Tesoro metal detectors?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most models are super light in weight. The perfect choice for competition hunting. I have a Tesoro Conquistador that I've been using for the last 6 years in areas where I don't need a meter for I.D., it works great! Can get dimes at 6 inches. You can swing these machines for hours with no fatigue! It is warranted for life too!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just had one and personally I didn't like it... as I just stated this is purely personal, I like to have a screen that tells me if it's a good signal or not.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you learn the Tesoro it is a turn on and go machine. It will not miss anything and you can mask out what you do not like. I like the audio signal in my ear with my eyes to the ground and not looking at a machine. My Tesoro has filled display cases with relics and coins. I used a whites one day and every piece of iron said belt buckle. The tesoro goes loud on brass and lead very solid. Like a lifetime warranty from a company that has been around a long time too. If I was to trade up I might go for a e-trac but mine stays right with them on everything. I like technology so you would think I would like a screen telling me things but I do not. Just my humble opinion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What like some info abot these detectors nd what makes them so great. Also compared to VDI display detectors. thanks

Hi Jovan! Let's start by saying I have used Jack Gifford designed metal detectors since the 1970s, when I began with the old Bounty Hunter, and C & G machines. I have visited the Tesoro factory in Prescott, AZ, several times, and have friends that work there, including Rusty Henry, and Vince Gifford.

Quality: There is NO other manufacturer that gaurantees their detectors for LIFE - not one. All Tesoro machines are made in Arizona, by Americans.

Technology: Top of the line VLF technology and circuitry since 1980. Simple, deep, and the best discrimination circuitry on the market today. Fastest recovery time and best target seperation on the market period. Tesoro's "High Output Technology," puts a lot of power in a VERY small and lightweight box.

Price: Lower than any of their competitors because they set the price at the factory, and do NOT allow their dealers to soak you at the retail level with high commissions. That is why a lot of Whites dealers HATE Tesoro. They are not allowed to name their own price, or charge what the market will bear!

Results: Finds made by Tesoro owners speak for themselves. Gold, silver, platinum, Civil War relics, meteorites, the list go on-and-on.

VDI screens and numbers are a GIMMICK, plain and simple. If you are discriminating out iron and foil with a Tesoro, if you get a repeatable signal you dig it with confidence - period. If you are relying on VDI numbers as to whether or not you dig a target you WILL miss treasure. No hobbyist that has been doing this for more than five-years relies on VDI screens - we trust our machines and our EARS.

You can spend a lot of money on a toy that rolls over, wags its tail and sits when you tell it to, but if you want something that will fetch it fast - and every time - with no fanfare or wasted money, Tesoro is your machine. Serious tools for serious hunters..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many newbies think their detector should show them what is in the ground before they decide to dig it and what they fail to realize is the silly detector is only showing you the conductivity and not what it really is. That's OK as they are leaving many good items for others to find. They are very light weight and a real pleasure to use for hours and you don't need arms like Popeye.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A screen is nothing morr than a GUESS based on the conductivity of the target and many different types of targets all have the approximate same conductivity. Pull tabs and gold as example....If your relying on the screen to dig your leaving a lot of good targets for the next guy who doesn't....

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice for you is to look at VDI and target ID systems as a best guess and just a tool to help you id the find and use it as such, it is a great feature to have -- after all even the high-end Tersoro's include a display of such information now. I have to say if it is such a bad thing why do the best/most expensive Tersoro's include a display with such information too?

One really nice feature that is found in MD's that have VDI information and such is pinpointing. It is a great feature that made my recent MD upgrade worth it alone (not to mention the depth). I find a target then switch to pinpointing to better locate the target - it allows me to dig smaller plugs, find items easier, and speeds up recovery time of the item. This is also another feature that isn't available on most Tersoro detectors it appears either.

Ultimately you just need to go to a metal detector store and try some different models to see what features you want/need. Especially if they have a outside coin test area - as one of my local stores does. Better yet go detecting with someone that has a detector you can use/try for awhile and see for yourself that way as well.

Indeed VDI numbers or even target ID (what coin it is) is a best guess, or so called probability. I started out with a BH Tracker IV and upgraded to a BH Discovery 3300 for more coin depth. If you are looking for a low cost detector with VDI/target ID/pinpointing/etc, advertised depth of 10" on coins, or a Bounty Hunter brand detectorist - it is a great detector.

The Tracker IV is marketed as 6" depth, and I've had about 5" on a coin myself. If you are looking at the Tesoro detectors just be sure to get one that gets more depth otherwise you are fine with your Tracker IV - as several Tesoro models are in the 6" coin depth range as well. No need to upgrade MD's if you will get the same depth.

I will say my BH Discovery 3300's VDI and depth is usually right on with any coins in the 4" or less depth (nearly all clad coins you will find), and often better ID's the finds than my dad's Garrett Ace 250 (or often they will say the same thing - sometimes even if it is wrong). If the coin is deeper than 4" than the VDI and target ID can register wrong, or more likely jump around a bit (especially on ID'ing older coins); however, the coin depth is usually correct even then.

I set my detector to the default discrimination mode (3 types of iron disc out only) and turn the sensitivity up to a notch below the max and I have found coins at nearly 7" and other coin sized items even deeper. I imagine if there were deeper coins where I have been it would have found them. So even if the VDI or depth is off, I still dig the target as it is a good signal so it is not hurting my finds any.

GL and HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is many look at the screen as the gospel and rely on the screen entirely....They think with screens they will only dig good targets, screen is still guessing based on algorit

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Problem is many look at the screen as the gospel and rely on the screen entirely....They think with screens they will only dig good targets, screen is still guessing based on a algorithm...

That is true. But there are better guessers and just guessers. My detector, for example, most of the time and if the target isn't deep 4-5 in tops, gives me a very good guess telling me if the object is something good or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Last edited by a moderator:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the hard facts, you will miss good finds with a Target ID machine. While I use one, I know I've walked over some good targets that I would have dug with my Tesoro. They have a lifetime warranty and are extremely stable..ie, they don't chatter in high EMI and you can generally tell target size and guestimate depth after using them for a while. They are robust and shouldn't need warranty repairs. Quite frankly the lifetime warranty is like free health care...people get unnecessary check-ups. I feel sorry for Tesoro in that regard but they have a good thing going and good customer service. There is a rabid following which says a lot (in more ways than one). A lot of people consider them toys but the engineering and components they put in their units are second to none. ie, Minelab and Whites use cheap microphone connectors from the 60's for their coil connectors, Tesoro uses a high quality connector. I'm not knocking the other detector companies, I have the ones I mentioned in the post and they are great. However my Vaquero has paid for my higher priced machines in finds. Flat out, if you want to find the stuff othes pass over (because of TID), you can't go wrong with Tesoro!

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rabid is a good term. I never rely on VDI or tone information as its rarely right. True battery state though is a real plus and many VDI machines will keep you informed of whats happening in that respect in real time with the batteries under load.
Should also say if VDI is so bad why did Tesoro introduce it to their range with the rather heavy Toltec 80 and 100 models ? Its still there in the Hawkeye and Cortes models.

Weight was the great selling point after the uMax models were introduced, cheap machines with excellent warranty if you are in the U.S. Fairly fast recovery speed with most models but now lagging behind in that respect. Lack of useful features like tracking (though the Lobo Supertrac/Wolftrax can in the all metal mode only, but they lack track inhibit), no twin, triple or multifrequency models which would be useful for your wet beaches.

Think and try before you buy. For travelling and to keep in the trunk of your car they are hard to beat but the company has been sitting on its hands to long and is going to have to pull something out of the bag soon, not just the odd filter tweak.

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the fact that a lot of the tesoro machines run off of 1 9v battery

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rabid is a good term. I never rely on VDI or tone information as its rarely right. True battery state though is a real plus and many VDI machines will keep you informed of whats happening in that respect in real time with the batteries under load.
Should also say if VDI is so bad why did Tesoro introduce it to their range with the rather heavy Toltec 80 and 100 models ? Its still there in the Hawkeye and Cortes models.

Weight was the great selling point after the uMax models were introduced, cheap machines with excellent warranty if you are in the U.S. Fairly fast recovery speed with most models but now lagging behind in that respect. Lack of useful features like tracking (though the Lobo Supertrac/Wolftrax can in the all metal mode only, but they lack track inhibit), no twin, triple or multifrequency models which would be useful for your wet beaches.

Think and try before you buy. For travelling and to keep in the trunk of your car they are hard to beat but the company has been sitting on its hands to long and is going to have to pull something out of the bag soon, not just the odd filter tweak.

Gosh Brian, seems to me you are STILL searching for the "right" machine (XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 and several others). You could have saved a lot of money, and found more treasure, by just getting a couple of Tesoro machines. Laughing VERY hard in the good ol' USA! :laughing7:

l

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to offer the complete and undisputed answer to your question but when I read some of the replies already posted I saw that it has been answered at least 10 times already.

Whenever a question arises about Tesoro detectors one should expect a wave of replies. Some of us are very loyal to that brand and for good reason, they are as good or better than anything else out there when it comes to general coin/relic hunting (not gold nugget hunting).

Let me define "better."

By "better" or "as good" I mean what matters in a real life hunting situation. There are detectors that can go deeper on coins in a controlled situation (like a test site). This is acheived by maximizing a machines super sensitivity to the point of making the machine unstable and moving the search coil precisely over a known target. I tested one such brand extensively and it would detect a nickle at 8-9 inches with no problem whereas my Tejon would only detect a fresh buried nickle about 7 inches deep. However, in a real life hunting situation the Tejon completely defeated the super sensitive machine when it came to finds. The reason for this was in the real world I had to turn the sensitivity way down on the super deep machine in order to prevent falsing (false signals due to too much amplification of signal). The way companies increase depth with detectors is to hype-up the receiver. But if this is done too much the machine becomes unstable (false signals from minerals, etc.).

Tesoro has always built machines that tend to stay within the stable range. This fact not only saves the THer time but it also helps save a lot of grass due to fewer holes being dug for nothing. The Tejon can be adjusted beyond stability but only slightly. But this feature comes in handy when using certain hunting techniques.

Meters are fun and I think some people hunt mostly to enjoy playing with their meters. They like to look at numbers, etc., and compare the readings with the finds. That's cool and I say do whatever blows your hair back. I went through that phase myself and got over it when I dug gold that the meter said was trash iron. Have fun with meters but just remember you can't trust them. Back in the old days Fisher at first wouldn't put them on their machines because they said they were a gimmick. But customer demands caused them to give in.

Another added plus (super BIG plus) of 100% quality company backing (as in repaired free). Have you ever checked on what it cost to fix a detector not covered by a company? Be ready for a shock! And I've found that even after paying those big bucks often the machine is never right. Years ago I bought a Minelab Explorer from a member here that he had just had repaired. It was junk. I sold (gave it away) and bought a new Explorer which was great.

You now have more than enough info to make your decision. So go buy the brand you had intended on buying even before you asked this question (just kidding).

Badger

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The SOUND is EVERYTHING. If you need to spend alot of money on accessories, make it the best earphones you can buy. Everything else, including display, is simply part of the bells and whistles. Remember, a metal detector is incapable of lying.... you just have to figure out what it is telling you. And that ONLY comes with TIME, which does not come with the machine. It is in your BRAIN HOUSING GROUP! TTC

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Regarding the "FREE" life time warranty of TESORO, it is not free! It is built into the cost of the machine. It’s like the alarm system with free installation. They build the installation cost into your monthly monitoring charge. Companies don’t do things for free. It’s bad for business. I haven't opened up my Golden U Max, but between the battery in the unit, headphone connector and switches protruding into that small housing, the circuit board has to be the size of a book of matches. Hence, minimal repair cost. No costly displays or electronics to replace. (This is what I believe.)

Don't get me wrong. I liked the Golden U max. Used mine for two years, had a lot of fun with it. I believe they get the job done and are a good value. Would consider getting a sand shark. This year I bought a used Whites DFX. Mainly because of the dual frequency which would allow me to hunt the wet sand and shallow surf on the beach. I haven’t looked back since. I like the SignaGraph display. After a while you just listen to the sounds and glance at the screen when you hear something good. I can’t talk about other machines because these are the only two I have ever used. I suggest that you stick to the top name brands and buy a used machine if you want to save money. Detectors in like new condition are easy to find on eBay and the classified ads on this site.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Tesoro Lobo since 2000, and never had a problem with it.
I don't baby it, I bang it around, Left it in hot vehicles, rain and never had a problem.
All metal mode for relics or gold, and variable discrimination for coins, life time warranty...what more could you want?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, your not to bright are you. If you ever paid any attention you will see that I have some detectors so that people can try them without wasting their money buying them....like the Whites D.F. Not a bad machine but anything like the reviews on the forums....no. Also had the older Sandshark, Goldquest SS, still have a Beachscan, Deepstar, TDI etc so that people can try them and not fall foul of the forum nuts who will saying anything. Also the Beach Hunter I.D., Minelab Sovereign and other BBS/FBS detectors so people can see whats hype and whats not.

Now Jovan lives in Florida so there's more than a good chance that he will want to beach detect in the main with a little land detecting as well. This means either two detectors if he takes the pulse route or one twin/triple or multifrequency detector.

Some replies suggest that Tesoro don't make VDI/target I.D. detectors which as I pointed out they do. I wonder why they sell these gimmicks. There's still the old warranty chesnut. In the States yes, but outside you can go deeper much cheap and get a better warranty.

Best discrimination, very debatable. Fastest recovery speed....only if you have never used other brands in the last five years. Only company to have offered lifetime warranties ? Other brands offered this in the past including Eric Foster's Location Technology on his pulse machines. Sorry Terry those who can cut it don't have to work in Wall Mart or park cars and pump gas. They detect full time and can make a very good living from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread