Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OP
OP
T

trish76642

If I would've just done what I wanted to do instead of what others wanted me to do..

wished i had a dollar for everytime i thought the same thing.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
I'm getting a lot of that "oh, grow up" right now.

All I wanna find is one crate of gold bars--I ain't greedy. ;D

LD

OP
OP
T

trish76642

21stTNCav said:
I really liked that link. It was pretty good. CAB

Im glad CAB...i was hopeing those who didnt already have it, would enjoy reading the stories.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I am in the process of trying to pin down a treasure legend in Big Spring, Tx. right now. According to my grandfather cowboys used to pan for gold in Wildhorse Canyon. He said they averaged about $30 dollars a week. Although the precise location wasn't revealed in the telling, there are only two places in the canyon where the limestone caprock has been broken by PreCambrian rock upheavals. One at the headwaters of the Big Wildhorse and one at the headwaters of the Little Wildhorse Creek. I'm going to both locations this month with metal detector and shovel. According to the story, no one ever found out where this "panned" gold originated from. At the very least, i will dig down to bedrock at these locations and find out if anything is there. I'll let you know what i find. Or don't find.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
TheNewCatfish said:
I am in the process of trying to pin down a treasure legend in Big Spring, Tx. right now. According to my grandfather cowboys used to pan for gold in Wildhorse Canyon. He said they averaged about $30 dollars a week. Although the precise location wasn't revealed in the telling, there are only two places in the canyon where the limestone caprock has been broken by PreCambrian rock upheavals. One at the headwaters of the Big Wildhorse and one at the headwaters of the Little Wildhorse Creek. I'm going to both locations this month with metal detector and shovel. According to the story, no one ever found out where this "panned" gold originated from. At the very least, i will dig down to bedrock at these locations and find out if anything is there. I'll let you know what i find. Or don't find.

I am grinding my teeth so hard on reading this Steve I think I cracked a molar. I would give my eyeteeth to go with you, I mean it really sounds like fun even if nuthin is found. I liked it so much that immediately opened another window to find out how close Big Spring was. Brother, it ain't!! Of course Texas is huge and I live in the East while you live in the open West. I betcha it is more than 10 hours between us.
I really hope you got lucky with you adventure if you went this weekend. Post so we can know!!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Monday 16th May. I bought all my supplies today and will start packing and loading tommorrow AM. Will arrive on Little Wildhorse Creek on Wednesday afternoon after interviewing an elderly land owner in the morning who I've already contacted by phone. Seems across the highway and down a ravine in Little Wildhorse there are three stone walls measuring about 3ft. high and forming a triangular structure 12 ft. across at the back and 40 ft. long. He says it was a cellar for a house that was washed away in a flood when he was a young man.

Tommorrow i will ask him if he personally witnessed the "entire" structure go up from the ground up? My reason is, the wall closest to the Creek appears to me to be made from heavier darker colored stones. Some weighing in excess of 200 lbs. Could the ravine itself (forming two sides of a perfect triangle) have been an earlier excavation? I think it's possible whoever built a house in such a precarious place, may have done so because he was taking advantage of a pre-existing structure. The same geography that led to the house being swept away, also precludes this original wall from being a defensive position. Shooting down into the ravine at the wall from ontop the caprock would have been like shooting "fish in a barrel". Not a good place to be trapped in. 50-75 yrds from the Creek, below the caprock in a ravine, surrounded by Comanche Indians.

Which brings me to another theory. The original wall and the walls of the excavated ravine forming a tringle were deliberately hidden below the cap rock. It could well be an obvious treasure sign. Something as simple as an arrow marker pointing towards the head of the Little Wildhorse Creek less than 2 miles away. Not my theory, one put forth by a relative who served in IRAQ. He says a triangle on the ground is used in linear navigation by soldiers and has been used as such for hundreds of years. Spaniards ? I hope so, because the Conquestadores were no fools. They wouldn't have wasted their time creating such a marker over a few particles of gold found in a creek somewhere.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
TheNewCatfish said:
Monday 16th May. I bought all my supplies today and will start packing and loading tommorrow AM. Will arrive on Little Wildhorse Creek on Wednesday afternoon after interviewing an elderly land owner in the morning who I've already contacted by phone. Seems across the highway and down a ravine in Little Wildhorse there are three stone walls measuring about 3ft. high and forming a triangular structure 12 ft. across at the back and 40 ft. long. He says it was a cellar for a house that was washed away in a flood when he was a young man.

Tommorrow i will ask him if he personally witnessed the "entire" structure go up from the ground up? My reason is, the wall closest to the Creek appears to me to be made from heavier darker colored stones. Some weighing in excess of 200 lbs. Could the ravine itself (forming two sides of a perfect triangle) have been an earlier excavation? I think it's possible whoever built a house in such a precarious place, may have done so because he was taking advantage of a pre-existing structure. The same geography that led to the house being swept away, also precludes this original wall from being a defensive position. Shooting down into the ravine at the wall from ontop the caprock would have been like shooting "fish in a barrel". Not a good place to be trapped in. 50-75 yrds from the Creek, below the caprock in a ravine, surrounded by Comanche Indians.

Which brings me to another theory. The original wall and the walls of the excavated ravine forming a tringle were deliberately hidden below the cap rock. It could well be an obvious treasure sign. Something as simple as an arrow marker pointing towards the head of the Little Wildhorse Creek less than 2 miles away. Not my theory, one put forth by a relative who served in IRAQ. He says a triangle on the ground is used in linear navigation by soldiers and has been used as such for hundreds of years. Spaniards ? I hope so, because the Conquestadores were no fools. They wouldn't have wasted their time creating such a marker over a few particles of gold found in a creek somewhere.

Stop it , stop it!!!!!!!!!! I am ranting and raving around my office about wanted to take off to west Texas!! My co workers think I have gone insane, and they may be right. The prospects for digging gold ore were enough! Now we have treasure lore and Spaniards involved?? My BP is gonna be outa site. I betcha my wife kicks me outta bed because I am going to mumble about this all night!! I am leavin the office to get some work done and RELAX!! Good luck and then some bud!!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The New Catfish said he would let us know what he found at Wildhorse Creek.
If that was 120 days ago we still want him to live up to his promise. Many claims
are made about panning gold in Texas even though geologically it is unlikely.

westtexasbum

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been nearly 3 years now since this was posted. Just wondering if The New Catfish ever found anything, is still looking, or just gave up. Would like to visit with him.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the conversation I know but when I was a young man I read a few books on Texas Treasures. Think it was Bledsoe or something similar can't remember now do to CRS disease. I was told at one of the big treasure shows that half of his stories were made up because of a rivalry between him and another treasure writer. He fabricated stories and his rival would embellish the stories. This was from one of the big bugs in the then young treasure hunting fraternity. He sold me a book and marked the stories that were true. It got lost do to a divorce back in the late 1980's. As was a lot of research material and firearms and other things of value that simple disappeared. Live and learn New firearms, Found a lot more stuff as I had more time and less of her. At any rate just thought that I would add to warn any one that wants to go after any to do your research first.

S.D.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course we have more buried treasure. We're bigger liars than all the rest of you combined.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liars, Liars?????? and here all this time I thought that Texans told nothing but the truth. When you have old tales that are passed down thur many generations things get changed, misunderstood, and mudded up. With as big a state as Texas is and as many natural resources as we have( Oil, Cattle,Coal, and Land ) Worth Money. It is only logical to have people NOT trust banks ,lose to time there gotten or ill gotten gains. In my area of Texas it would take a life time to track down all the treasure leads that I have uncovered in just a few short years that I have lived here. I wasn't born in Texas but I got here just as soon as I could.

S.D.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course we have more buried treasure. We're bigger liars than all the rest of you combined.

We? Speak for yourself austin, jeez. Now I wonder if you were really a History teacher.??? Come to think of it now you have me wondering if I am a real Texan.:laughing7:

Homar

Hand Digger

Greenie
Dec 21, 2015
Rockwall, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no response? He is either living good now or something happened :(

westtexasbum

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering where this went? I live in Howard County. Would be interested in more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread