have to prove themselves, IMO. I think you would find the differences between the Lobo and the Super Lobo to be impressive. The SLT has auto ground balancing. A built-in pinpointer. 3 soil condition options. The brain box can be removed and hooked onto your belt so that swinging it is much easier on the arm.

Many people are going with the screen ID machines, the White's DFX is popular. Others are buying the Garrett's Ace 250 which is inexpensive and appears to be producing well. You might want to read the information available here on TNet about each manufacturer and model. Also, read the posts in Today's Finds and you can see who uses which machine. It will give you an idea of what is being used these days.

All in all, I would not part with my LST. It's easy to operate, lifetime guarantee, and good for finding everything. If you want to specialize in some facet of treasure hunting (coinshooting or nugget hunting or relic digging), you might want to consider getting something that is geared specifically for that category.

Good luck, happy hunting, and hope to see you around TreasureNet often.

lobo

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Whites MXT
TreasureTrails, What impressive differances is there from the old lobo to the new LST?

Do you know what new multi machines are coming out and where I can read up on them?

Thank you for your reply, I have been spending hours on TNet the last few days taking it all in! I still want another nugget and coin machine. Sofar it is a tossup between the LST and Whites MXT.

T

TreasureTales

lobo said:
TreasureTrails, What impressive differances is there from the old lobo to the new LST?

Do you know what new multi machines are coming out and where I can read up on them?

Thank you for your reply, I have been spending hours on TNet the last few days taking it all in! I still want another nugget and coin machine. Sofar it is a tossup between the LST and Whites MXT.

The "impressive differences" cannot be determined by myself since I have never swung the lobo, only the super lobo. You might want to go to the Tesoro website and read the specs on the LST and see how they compare to your lobo.

There is a thread around here somewhere, I read it recently but don't remember where on TNet it was posted, that some manufacturers are going to be offering all-purpose machines this year. There is some concern about them because many detectorists believe an all-purpose machine means a less-than-desirable machine in each general category: relics, coins, nuggets. IOW, some quality will be lost in the attempt to please all. I'd say that the LST has been an all-purpose machine with little loss to quality in any category. But I admit to not having swung anything else for several years. I haven't kept pace with the improvements in the electronics.

Here, check out the specs of the LST and compare them to your lobo. You can decide for yourself where the differences are. http://www.tesoro.com/lobotraq.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread