Tesoro On Salt Water Sand?

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i will have to look for that one. i use a vaquero and never attempted hunting at a beach. we have a wicked tide up here and when it is low, there is a lot of wet sand to hunt without getting near the water.

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my Compadre on wet salt sand and got a lot of false signals. If the signal wasn't repeatable I moved on. It wasn't something that was unbearable but it was tiring. Perfectly fine on dry sand and found lots of bottle caps and buried cans. :)

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buy a Sand Shark. You will love it in the salt...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had good results with the Cibola in wet saltwater sand. I would always say get a Sand Shark, which I also own, but When I did my experiments with the Compadre, Cibola and the Vaquero at an Atlantic beach, the Cibola came out on top. Less false signals, decent depth in the wet sand (6"-7"), absolutely killer in the dry sand (7"- 9"). Tesoro Lobo Super Traq was the overall loser at the beach because it's operating frequency is too high to discriminate out big iron in low discriminate modes (nickel or below).

spanner

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my Tejon in wet salt sand in Mexico, reducing gain to 5-6 eliminated the falsing but performance was poor for the machine as ground balance wouldn't set. It worked fine in dry sand. 5-6" is nothing for the Vac, I got similar depth with the Tejon in wet salt but don't expect to hit the small stuff at that depth. Those 5 Peso coins are about the size of a US half dollar, they will hit at 6" in wet salt sand, but I wouldn't expect a ring to. Bought a Tiger Shark last month, I'll try that next time in the wet salt. Yeah I know PI machines are suppose to be better in salt but most of my water hunting will be in fresh water so I went with the Tiger.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I viewed the same vid and then tried to replicate it and found that in the beaches where I hunt , I was unable too.
I found that the only way to even get close was to use the 5.75" widesscan coil.
Again these are only my results others may vary.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, Guys!! Just cause someone says they use a certain detector at the beach doesn't mean the conditions at your beach will be the same. Some beaches have more black sand or the salt content could be different.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, Guys!! Just cause someone says they use a certain detector at the beach doesn't mean the conditions at your beach will be the same. Some beaches have more black sand or the salt content could be different.
Sandman is correct, that is why even on my excals the sensitivity is set at different levels on different beaches...

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, having pounded beaches here for more than 22 years, I can tell you that you really need a dedicated machine to hunt salty wet sand.

But there are a few tricks to help you hunt with a single frequency VLF detector.

Here's one of them :

-You will be tempted to ground balance your unit to salt and to use a standard or larger coil. The obesession of depth.

Well, don't.

Ground balanced to salt, a VLF monofrequency unit will become less sensitive to gold. To convince yourself of this phenomenon, just do airtests with small rings, chains, pendants, earrings, all what falls into the category "small, thin, weighltess GOLD. Eye-opener test.

You will have to hunt wet sands leaving the GB at a higher than effective setting, ideally the default setting or max 20%lower towards salt.

Of course your detector will chatter, and you don't want to lower the sens.

Good news, the second part of the trick : use a small coil.

Small coils see les ground (less ground signals) AND are more sensitive to (small) gold.

Do you read me?

Last thing : small gold tend to live at the high tide mark. A matter of waves and weight. Hunt there. You will find gold.

I have found small rings with the ETP and 5" dd and 8" concentric coils, and with the golden µmax and the 9x8 coil.

If you are tempted by the low tide hunt, go there and dig a hole. Look what depth you are when you see the hard pack, that is a layer of compact, heavy sand, where objects and coins can stay for a while.

If it is deeper than 6", your attempts to find gold rings will result in frustrations and zilch gold.

You might dig a hole where gullies are present, the hard pack there is generally shallower.

When I hunt for coins at the beach, and recognise a favourable situation at the high tide mark, I have a go with the detector I swing with the above settings.

And it works.

Ang gosh ! yes !! I swing two minelabs and a PI !

HH

Grumpy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread