Tesoro Mods??

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Might try Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know if there is anyone in the US that will still perform mods on Tesoro machines? I’m thinking high-tone, pinpoint, gb, etc.?

The “high-tone” Cibola and Vaquero used a different IC chip which Tesoro had labeled high-tone. I don’t know if anyone besides Tesoro repair people will know how to program that chip for the higher tone. Your Vaquero already has GB but if you want to mod a Cibola and add GB, it’s relatively simple and the info is out there. In my opinion though, you might as well just get a Vaquero if you need the GB adjustable. I didn’t find adjustable GB on the Cibola to be worth the effort.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors.

I saw where Keith says he does not do the high tone mod. Only place I know is overseas at Penteknics and you would just have to mail control box and coil.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I had a high tone Vaq...ordered it that way because I read for older folks some might hear tones better.
Liked it at first but I knew nothing else, then I got a Compadre and realized I am much more of a low tone guy.
It had one advantage, over most kinds of foil the buzzy tone set my nerves on edge and made me grit my teeth every time but I still considered sending it in to get it changed to the lower tone.
Of course everyone is different so my experience is unique to me, I am sure many out there love the high tone better.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a high tone Vaq...ordered it that way because I read for older folks some might hear tones better.
Liked it at first but I knew nothing else, then I got a Compadre and realized I am much more of a low tone guy.
It had one advantage, over most kinds of foil the buzzy tone set my nerves on edge and made me grit my teeth every time but I still considered sending it in to get it changed to the lower tone.
Of course everyone is different so my experience is unique to me, I am sure many out there love the high tone better.

Funny how aluminum just sounds nasty. Seems it doesn’t matter which Tesoro you use - it still blares at you, so you can usually tell it’s aluminum.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Funny how aluminum just sounds nasty. Seems it doesn’t matter which Tesoro you use - it still blares at you, so you can usually tell it’s aluminum.

A fact of life and very helpful info to us Tesoro guys with more than just a couple of hours under our belt...so many different inflections and nuances in that tone, high frequency or low.
Still, try as we might to explain this stuff so many out there think these are just single tone, one trick pony beep and dig tools and nothing more and probably always will.
"Sigh".

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It only takes a newbie a few days to learn how aluminum sounds more scratchy and loud. They just need to pay attention and use some decent headphones.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

this is 'dead nuts" accurate! very harsh,not smooth, and generally loud!
tesoro's are truly a "joy" to use!

(h.h!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
A fact of life and very helpful info to us Tesoro guys with more than just a couple of hours under our belt...so many different inflections and nuances in that tone, high frequency or low.
Still, try as we might to explain this stuff so many out there think these are just single tone, one trick pony beep and dig tools and nothing more and probably always will.
"Sigh".

excellent point, and "right" as rain! very telling modulated audio, that once learned,
offers so much pure "fun" for the money! best value in the game. jack gifford "knew"
this as he designed the analog circuitry, and it's really the main reason why, he hesitated to
go digital, even when the technology started taking off, because he always was aware of how much
"information" was contained in that analog single tone.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m probably the same sound wise. I had a XP Deus twice and currently have a Makro Anfibio. I have a hard time with the tones and my head hurts after a few hours of using them. I recently watched a video by Calabash Digger and he calls the Deus tones as being “sparky” and he doesn’t like it as well as the sounds of the Equinox. Watching this video, it dawned on me as to why I have a difficult time with the Deus and how I hardly find anything with it. The sounds are too quick and high for my ears to register. Probably doesn’t help that I need hearing aids.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
With the analog Tesoro, you, the user interprets what you are hearing... a good thing. With the digital detectors what you hear are a signal that has been interpreted by and filtered by a digital processor... same with the numbers you see.
Experience is the difference maker.

g

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions