Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! This has been quite a hotly debated thread. I have never owned a Tesoro. But I really don't think it matters. We are people and we all have our likes and dislikes. You hear the same talk whether someone asks who makes the best car, who is the best football team, or who is the best musician. Some more passionate than others. In the end it is personal preference, what each of us like. Some are no frills kind of people, others need all the info they can get there hands on. Thank God there are companies that cater to them and others who fall in between. Companies that make great machines for people on a budget and for those that money is no object. In the end if we get out, find some cool stuff and get to share our finds, then we can all agree this is a great hobby.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! This has been quite a hotly debated thread. I have never owned a Tesoro. But I really don't think it matters. We are people and we all have our likes and dislikes. You hear the same talk whether someone asks who makes the best car, who is the best football team, or who is the best musician. Some more passionate than others. In the end it is personal preference, what each of us like. Some are no frills kind of people, others need all the info they can get there hands on. Thank God there are companies that cater to them and others who fall in between. Companies that make great machines for people on a budget and for those that money is no object. In the end if we get out, find some cool stuff and get to share our finds, then we can all agree this is a great hobby.

Bah, humbug! :thumbsup: Tesoro detectors stand up to ANY other brand in finds and performance - period. :notworthy:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
In a perfect world, a new detectorist would start with a machine like a Tesoro so that they can learn to detect with their ears.

This is an important skill that will serve you well regardless of what machine you are swinging.

This from a detectorist whose first machine was an XLT in 1991.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a perfect world, a new detectorist would start with a machine like a Tesoro so that they can learn to detect with their ears.

This is an important skill that will serve you well regardless of what machine you are swinging.

This from a detectorist whose first machine was an XLT in 1991.

I started with a bounty hunter with 3 tones and was dissapointed paying 450 bucks for a detector with one tone. I guess there is a goose for every gander. What surprised me the most is when i brought up the fact it only had one tone some people did not know this but then again neither did i or i would have never bought it in the first place.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...What surprised me the most is when i brought up the fact it only had one tone some people did not know this but then again neither did i or i would have never bought it in the first place.

Then shame on you for not doing the research before making your purchase. When you LEARN how to use the Vaquero, you can tell the difference of targets by the quality of the tone. Most folks never bother to actually learn thier machines completely - no matter what the brand.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then shame on you for not doing the research before making your purchase. When you LEARN how to use the Vaquero, you can tell the difference of targets by the quality of the tone. Most folks never bother to actually learn thier machines completely - no matter what the brand.

I gave it a year and a half it just wasnt for me and you are right i should have researched more just trying to save the next guy to fall for the hype. To be perfectly honest the only time i would even consider using it again would be a plowed feild whee i would be digging everything because the disc is so poor even the bountyhunter disced way better. This is my opinion some like them some do not.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When digging trashy areas...like parks, schools, and picnic areas a screen really helps. Love being able to pretty much tell if i got a quarter, dime, copper, or zinc hit. The numbers do lie. But most of the time on coins they are mostly right on. A beep and dig machine sounds off about the same way to a 5" quarter as a 2" dime

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the old timers. "Yea, I been detectin' goin on 40 years! When I started we just grabbed a pig by the ankles and swung him. We could tell by his squeals, what was trash and what was treasure. Darn spoiled kids today with their bells and whistles." Lol

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the old timers. "Yea, I been detectin' goin on 40 years! When I started we just grabbed a pig by the ankles and swung him. We could tell by his squeals, what was trash and what was treasure. Darn spoiled kids today with their bells and whistles." Lol

LoL!!! Love it man , thanks for the laugh!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You can make fun of us old timers all you want …But remember some day you will be one..

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I am. But newbie to detecting. When I was a kid I walked to school in 40 below uphill both ways. Lol. Just amused by how passionate people get about their detectors, like this is some sort of a contest or who is the best detectorist. I guess someone has to be the prom queen. Funny.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I am. But newbie to detecting. When I was a kid I walked to school in 40 below uphill both ways. Lol. Just amused by how passionate people get about their detectors, like this is some sort of a contest or who is the best detectorist. I guess someone has to be the prom queen. Funny.
Yes they do get passionate about there detectors… Way to passionate...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much different than cars.....

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get past the ego the old timers have alot to offer. But in the end I am the one who swings the detector I chose and am responsible for learning it and it is my effort that puts treasure in my pocket. I am the expert in where I hunt, but the advice I received from the old timers is ringing in my ears, and if I am smart I listen.

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
So, if tesoro is the best metal detector how come everybody doesn't have one? Yes, it's because everybody thinks different And makes different choices. Everybody out there don't belong to a club or compeat. Every band out there has good and bad detectors. There is no one band detector that everybody should have. Some people like having vdi and others don't. Some people like just sound. Sound a lot of times isn't aways the answer, and vdi isn't the answer as well. Metal detecting most of the time is made by choice of the person using the machine. Its about having fun and enjoying the hobbie. You just have to pleases yourself and what looks good to you.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not much different than cars.....

Exactly. The best thing you can do is take them for a test drive and compare them side by side. If you rely on an internet message board you will get hundreds of opinions, and they're all wrong.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's why I use a Tesoro PI and a Minelab BBS. The best of both worlds..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread