Tesoro's on Dry Sand Beaches

Berryman

May 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my Mohave, my Silver Sabre uMAX and my Golden on my local dry sand ocean beaches with great success. Am I the only one to use their Tesoro's this way or are there others of you out there? If so, I'd appreciate hearing some of the techniques you use to improve your odds of finding coins and jewelry on the beach.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad to hear that because I'm headed to Galveston next week to stay at my sister's beach home. How did they do in wet sand?

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my Cibola in the dry sand with great success as well. The 11" x 8" Widescan is perfect for gridding the towel line when the tide comes back in and I'm finished hitting the water and wet sand with the Sand Shark. I pick a spot about 20' wide by 30' long where people were putting down there blankets, towels and chairs earlier in the day or the day before, and grid it north to south, then east to west. :skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was mentioned use a baggie over the control box to keep the salt moisture out of it......

OP
OP
B

Berryman

May 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's at the Beach

It will chirp a bit on wet/damp sand if the coil touches the sand. So I try to swing the coil one to two inches above the sand. I haven't tried putting the coil in the seawater but suspect it would become quite unstable. BTW - beach sand in my area is heavily mineralized, so I have to run the Mohave with the ground switch on "high".

I'm glad to hear that because I'm headed to Galveston next week to stay at my sister's beach home. How did they do in wet sand?

tabman

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw in all metal motion works great in dry sand.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've mentioned this before, but I have successfully used my Compadre in wet salt sand, and even saltwater. Now, it's not a deep machine in these conditions, nor would I take it out past knee-deep, but it runs quiet and stable in both wet sand and water. The only caveat is it only gets 1-2" from what I can tell in the water. In the wet sand, I think it was hitting about 3". Now those don't sound like very impressive depths, but the stability is what was impressive. I pulled an earring back out of the water at about 2", which is a small target, but a valid target nonetheless. A week or so later, I hit the same beach with my Explorer SE, and a week after that with my Sand Shark. Both the Exp SE and SS were comparative depth monsters, but the Compadre will work just fine if you're just looking for recent drops (ie, shallow drops).

If I could justify a Mojave, I would love to try one out in the wet sand and shallow water. If the Mojave truly is a Compadre on steroids, I think it may possibly be an excellent wet sand machine. But, having the Compadre already, along with the SS and SE, the Mojave is not in my foreseeable future. I'd love to hear feedback from Mojave owners on trying it out in wet salt sand.

But to the original question, but the Compadre and Sand Shark are both great on dry sand.

OP
OP
B

Berryman

May 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
38 clad, two keys, a metal car and a small silver charm with the Mohave at San Clemente beach (CA) yesterday morning in a little less than two hours.

I've mentioned this before, but I have successfully used my Compadre in wet salt sand, and even saltwater. Now, it's not a deep machine in these conditions, nor would I take it out past knee-deep, but it runs quiet and stable in both wet sand and water. The only caveat is it only gets 1-2" from what I can tell in the water. In the wet sand, I think it was hitting about 3". Now those don't sound like very impressive depths, but the stability is what was impressive. I pulled an earring back out of the water at about 2", which is a small target, but a valid target nonetheless. A week or so later, I hit the same beach with my Explorer SE, and a week after that with my Sand Shark. Both the Exp SE and SS were comparative depth monsters, but the Compadre will work just fine if you're just looking for recent drops (ie, shallow drops).

If I could justify a Mojave, I would love to try one out in the wet sand and shallow water. If the Mojave truly is a Compadre on steroids, I think it may possibly be an excellent wet sand machine. But, having the Compadre already, along with the SS and SE, the Mojave is not in my foreseeable future. I'd love to hear feedback from Mojave owners on trying it out in wet salt sand.

But to the original question, but the Compadre and Sand Shark are both great on dry sand.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm taking my Mojave to Galveston Beach with me next week to see how it will do.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions