Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro Tejon 3x18" widescan coil junk

or is it a great coil?

I've stayed away from this design mainly because I wondered about depth. Is this a clad coil? You know, just a shallow pocket change getter.

No offence to the clad hunters but I rate new coinage about 1 notch higher than pulltabs. I'd even rather dig an old horseshoe than 300 Memorial cents.

Does the 3x18 for the Tejon go deep? How deep?

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tesoro Tejon 3x18" widescan coil junk

Badger, the 3X18 inch Clean Sweep Coil for the Tejon is made for covering lots of ground quickly and gets a depth like a seven inch coil and is hot from front to back like a DD coil. Pinpointing is easy off the front or heel.

Many coins new and old are found withing shallow depths. You just gotta get the coil over it and when your searching a large area nothing beats a large coil for covering area. It's the time spent X area sweeped = finds recovered. It's like sifting the first 7" of dirt for an 18 inch sweep.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

I'd like to get one, but it's an expensive beast. Since I already have the 12x10, I figure this new one has to go on the back burner.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Grib, I'm a little disappointed in the 12X10. It was haing a hard time finding a quarter at 10" in light soil. I guess it's more of a relic coil or maybe I just need to try it more.

As for the 3X18, yes it definitely covers a chunk of ground in a hurry, however I'm having a thought about it. The 3X18 I have is for the Umax DeLeon and my thoughts are wandering over using it slow instead of the faster ground cover it's made to do. Since it's only 3" wide (which makes it 2.75" narrower than their sniper coil), I had thought about doing something weird. Instead of letting the lower stem lock in and running it in a "I" fashion which is normal, I thought about unlocking the lower stem and with a bit of duct tape running it in a "-" with the length of the coil from left to right instead of front to back.

This might allow me to get in between the trash a bit better even though I already have a 5.75" concentric for the DeLeon already.

Any thoughts or should I just call ahead and make reservations at the Neoprene Hilton? LOL

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, the depth sounds pretty decent but I still can't figure how such a wide sweep coil could work in a trashy area. Most places I hunt (the good sites) have an iron target about every 6 inches. I use the stock coil and listen for those slightly mellow sounds in between the clipped discriminated iron clicks. I hunt with the discrimination set on foil (Tejon).

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Using the 3 X 18 inch Clean Sweep Coil in a trashy area like you mentioned would really slow you down since you'd have to slide the coil forward to each item and unless you dug ALL the targets, the ones at the heel of the coil would still bug you. The best option would be to use the smallest but deepest coil you have, but it's hard to have both depth and small dia. for moving between the trash.

Maybe someday someone will come up with a wide scan coil that we can also turn a dial and narrow down the dia. of the field. Now our only option is to raise the coil from the ground to narrow the field which also losses our depth.

Having a WOT coil on a Minelab with BBS sounds better all the time since BBS doesn't see iron. Hummm, I am gonna have to look into that myself............

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Would you say the widescan is best suited to shallow water hunting in areas with little trash?

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The widescan is suited for wading shallow water and dry land hunting where you have a lot of area to cover in a short amount of time. Using it on a beaches dry sand is a good way to beat the other hunters to the goodies while they are swinging those small coils and only covering half the area you are in one sweep. Since you want to recover everything in the water ya wanna scoop it all but the iron, which you disc. out. Using it on large fields will cover more area also, but like I said before, it isn't as deep as a large DD, but is lighter weight.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I tried the 3X18 in the above manner but ran into the problems Sandman mentioned. So I folded the coil along the lower stem and tried using just the toe as a baby sniper. It's OK but doesn't have much depth and it's still a bit heavy to operate that way. So it'll be used either in larger areas to find the hot spots and to use relic hunting where you dig everything anyway.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

stoney56 said:
I tried the 3X18 in the above manner but ran into the problems Sandman mentioned. So I folded the coil along the lower stem and tried using just the toe as a baby sniper. It's OK but doesn't have much depth and it's still a bit heavy to operate that way. So it'll be used either in larger areas to find the hot spots and to use relic hunting where you dig everything anyway.

Thanks Stoney and Sandman, I think now I've gotten a better understanding of this almost mysterious coil.

As I see it now it's basically for shallow rapid ground coverage. Probably the ground coverage, while walking briskly and listening for those easy loud beeps, would be about 3-4 inches of depth (deeper if used at a snail's pace which would defeat it's main purpose of speed).

The trouble with this scenario is most of my finds in this poor hunting area are mixed in with lots of trash so this coil would be basically worthless at most of my sites.

However I can see where it would have value at some beach and relic sites. This is assuming those sites are flat and free of brush, which once again rules out most of my relic sites.

I guess now that I think about it, this coil is probably not for me. If it cost like $80 I'd get one for those rare hunting situations but at about $165 it's a little pricey for a closet coil.

Yes, the Cleansweep (in my opinion) is mostly a clad hunters dream come true (with a few fat gold rings thrown in). ;D

For me I'll continue to hunt slow and deep.

Badger

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Hey Badge, try out the new 5.75 Widescan coil. I put one on my Cibola and it is pretty neat. Good depth and see's in between trash pretty well. Might be worth a try for you!!!!
greg

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gregl01 said:
Hey Badge, try out the new 5.75 Widescan coil. I put one on my Cibola and it is pretty neat. Good depth and see's in between trash pretty well. Might be worth a try for you!!!!
greg

I've had lots of people tell me to get that 5.75. I may just do that. I'd say this would be a much better investment for me than the Cleansweep.

I do have to say though I wish I did have some big open flat places to hunt so I could get a Cleansweeper. In this area one can't dig at the camp grounds or local ballpark, etc. And where I do most of my beach hunting the targets are usually well beyond the depth of the 3x18. Darn it!

Badger

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

The widescans, except for perhaps that new little 5.75 widescan, are great for wide open clean areas. I use the 12x10 for farm fields and cedar woods hunting. They cover a lot more ground and you won't miss anything. You don't have to overlap, but they are hard to pinpoint. As far as depth, remember these coils have a bowl shaped field under the coil, not a cone shape. I don't think they will go as deep as a concentric due to the way the field is generated, but I have never bothered trying in all metal to see how deep it would go.

D

Doctor Detroit

I just ordered a HOT 5.75 since I found a place where the trash is unbelievable.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
The widescan is suited for wading shallow water and dry land hunting where you have a lot of area to cover in a short amount of time. Using it on a beaches dry sand is a good way to beat the other hunters to the goodies while they are swinging those small coils and only covering half the area you are in one sweep. Since you want to recover everything in the water ya wanna scoop it all but the iron, which you disc. out. Using it on large fields will cover more area also, but like I said before, it isn't as deep as a large DD, but is lighter weight.

Sandman (or whomever), is the DD deeper than the stock Tejon coil? I saw 1 depth chart that rated it 1 inch deeper than the stock.

Badger

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Hey Badge, I've seen that others have said the12x10DD is slightly deeper than the regular 9x8. I know my 5.75DD air tests most coins to about 6" or so. Your Tejon would probably be a little deeper though :D
Greg

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gregl01 said:
Hey Badge, I've seen that others have said the12x10DD is slightly deeper than the regular 9x8. I know my 5.75DD air tests most coins to about 6" or so. Your Tejon would probably be a little deeper though :D
Greg

Thanks Greg. It might be a little deeper. That is if you're using a uMax machine.

Matched with the same coil I'm begining to think there's not that much difference in depth with all the Tesoro models when used in milder soil. When minerals enter the picture the ground balance machines will rule the day.

Badger

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Michigan Badger said:
Sandman (or whomever), is the DD deeper than the stock Tejon coil? I saw 1 depth chart that rated it 1 inch deeper than the stock.

Badger

No, if it is deeper, it isn't noticeable enough to make a difference. The 12x10 widescan is really to cover a lot of area quickly since you don't have to overlap swings. My soil is all nasty clay though and it is the only place I have ever used it. I don't know how deep it would go in that nice sugary sand soil they got out east. I am going to bring it along this fall when I head to the east coast and test it out.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Gribnitz said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

No, if it is deeper, it isn't noticeable enough to make a difference. The 12x10 widescan is really to cover a lot of area quickly since you don't have to overlap swings. My soil is all nasty clay though and it is the only place I have ever used it. I don't know how deep it would go in that nice sugary sand soil they got out east. I am going to bring it along this fall when I head to the east coast and test it out.

I read Gary's UK writeup (I think it was he) and he claimed more depth with the DD. He didn't say how much more though. I saw a chart where they gave the 12x10 DD an inch more depth over the 9x8.

I think the DD is on my get list.

Badger

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I didn't think there was a 12X10 DD available for the Tejon. Is that something new or did I miss something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread