Tesoro Mojave Struttin' In The Silver Looking For Gold

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my large permission corner lot today to put the Mojave through its paces on virgin ground. I knew yesterday when I got the permission that it was going to be loaded with silver coins. The house is vacant because both of the owner's parents had died and he has never gotten around to selling it.

He said that he and his family of 5 bothers and sisters moved into the house in 1956 when he was just a baby. He told me stories about all the kids in the neighborhood and where they played. Now I know where else to look in the nearby area.

The owner of the house lives in a really old house in a older part of town that I'm going detect as soon as I asked him. LOL I know the street that he lives on and it's going be well worth getting that permission. My key chain lights will help pave the way.

My very first dig this morning was a wheat penny. It was next to the service walk going to the front door. That's always a good sign and start, except that my lower back starting hurting. I don't usually have that problem, it's normally my legs that get sore. I stopped and went to my SUV and popped a couple of Advil, because I was in some pain, but didn't want to stop.

I found way too much today to tell you about all the digs. Some of the silver coins that I found were partially masked by iron. How know this is that some of the silver coins didn't give a clean round audio response, so after recovering them I'd check the hole again with the discrimination set lower so that the iron would sound off. Sure enough, there was either iron in the hole or right next to it. You won't believe how quiet and smooth this detector runs!

I only detected about a third of the lot and only in one direction. I expect to find more silver and maybe even a gold ring. When I'm finished covering it completely with the Mojave I'm going to go back over it with another detector. This should be fun!

I ended up finding 20 Wheat Pennies, some clad, 9 Nickels with 2 of them being silver War Nickels, a Sterling Silver Ring, 4 Mercury Dimes and 3 Rosie dimes for a total of 10 silvers.

The Mojave was set in the low ground condition setting, full sensitivity and the discrimination was set just high enough to discriminate out nails. The Mojave didn't make a sound unless it was over a target. The audio response is so pleasing to the ear. I love this detector! It's audio carries a lot of info in its single tone.

tabman

Attachments

• Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 001.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 001.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 003.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 003.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 004.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 004.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 005.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 005.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 007.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 007.JPG
    732.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 008.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 008.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 010.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 010.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 012.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 012.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 013.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 013.JPG
    730.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 015.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 015.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 016.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 016.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 018.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 018.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 019.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 019.JPG
    777 KB · Views: 244
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 020.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 020.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 022.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 022.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 226
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 025.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 025.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 026.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 026.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 028.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 028.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 029.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 029.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 030.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 030.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 040.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 040.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 044.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 044.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 034.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 034.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 23

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another walk in the park for Mr. Tabman.

Very nice- hope to see some gold soon!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great little silver hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gratz Tab! Been raining here so haven't been able to hunt.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver round-up! That worn out Merc actually looks pretty cool. :icon_thumright:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt but does anybody ever say no when you ask. You must be a real charmer

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt! Tesoro should thank you; you just sold a ton of their new Mojave detectors!

What was the average depth of the silver?

I just saw the last photo! That yard is loaded!!!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on yet another sweet silver rescue tabman. :occasion14: You shooting for 300 this year? :dontknow:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great little silver hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:
Thanks! I lucked up got on a good site once again.

Gratz Tab! Been raining here so haven't been able to hunt.
Thanks! I can't wait until you get some swing time in with your Mojave and hear about your experiences.

Nice silver round-up! That worn out Merc actually looks pretty cool. :icon_thumright:
Thanks! I bet that Merc would have discriminated out at zinc penny.

Nice hunt but does anybody ever say no when you ask. You must be a real charmer
Thanks! I very seldom get a 'no'. It's been that way all my life. Just be nice to people and they'll be nice right back most of the time.

Wow crazy good! PS: I order some key chain lights two day ago:laughing7:
Thanks! I hope you got the good ones. It's just a way of saying thank you. I don't feel as guilty talking them in to saying 'yes' when I hand them a key chain light.

Congrats on the silver and I'm sure gold is in the future
Thanks! I always find gold with a Tesoro. With how hard that the Mojave hits on gold, it shouldn't take long to get a gold ring cornered.

Awesome hunt! Tesoro should thank you; you just sold a ton of their new Mojave detectors!

What was the average depth of the silver?

I just saw the last photo! That yard is loaded!!!

Thanks! Most of the silver was pretty shallow today, I'd say just a few inches at most. Actually, I need to be thanking Tesoro for making such a fun detector to use. I highly recommend the Mojave!

Congrats on yet another sweet silver rescue tabman. :occasion14: You shooting for 300 this year? :dontknow:
Thanks! I'm not shooting for anything this year. Heck I'm not even going to keep count. I'm just going to enjoy myself.

tabman

robs

Sep 20, 2014
Cormorant, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro silver umax, Fisher F2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for yet another great review. May have to sell my silver u max and get the mojave.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another stellar day of silver, tabman........you're just killin' it, no matter what detector you pull out of your arsenal!!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it Tab, GOOD JOB. Keep em coming.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one with your machine, that tiny coil help tremendously. Silver charmer would be a better handle, lol Congrats on a great hunt.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for yet another great review. May have to sell my silver u max and get the mojave.
You're welcome! You won't regret getting the Tesoro Mojave, it's a kick butt detector that will work great for both silver and gold.

Another stellar day of silver, tabman........you're just killin' it, no matter what detector you pull out of your arsenal!!
Thanks! Yeah, I like using different detectors. I can't tell you how much fun this detector is to use. It's that good!

Love it Tab, GOOD JOB. Keep em coming.
Thanks! I'm house bound today because of the rain storm coming in. I can't wait to get back to that site with the Mojave.

You are one with your machine, that tiny coil help tremendously. Silver charmer would be a better handle, lol Congrats on a great hunt.
Thanks! Having a good detector, knowing how to use it and having a good site to detect makes for a great day.

tabman

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold is coming your way tabman I can feel it you will be the second person to find first gold with the Mojave:metaldetector:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ok tabman, I'll be the devil's advocate here: Do you think this machine (or any other of the Tesoro 2-filters of this class of Tesoros) can tell the difference between gold and aluminum ? This notion was seemingly (or ... more correctly "blatantly") claimed on a certain dealer video. (Gee, let's say whatever it takes to make sales, eh ? )

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold is coming your way tabman I can feel it you will be the second person to find first gold with the Mojave:metaldetector:
Thanks! It will happened when I least expect it. I know one thing, if I get gold under the Mojave's coil, it's mine.

ok tabman, I'll be the devil's advocate here: Do you think this machine (or any other of the Tesoro 2-filters of this class of Tesoros) can tell the difference between gold and aluminum ? This notion was seemingly (or ... more correctly "blatantly") claimed on a certain dealer video. (Gee, let's say whatever it takes to make sales, eh ? )

You're no advocate. The answer is yes and no. In the hands of an experienced user using the correct method or methods, you can eliminate a lot of aluminum trash targets when searching for gold rings. I hardly ever employ those methods, because I'm a dig it all type guy, because those silver and gold chains can be tricky! You can write this down in your book, the Tesoro Mojave is super hot on gold jewelry! If that's what you're after, its hard to beat. Tom if I were you, I wouldn't stand in front of that dealer and call him a blatant liar. It's much safer to do it on the forums, because he doesn't look like the kind of guy that would stand for it.

tabman

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... The answer is yes and no. In the hands of an experienced user using the correct method or methods, you can eliminate a lot of aluminum trash targets when searching for gold rings.....

Well there it is. The never ending question/claim "left dangling". The "takeaway" from what you posted above is as follows:

That if a person practices long enough (aka "experienced"), and is using the correct "methods/settings" ("special tuning tricks" as said by the video maker), then you can eliminate "a lot" ("70 to 80%", according to the video maker) of aluminum.

Well gee, then it seems as if the notion is upheld, eh ? I mean, if someone goes and digs 100 aluminum "with regular detector" and "without special dealer settings and machine", then it only stands to reason that if he can eliminate "70 to 80%" of that" and focus on gold rings, then presto, he's discerning the tones and sounds of aluminum vs gold. Right ?

And again, I say, .... if ANYONE can take me to a blighted junky urban park and show me this "trick", I'm all game. But alas, we will hear only the sounds of silence. While these claims continue to be made :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions