Tesoro verses minelab

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After alot of thought, I'm willing to trade my tesoro compadre for a minelab e-trac...or I'd settle for a safari. This is a big sacrifice on my part....but all offers will be considered. Don't miss this deal of a lifetime.only reason I'm making this incredible trade deal is because I need a back up detector. Heard minelabs are next in line to Tesoro...& I need a back up detector

Upvote 0

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now what would make you want a 5 pound detector?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
After alot of thought, I'm willing to trade my tesoro compadre for a minelab e-trac...or I'd settle for a safari. This is a big sacrifice on my part....but all offers will be considered. Don't miss this deal of a lifetime.only reason I'm making this incredible trade deal is because I need a back up detector. Heard minelabs are next in line to Tesoro...& I need a back up detector

Minelab E-trac = $1,549.00

Minelab Safari = $999.00

Tesoro Compadre = $160.65

I'd make that deal anyday !!! :headbang: :BangHead:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Adrian I think that if you look at minelab's service and all the problems one's have with there Minelab detectors ........ I think that if you trade your tesoro for a Minelab you would be trading down.... Who ever got your tesoro is the one that will get the best deal..... And you will get shafted......Think it over...

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TORRERO said:
iCandy said:

Minelab E-trac = $1,549.00

Minelab Safari = $999.00

Tesoro Compadre = $160.65

I'd make that deal anyday !!! :headbang: :BangHead:

Wait, wait...
Minelab E-trac = 15 inches plus
Tesoro = about 7 inches :tongue3:

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Adrian I think that if you look at minelab's service and all the problems one's have with there Minelab detectors ........ I think that if you trade your tesoro for a Minelab you would be trading down.... Who ever got your tesoro is the one that will get the best deal..... And you will get shafted......Think it over...

I think you might be right Kepp....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would like to trade a child's toy in for a real machine. Good luck! :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
I too would like to trade a child's toy in for a real machine. Good luck! :icon_thumright:
Boy O Boy..... You guys sure have a big ego over nothing..... And a bad attitude...... You know a lot do not like minelab because of one's with attitude's like yours.....I use minelab so i can knock Minelab and there service and price...... But i do not call other detectors toys .... When they are not toys........ Tesoro put's out a good detector............ Your ego and head is so big you can not find a hat big enought to fit that swelled up head of yours.........

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
bazinga said:
Boy O Boy..... You guys sure have a big ego over nothing..... And a bad attitude...... You know a lot do not like minelab because of one's with attitude's like yours.....I use minelab so i can knock Minelab and there service and price...... But i do not call other detectors toys .... When they are not toys........ Tesoro put's out a good detector............ Your ego and head is so big you can not find a hat big enought to fit that swelled up head of yours.........

Can you say with a straight face that a compadre is not a glorified toy? It's not even in the same breath as an ace 250 and I consider that to be a toy as well. Whenever people ask what machine they should get for their CHILD, many of the responses are for compadres. I did not comment on the other machines in the Tesoro line as I don't consider those to be toys, so I don't understand why you jumped to that assumption.

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
bazinga said:

I agree Keppy.....let's be honest here...

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
bazinga said:
Can you say with a straight face that a compadre is not a glorified toy? It's not even in the same breath as an ace 250 and I consider that to be a toy as well. Whenever people ask what machine they should get for their CHILD, many of the responses are for compadres. I did not comment on the other machines in the Tesoro line as I don't consider those to be toys, so I don't understand why you jumped to that assumption.

Pretty much everything you typed there is incorrect.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I will very confidently say the Compadre is not a glorified toy. I have used a Compadre many times and it finds everything that most other detectors will find costing much more.

Yes, the E-Trac/Exlplorer will definitely go deeper and with the target information display, you will dig less trash. No question. But you're also spending over $1,200.00 as opposed to $170.00.

With the Compadre, you get a lot more than you paid for, and if you used one consistently, you would know that.

Glad you love your Explorer, it is a great detector, no question. And its just plain silly to try and compare the two.

But to knock what a lot of people use, and have had much success with, just because you think yours is the biggest and best, is just plain old fashioned snobbiness. And really, didn't we outgrow that nonsense in grade school?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a top of the line detector and I have and Ace 250 for a back up.... I consider it a toy compared to my main detector... but if it finds treasure I don't care if its considered a toy or not. Finding treasure is what its all about... so what if you have to dig more trash... your going to dig trash anyways if you are doing it right.

Chukers

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how is a detector defined as a "toy"? Obviously it is meant to be a degrading statement, but lets dig into the meat of it for a second.

So we have two detectors, one costing $160 and another costing seven times that much, so its a pretty lopsided comparison, I'll grant you that.

But again, we're trying to define "toy" here.

The Explorer will find silver and copper targets deeper than the Compadre. So score one for Explorer.

The Compadre will find small gold targets better than the Explorer. "Nonsense!" some will scream. Yeah, I love it when they do that. Its like I've defiled the great Great Church of the Sacred Minelab. But its all too true I'm afraid. The Explorer is not the best gold detector out there. Humble little Compadre wins that test, time and again. So score one for Compadre.

Hmm. Tied so far. No "toy" in the bunch.

Ok, next is warranty. The Compadre has a lifetime warranty, the Minelab warranty period is....oh dear. Not lifetime. Wow. I guess Minelab doesn't believe in their product that much. Score one for Compadre.

Customer service on repairs when needed? This one isn't even close. Score another for Compadre.

Now lets look at features.

The Compadre has one knob. Discrimination. You set it where you want it and then you go hunt. The Explorer, well, does basically the same thing, except you have a much more confusing and sophisticated tone id (which I hear is fantastic once you learn what its telling you). And a fantastic display ID. The Compadre only beeps. One tone. But you've set your discrimination already, so you ought to be prepared to dig anything above that, right? Still, that extra $1100 you paid went somewhere, so Explorer wins on volume of target identification.

Quality of construction? Look pretty equal but I wouldn't advise throwing either in the water. A tie.

Weight? Well Compadre is lighter by a long shot and you can swing it all day without fatigue. Don't know you can say the same about the Explorer. In fact, I know you can't. So Compadre wins that one.

Quality of finds: boy thats tough. It really depends on where you hunt. For relics and old copper and silver, or even at the beach, I'd want an Explorer. Most other places, the Compadre more than fits the bill. But heck, lets be friendly and give that one to Explorer too.

Recovery time? Haven't run that test, but I know Comapdre recovers very fast. Minelab does not have reputation for quick recovery. And that comes from members of the Church of the Sacred Minelab, not me.

Well, looks like Compadre and Explorer are great detectors in their class. But I don't see a toy in either of them.

Sorry for the reality jolt. Please disregard. We now return you to the "my detector is better than yours" discussion already in progress.

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
iCandy said:

A $160 detector (compadre) for a $1500 detector (etrac) ??? am i missing something here?
"deal of a lifetime" for who?
"incredible trade deal" ???

really?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebodies "Toy"

untitled.gif

My toys :headbang:

Picture 024.jpg

I Need more Toys !

Don't have an Etrac or GPX 5000 Yet

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, normally I stay out of these debates because its not worth it. But not all Minelab owners have swelled egos. Technically that could be said of any person with an affection to any detector brand. Personally I look at this kind of stuff as childish. GROW UP!

I'll tell you I use a Minelab E-Trac. I switched from a Whites Eagle Spectrum. I use what machine works with ME best. That happenes to be the Minelab E-Trac. Everyone needs to quit whipping it out and comparing because when its comes to it, the best machine is the one YOU use. The more experiance you have on a machine the better. Learn the machine, get experiance and use it. If you wish to "upgrade" later, so be it. A "upgrade" is in the eye of the user and varies person to person.

Is Minelab a heavy machine? YES. Especially when comparing a Tesoro to a Minelab, not even the same ballpark as wieght is concerned. Oh well, use whats best for YOU not others.

I had to say somthing cause I am a Minelab dealer. But you will never hear me say Minelab only. I also sell Teknetics and Fishers. I go by what is best FOR THE CUSTOMER, NOT ME!

EVERYBODY ACT YOUR AGE!

John DeArmitt
Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Smudge said:
So how is a detector defined as a "toy"? Obviously it is meant to be a degrading statement, but lets dig into the meat of it for a second.

This post really nailed it.

No, the Compadre is not a Minelab. What it is is a $160 metal detector that works damn well, is very durable, super lightweight and even has its own niche, as far as doing something particularly well that other machines that cost a lot more don't keep up with.

It doesn't matter what the hobby, there are always the 'premier gear snobs'.

If you're a guitarist, they are the ones who play a $17,000 Olson.
If you're a golfer, they're the ones buying a new set of the best clubs, every year.
If you're a woodworker, they're the ones who only use Lie Nielsen tools.
If you're into the shooting sports, they're the guys who spent $3500 on a match grade rifle.

... and as is expected, the top practitioners of any field of interest usually use the priciest and most 'respected' brands, but there's a very curious thing that goes on with everyone else.

Amazingly enough, a lot of guitarists who own that $17,000 Olson are hardly mediocre as guitar players.
That guy who buys a new set of top clubs every year? Handicapped to death....
The woodworker who cites all manner of reasons why he will only use the $375 plane and not the $37.50 one? That's him over there, still working on turning a garden variety table leg...
And Mr. Super Tactical Marksman Warrior who only shoots the $4000 rifle and carries a 'finely tuned' $2K 1911 pistol?
There he is over there in the far stall, shooting 3 1/2" groups from a benchrest, even though the rifle is mechanically capable of shooting quarter inch groups.

Metal Detecting is one pursuit where the balance of relevance does break heavier towards gear than it does skill (since there is no way to 'skill' greater depth) but at the end of the day, is it really making a difference when you're detecting 6" deep into the mulch on a tot lot? The drysand towel line on the beach where everything lost that day is 10" or less?

It's natural for some people to get hung up in the "biggest-fastest-most" mentality and that's fine, but often times, it causes them to overlook (or, look down on) adequate gear that serves a purpose and might offer a cost benefit, a weight benefit, or whatever.

The Compadre is a fine machine. If one day you decide that you're going to take MDing very seriously then yes, you will broaden your battery of machines, but that little Compadre will remain relevant.

And lets not overlook the fact that somewhere in Southeast Asia, there's a kid playing amazing stuff on a $100 guitar that every American would laugh at, while John Q Dentist buys another $4000 Les Paul to play the 3 chords he knows. Same goes with Metal Detecting. Yes, gear performance is meaningful, but if we had a contest between a highly experienced detectorist with a knack for site selection and a Compadre, versus a clueless new guy with the best machine money can buy, the experienced detectorist puts more treasure in the pouch with that $160 machine than the clueless guy does with the $1600 machine.

Whew! Long one. Sorry. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread