Tesoro metal detectors?

huntermetal

Sep 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret 2500 - T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i ave a tejon end is a veri good for coin research, i find more coin end relic. the display not is important if you ave a good hearing! (sorry for my bad english)

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Here's the hard facts, you will miss good finds with a Target ID machine. While I use one, I know I've walked over some good targets that I would have dug with my Tesoro. They have a lifetime warranty and are extremely stable..ie, they don't chatter in high EMI and you can generally tell target size and guestimate depth after using them for a while. They are robust and shouldn't need warranty repairs. Quite frankly the lifetime warranty is like free health care...people get unnecessary check-ups. I feel sorry for Tesoro in that regard but they have a good thing going and good customer service. There is a rabid following which says a lot (in more ways than one). A lot of people consider them toys but the engineering and components they put in their units are second to none. ie, Minelab and Whites use cheap microphone connectors from the 60's for their coil connectors, Tesoro uses a high quality connector. I'm not knocking the other detector companies, I have the ones I mentioned in the post and they are great. However my Vaquero has paid for my higher priced machines in finds. Flat out, if you want to find the stuff othes pass over (because of TID), you can't go wrong with Tesoro!

does tesoro have "modulated" audio? as you go deeper?
thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deeper the target the softer/quieter the signal.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i ave a tejon end is a veri good for coin research, i find more coin end relic. the display not is important if you ave a good hearing! (sorry for my bad english)

huntermetal,

Do not worry about the english, you are easy to understand! Welcome to Tnet!! Keep on swinging and posting......................63bkpkr

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Muddyhandz, This is the ump-tenth thread on this subject that I have now followed but your reply is the first that has truly summed it up. The detector is a tool and that when used by experienced hands/ ears, you will obtain the greatest reward for the amount of effort you have put into it with the least amount errors made. ie: you have learned the language of the tool, figured out the good from bad sound, and have dug the fewest number of false signal finds. The man, woman, person behind the MD'er ( don't want to be sexist here- that's a whole nother subject) is the most important. Without the one there is not the other. HH "to all and to all a goodnight" (Santa Clause)

yelnif

Yeah, this thread is a mess.

I will say that Tesoro has some fine detectors but most importantly, IT'S THE PERSON USING IT.

It gets pretty tiring reading all the hype, arguments, and put downs when I know without a doubt that it's who's behind that detector.

After years of hearing "You better get a top of the line detector if you want to hunt in England," I'm gonna save up and one day go down there with just a big azz screwdriver, a ratty pouch, and an old 1266X (or maybe a silver u-max) and show y'all how many goodies I'll find with a low end detector.

I've out hunted every type of detector not because my machine is the best but because I'M HARDCORE!

These brand wars make me laugh my arse off!:laughing7:

I don't care how fancy your VDI's are, my rule......THE MORE YOU DIG THE MORE YOU GET will always trump the latest and greatest.

If you think that your miracle machine will accurately tell what's going on in the ground every time then keep on dreaming.

I'm a machine. The detector is only an extension. I find more than most just from eye-balling or sifting!

No, too much emphasis on the detectors and not enough on the individual.

If you only have a few hundred dollars, then buy a Tesoro. They are good beep and dig machines with a lifetime warranty.

Most importantly, develop a good work ethic, enhance your skills and pay attention to the millions of variables that occur in the ground.

Take it from someone who has excelled in hunted out sites. Not because I was using new technology but because I was using a NEW MINDSET!:headbang:

Cheers,
Dave.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, what does everybody think about Tesoro detectors?
I'm glad I'm not the OP, cause being on TN for awhile I know folks here are not the nut cases that they appear.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
So, what does everybody think about Tesoro detectors?
I'm glad I'm not the OP, cause being on TN for awhile I know folks here are not the nut cases that they appear.
....... I will say that Tesoro makes a great detector that keeps up with any other .. With a price that does not hurt your wallet....... You can not go wrong with a Tesoro detector..........

x#1

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
cherokee county,al.
Detector(s) used
jetco huntmaster gtx ,garrett treasure ace 100, and a tesoro cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my mind set,hung up on even,another yet much newer garrett.the ace 250 to be exact. i then decided upon the 350.people wanted an arm and a leg for them used and per those same people,firmly entrenched w/that price.so.i researched the tesoro as i was not seeing very many used,at least not as many as a garrett.WOW sums up the reviews and i read them until my eyes bled.hours of them anywhere i could find a tesoro review.I then called the tesoro factory and was greeted pleasantly and well each and every time that i called.I called freakwently(get it?). The lady advised me that i am exactly the type they want to purchase their detectors,as in full of questions and becoming informed.Think about that for a moment.

anyway,found a new,never put together Cibola w/new headphones for well under $300. that is new enough for me.
i was perplexed by the small size as compared to my garrett treasure ace 100(which does a fine job for what it is) and felt like i had been duped.

HA! that thought soon was soon forgotten.I am certainly still learning/acclimating myself to my Cibola as i have had it just under a week but shazam,i am a believer and i haven't left my yard. i live on weiss lake and it was mostly farm land before it was flooded so in the winter at lower levels i find arrowheads,etc. but now i am finding coins,bullets,casings(some i've prob shot over the years,some not)and the like.hardly any real junk.i'm going to check around neighbors docks where we all went skinny dipping at an early age and one gal threw all our clothes in the water! yeah we had been drinking but the gal that did that made sure she got everybody home.that's another story and was in '83/'84.surely keys and the like will be submerged in the dirt when the water is lowered.I KNOW it has never been detected,at least not since the early '80s when my dad bought the place.The man whose father owned this particular section actually owns 5 acres next door so i plan on asking him about some old home places.He will know.

how did i get so far off topic? sorry bout that.suffice it to say that a Tesoro is well worth the money and they stand behind their product with customer service judging by the way they spoke w/me before i became a Tesoro owner-

Last edited:

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice for you is to look at VDI and target ID systems as a best guess and just a tool to help you id the find and use it as such, it is a great feature to have -- after all even the high-end Tersoro's include a display of such information now. I have to say if it is such a bad thing why do the best/most expensive Tersoro's include a display with such information too?

One really nice feature that is found in MD's that have VDI information and such is pinpointing. It is a great feature that made my recent MD upgrade worth it alone (not to mention the depth). I find a target then switch to pinpointing to better locate the target - it allows me to dig smaller plugs, find items easier, and speeds up recovery time of the item. This is also another feature that isn't available on most Tersoro detectors it appears either.

Ultimately you just need to go to a metal detector store and try some different models to see what features you want/need. Especially if they have a outside coin test area - as one of my local stores does. Better yet go detecting with someone that has a detector you can use/try for awhile and see for yourself that way as well.

Indeed VDI numbers or even target ID (what coin it is) is a best guess, or so called probability. I started out with a BH Tracker IV and upgraded to a BH Discovery 3300 for more coin depth. If you are looking for a low cost detector with VDI/target ID/pinpointing/etc, advertised depth of 10" on coins, or a Bounty Hunter brand detectorist - it is a great detector.

The Tracker IV is marketed as 6" depth, and I've had about 5" on a coin myself. If you are looking at the Tesoro detectors just be sure to get one that gets more depth otherwise you are fine with your Tracker IV - as several Tesoro models are in the 6" coin depth range as well. No need to upgrade MD's if you will get the same depth.

I will say my BH Discovery 3300's VDI and depth is usually right on with any coins in the 4" or less depth (nearly all clad coins you will find), and often better ID's the finds than my dad's Garrett Ace 250 (or often they will say the same thing - sometimes even if it is wrong). If the coin is deeper than 4" than the VDI and target ID can register wrong, or more likely jump around a bit (especially on ID'ing older coins); however, the coin depth is usually correct even then.

I set my detector to the default discrimination mode (3 types of iron disc out only) and turn the sensitivity up to a notch below the max and I have found coins at nearly 7" and other coin sized items even deeper. I imagine if there were deeper coins where I have been it would have found them. So even if the VDI or depth is off, I still dig the target as it is a good signal so it is not hurting my finds any.

GL and HH

I have been using target ID's since the early 80's. Compass XP Pro, Whites 6000 DI pro, Etrac, AT PRO, CTX 3030. They are all SPOT ON up to 5 inches, 98% accurate, the CTX, and AT Pro will show the correct ID up to 7 or 8 inches on 3 out of 6 sweeps that will make you dig it. They are never wrong on a solid target (not breaking up on trash, multiple targets) I have hundreds of hours over the past 35 years on these detectors.

You may as well not bother getting up off the ground if you dont use some discrimination and ID.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could have done a sweep over that ring with a 1975 Radio Shack detector and picked it up.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is true but than again also PI machines tell you that there is metal down there and even deeper than the vlf ones. So since the theory is dig every single beep than why not get a PI machine??? Oh they don't have a discrimination ... That is right, and discrimination is??? A wild guess of what is down there... Same as a VID machine.
Let's cut the BS any good VID machine can do whatever a Tesoro can do by just not watching the screen, PLUS it has a monitor in case you want to watch it.
Even Tesoro has VID on the top of line... So ??? They aren't tesoros??? They are bad machines? Just because a machine has or hasn't a screen doesn't mean the detector is good or bad, and we all know that if we dig it all than we might find more good stuff, but if you detect for six hours and have to dig 200 holes or in the same six hours you just dig 100 trusting that your $2000 detector costed you that much not just because it can do beep beep as the $300 one but because it has some serious engineering behind it that can save you the trouble and fatigue of digging up every single signal, than we see that VID detectors might have a sense in existing.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

This is my view as well. Been metal detecting for 35 years but I would like to try one out to see how it does in places I have hunted hard just for kicks. I have an XP Pro and and a CTX 3030.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using target ID's since the early 80's. Compass XP Pro, Whites 6000 DI pro, Etrac, AT PRO, CTX 3030. They are all SPOT ON up to 5 inches, 98% accurate, the CTX, and AT Pro will show the correct ID up to 7 or 8 inches on 3 out of 6 sweeps that will make you dig it. They are never wrong on a solid target (not breaking up on trash, multiple targets) I have hundreds of hours over the past 35 years on these detectors.

You may as well not bother getting up off the ground if you dont use some discrimination and ID.
never wrong on a solid target! 3 out of 6 sounds like 50/50 ... So this sounds like you have never dug a pulltab? I dig lots of iffy targets and I am not surprised to see a pull tab... A surprise would be a gold ring! I am sure I often have the pulltab dug and in my bag while you are still swinging over your iffy target... 3 good swings out of 6 is always dug, how do u know if 2 out of six should not?
When I Golf I carry a full bag and get some exercise , I imagine you in a golf cart!
Time left:23h leftMonday, 9PM

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get a cart, it's the only way I can carry that much beer on the course. :)

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got finish detecting with vaquero I was digging up nails I took it put the nail in front of detector and got no response so I keep digging after three nails I uncover a pull tab. I love the response of the machine. Does all Tesoro detectors recover that fast?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my 2 cents. I think the VDI meter is just more information for the hunter to use. A good audio without a solid VDI lock on a shallow or strong target is can slaw the VAST majority of the time. I often dig the signal but after repeated hits on the same target in a turned field you get a better idea of what it is and can make a better decision as to whether you want to dig another probable peace of trash or continue to hunt for the target that has a high probability of being something good. Another benefit is most of us will use a bit more caution on a signal that sounds deep and small but ID's in the silver range as to make sure not to scratch it. Now before anyone starts ...... most all of us have nailed a good find, it happens. The cons to VDI is you become too dependent on it. I have NO doubt that I have passed targets with a good audio and jumpy VDI that were actually good targets. Had I relied on the audio only I wouldn't have missed as much. This again brings up another argument in favor of VDI. The time spent digging a bit more trash but missing less good stuff is not always time well spent. Think about it. Less time digging trash gives more time looking for that great audio and VDI hit that has much more potential to be a good target. Lots of it has to with the amount of time we have to hunt. A really old site that has little trash would see little benefit of using VDI. You should dig it all. In a huge park the VDI gives a huge advantage by being more selective. To me I prefer the visual, but by only a slight margin. Thinking seriously about a Vaquero as a second machine. Would be great in the old sites as a primary, and easier for the beginner who I may take with me. Enough rambling. Time to go hunting. ha ha

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I hunt with VDI guys and gals, I find that I dig twice the targets that they do in the same amount of time. Yes, I dig more aluminum, but I also score a lot more gold. I have seen guys swing over a target for a minute-and-a-half watching their VDI screen. By the time they walk away, I could have dug the plug, recovered the target, moved on and started cutting my next plug. I have been hunting with Tesoro for well over 20-years now, and I have never missed a good target.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about other Tesoro machines, but the Cortez is a great machine. Simple, fast and accurate.
I've waited since late winter for the new "Cazador" to be released to no avail? Sooo, I bought a Minelab Etrac. Glad I did.
The Etrac gets much better depth airtesting, and in the field it's even better. At first the "flute" sounds on Etrac were overwhelming compared to the crisp Tesoro.
The Gifford's provide exceptional service, warranty and machines. But, until I finally hold a new detector from Tesoro, I'm swingin' my Etrac! Sorry Terry...
Peace

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about other Tesoro machines, but the Cortez is a great machine. Simple, fast and accurate.
I've waited since late winter for the new "Cazador" to be released to no avail? Sooo, I bought a Minelab Etrac. Glad I did.
The Etrac gets much better depth airtesting, and in the field it's even better. At first the "flute" sounds on Etrac were overwhelming compared to the crisp Tesoro.
The Gifford's provide exceptional service, warranty and machines. But, until I finally hold a new detector from Tesoro, I'm swingin' my Etrac! Sorry Terry...
Peace

Totally cool. I tried the E-Trac for six-months. Didn't find anything I wasn't finding with my Vaquero, so I sold it. E-Trac was too heavy anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread