Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Thursday my Tesoro Mojave was delivered.
Thursday night I brought it to my front yard without headphones to give it a quick try.I have own 2 Bandido II umaxes and 2 Garrett Detectors (Treasure Ace & Infinium)and 2 Minelab detectors (Xt 17000 and Xterra 70). Not an expert but I know the basics.
The battery test was long and loud and the detecter had an interference chirping noise. Figured it was a loose connector. No.
Switched the detector to high. No.
I wrapped the coil cable loose so I figured it just needed the velcro strip added.
The next day I drove the detector to a guy with an extra coil. He owned several Tesoros plus a few Troy detectors. He fired my detector and the beeping and chirping was continous. He asked me what was wrong with the detector. I said it brand new. He said the coil cable was loose and he has an invisible dog fence.
He tried his coil and it worked with chirping. At night I wrapped the coil cable tighter making sure no strain was present at the box or coil. I added velcro and fired it up.
Quiet as can be. Just on for 2 minutes.
I brought it to camp and the chirping was non stop.
Is there anything that I can do?
Do I handle this through Amazon or Tesoro if not?
Tesoro didn't respond to an email I sent early Friday about the 8x9 coil.
I regretted selling the Tesoro's I had in the past. I just want a usable Mojave.
Brian

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While it may be a bad coil, let's talk about where you live (neighborhood in suburbs; rural area; in the city), and what Sensitivity setting you are using. Did you have it cranked up? What happened when you changed your discrimination settings? :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry

While it may be a bad coil, let's talk about where you live (neighborhood in suburbs; rural area; in the city), and what Sensitivity setting you are using. Did you have it cranked up? What happened when you changed your discrimination settings? :occasion14:
I live in the suburbs of Syracuse N.Y. In a 1929 house.
Originally the first time testing the sensitivity was all the way up Ground Condition switch set to low, disc. Set at foil. It was shipped set on Hi. I was 10 feet away from my front door with a power line to my house above me.
I first switched ground switch to high and thumbed down to 1 and it was noisy with a loosly wrapped coil cable.I was tired so after a short time I called it quites.
During the next day at work I just thought that I needed to wrap the detector with stress relief assured at coil and detector control box with velcro strip. I was curious about a new coil to go deeper so I travelled to a rural property (Canandaigua, N.Y)after work to inquire about a used 9x8 coil. The man had asked me to bring the detector. When he fired it up with the stock coil it was getting allot of interference and he waived the coil at a square hip mesh bag with a metal bracket and the detector just chattered and didn't sound off. The detector kept chattering no matter where he swung it and the man seemed concerned.Between the still not yet correctly wrapped coil cable and the man's invisible fence I wrote it off as not a problem. I went home and wrapped the coil cable correctly and secured it with velcro I retested at home with a cheap headset given to me by the man from Canadaigua,seeing that my good headset is loaned out with my xterra 70.
The detector seemed quiet as my old Bandito II was.
Saturday morning I was at my friends trailer park camp in Inlet N.Y. ADK to find a few lost horse shoes and the detector was chattering constantly (no matter if it was speaker or headset)no matter what sensitivity setting and hi or low soil condition setting.
After posting my first post I was in the middle of writing a new email to Tesoro. I was going to add an audio recording of the chattering so I fired the Mojave up over my lawn and it is quiet and stable!? I have loved the idea of having a Tesoro again so if this is normal for the Mojave then I will just use this in areas it won't chatter constantly in.
Brian

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry

I live in the suburbs of Syracuse N.Y.
Originally the first time testing the sensitivity was all the way up Ground Condition switch set to low, disc. Set at foil. It was shipped set on Hi. I was 10 feet away from my front door with a power line to my house above me.
I first switched ground switch to high and thumbed down to 1 and it was noisy with a loosly wrapped coil cable.I was tired so after a short time I called it quites.
During the next day at work I just thought that I needed to wrap the detector with stress relief assured at coil and detector control box with velcro strip. I was curious about a new coil to go deeper so I travelled to a rural property (Canandaigua, N.Y)after work to inquire about a used 9x8 coil. The man had asked me to bring the detector. When he fired it up it was getting allot of interference and he waived the coil at a square hip mesh bag with a metal bracket and the detector just chattered and didn't sound off. Between the still not yet correctly wrapped coil cable and the man's invisible fence I wrote it off as not a problem. I went home and wrapped the coil cable correctly and secured it with velcro I retested at home with a cheap headset given to me by the man from Canadaigua,seeing that my good headset is loaned out with my xterra 70.
The detector seemed quiet as my old Bandito II was.
Satuday morning I was at my friends trailer park camp in Inlet N.Y. ADK to find a few lost horse shoes and the detector was chattering constantly no matter what sensitivity setting and hi or low soil condition setting.
After posting my first post I was in the middle of writing a new email to Tesoro. I was going to add an audio recording of the chattering so I fired the Mojave up over my lawn and it is quiet and stable!? I have loved the idea of having a Tesoro again so if this is normal for the Mojave then I will just use this in areas it won't chatter constantly in.
Brian

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like classic EMI to me, power lines underground electric dog fences, trailer parks with CCTV. Set your Sensitivity no higher than 5. Set your mineralization on LOW, then pump the coil from 10" above the ground to almost touching it rapidly four or five times. If you hear anything except silence, flip it to High. Swing SLOW and LOW. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the help

Sounds like classic EMI to me, power lines underground electric dog fences, trailer parks with CCTV. Set your Sensitivity no higher than 5. Set your mineralization on LOW, then pump the coil from 10" above the ground to almost touching it rapidly four or five times. If you hear anything except silence, flip it to High. Swing SLOW and LOW. :icon_thumright:

Thank you for the help!
I want to love this machine.
My past experiences have been mostly for gold.
My oldest coin found has only been a worn wheat penny.
I will be the happiest person on here if this Mojave holds up and I can get out enough to find something old.
Brian
P.s.
Sorry to post in the wrong spot. I signed on with my cellphone and I didn't notice that I did until now.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I never had one iota if chatter with my Compadre except at one site, my new Mojave has done it a few times next to homes with WiFi and under power lines.
Sense was usually pegged so I turned it down and it got quiet.
This seems to be set pretty high right out if the factory, I talked to Alan Cannon at Tesoro and he said there were heated discussions about where to set the gain on this thing and they settled on a range that they thought would be quiet under most normal circumstances.
There is even more to go but it seems pretty darn powerful and deep to me as it is.
I suspect this might be like my F70...not all that necessary for me to punch it up high to find things at some pretty deep levels.

Still messing around with it but I have already found out or been told a few helpful things...
Disc works better if you don't go much higher than that word Preset on the faceplate.
Beaver tail tabs won't disc out with the sense maxed but at that point they should.

The double beep thing the Compadre will do on targets next to big metal even with the sense turned up to max internally will work best and maybe even better and smoother with the sense set at 2-3 on the Mojave.

Keep playing around with and lower that gain a bit, like me it might be just a matter of getting a handle on this thing, the way it behaves and the pretty decent power it seems to possess.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wifi

I never had one iota if chatter with my Compadre except at one site, my new Mojave has done it a few times next to homes with WiFi and under power lines.
Sense was usually pegged so I turned it down and it got quiet.
This seems to be set pretty high right out if the factory, I talked to Alan Cannon at Tesoro and he said there were heated discussions about where to set the gain on this thing and they settled on a range that they thought would be quiet under most normal circumstances.
There is even more to go but it seems pretty darn powerful and deep to me as it is.
I suspect this might be like my F70...not all that necessary for me to punch it up high to find things at some pretty deep levels.

Still messing around with it but I have already found out or been told a few helpful things...
Disc works better if you don't go much higher than that word Preset on the faceplate.
Beaver tail tabs won't disc out with the sense maxed but at that point they should.

The double beep thing the Compadre will do on targets next to big metal even with the sense turned up to max internally will work best and maybe even better and smoother with the sense set at 2-3 on the Mojave.

Keep playing around with and lower that gain a bit, like me it might be just a matter of getting a handle on this thing, the way it behaves and the pretty decent power it seems to possess.
I never thought about it because I have Wifi at my house, but the lady next to my friends camp said her husband had a wifi booster. Not sure if that was the problem or not.
Last night between rain storms I had about 7 minutes running the Mojave near my front steps. Quiet as can be. I found a few can slaws and a partial modern belt buckle.
I am very happy now. Something about Tesoro appeals to me.
This will be the first time I am concentrating on coin and relic hunting instead of gold nuggets.
Brian

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mojave seems sensitive to EMI..

Mine was having a hard time with EMI when some dark rain clouds moved in overhead. I had to turn sensitivity down to about "3", to make it usable...then it started to rain a few minutes later. Works great away from EMI sources though, where I can usually run it into the "red zone".

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP Looks like you found the Tesoro forum. If you have more EMI questions or questions specific to the Mojave settings for different situations you will probably get more views of your post there than here in the head-to-head because Tesoro folks may not necessarily be coming over here regularly unless they want to read about specific head-to-head comparisons. Congrats on getting it to quiet down. The XP Deus (my primary machine) can be susceptible to EMI and there are a lot of potential causes that can usually be solved once the source is identified (i.e., internal or external to the detector) and the proper settings are judiciously applied to solve the problem without significantly impacting performance. Sometimes requires threading the needle to get the right balance between performance and noise reduction. That's why your post peaked my interest. Figured I could help with some universal advice, like what you already got regarding likely external sources of EMI (WiFi, Power Lines, Florescent Light Fixtures, etc.). Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP Looks like you found the Tesoro forum. If you have more EMI questions or questions specific to the Mojave settings for different situations you will probably get more views of your post there than here in the head-to-head because Tesoro folks may not necessarily be coming over here regularly unless they want to read about specific head-to-head comparisons. Congrats on getting it to quiet down. The XP Deus (my primary machine) can be susceptible to EMI and there are a lot of potential causes that can usually be solved once the source is identified (i.e., internal or external to the detector) and the proper settings are judiciously applied to solve the problem without significantly impacting performance. Sometimes requires threading the needle to get the right balance between performance and noise reduction. That's why your post peaked my interest. Figured I could help with some universal advice, like what you already got regarding likely external sources of EMI (WiFi, Power Lines, Florescent Light Fixtures, etc.). Happy Hunting.
I appreciate the help. I view on a cellphone and failed to notice on my small screen that I had posted in the wrong area. When I realized that I did, I didn't know how to delete or move the post.My fault.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the help. I view on a cellphone and failed to notice on my small screen that I had posted in the wrong area. When I realized that I did, I didn't know how to delete or move the post.My fault.

When that happens you can "report your post" to the mods (click on the little caution symbol on the lower left) and they can possibly move it for you. HTH.

Last edited:

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had chatter problems also. Even have changed to the 8" doughnut coil which seemed to help some. I also have wifi at my house and I think that was the bigger problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread