Test for diamonds?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
show them to a gold digging woman, the way her eyes will sparkle will tell you right off............not serious of course................................gldhntr

Upvote 0
G'day

The easiest way to tell is by the luster and hardness. Quartz, CZ, Corundum (sapphire).... will cut glass. Glass is soft. If these stones have some age on them clean them with dish soap and a toothbrush over a bowel not over a sink. Hit them with some windex then dry. Get a 10 power loup and reflect the light off of the crown facets and the table. Look for a adamantine Luster (great shine) and no scratches. You can chip or break Diamond but that is toughness not hardness. Diamond is so hard Grammas Diamond will look almost as good as when grandpa bought it. This test does not work for new stones out of whereever store, other more sophisticated test are needed for Identification.

Adrian Dyette G.G.

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jake, you should if possible see a reputable jewelry dealer and I'm not refering to Small-Mart to test the rings. They should have a diamond tester that will tell the difference between diamond, CZ's, and Moissanite. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way is to take it to a reputable jeweler like Stoney said. The surest way to do it at home is to purchase a diamond tester. This lil do-hickie will tell you if it's real, but not the grade. Only a good jeweler can do this correctly. Don't let it out of your sight!!!! I've been told they can now make CZ's that test as diamonds and can scratch glass. The trick is to test the stone on all sides. A diamond will test good on all sides.

Used to be you could just examine the setting and if it sparkles. Not anymore.

HH,
Sandman

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sandman, how true. I even heard of some that at one time glued a bit of diamond on top of other clear stone since that's where most run a diamond tester.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: The basic refraction index of a clear diamond is the same as clear water, sooo just dop it into a glass of clear water and it should effectively disappear.

This of course, does not apply to colored diamonds, the impurity colors will show up.

Jose de La mancha ( I tilt windmills )

Upvote 0

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Re: Test for diamonds? Test for Glass, Fugarites, Lightning Glass, Etc.?

Howdy all, Okay, I think I got a Green Diamond that I found recently in some placer deposit up here in Idaho along with a Topaz Gem...But my question is....Does GLASS Cut GLASS and if it does, does the GLASS Shatter....I got this Green Little Beauty that Scratches Glass without any effect of the stone (Gem or whatever), from everything I've read so far, Green Diamonds are Exceedingly RARE and Most Jewelers have a difficult time Identifying Them...I'm in a quandry over this cause there's lot's of these little green stones coming up into my pan as I pan gold.....Could they also be like Green Garnets, Emeralds or what? I find NO OLD Pioneer Junk mixed into this placer area and have ruled out the old broken glass theory and also the Fugarite-Lightning Glass syndrome, a person tried to tell me it was, although he did not have the credentials or experience or proof that it was......Will a Professional Jeweler Identify it for me?.......Cause I know where there might be a whole field of them, of WHATEVER THEY ARE!...Darrell

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

you can get yourself a good diamond tester, but...

Think the Russians came up with a stone called
Moissanite. Looks like a good diamond, and.............
Most diamond testers will not catch it, you need new
testers that will check if its Moissanite.

have a good un............

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread