Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Thanks for the Memories" "Peniobscor Expedition 1779 "Farewell until the Fall"

I first want to thank all of u that have visited my posts and had questions or comments about them. No I do not plan being AWOL again like in 2013 but after hunting this site now for my 23rd year ,and one of my best ever years for relics and coins , the weather is getting warmer, the mosquitoes, "Maine Bird" are now in Division size, black flies aplenty and ticks more active than last year. Time to relax, hit a few parks and enjoy life in my 71st year.
Yesterday decided it would be my last hunt and in about 5 hours scored but one piece of history from this battle. I am putting up this grapeshot of about 1 1/4 inches in size in the first pic. No it is not as exciting as a King George gold guinea, Broad Arrow British cannon ball , Regimental button or even that rare sectional bar shot piece but is pure history and American and from the first day's battle before the American's landed to Trask Rock to engage the British on the 28th of July 1779. Google "Trask Rock" Many of u may not know that this was one of maybe 25 iron grapeshot enclosed against a wood or iron spindle. When complete called a "Stand of Grape" . I have probably found well over 300 or these over the years and do not get tired of digging them. In fact made my own Stand of Grape for a 3 , 6 and 12 pounder from them. Here in pic two. They would have linen cloth over them and held in place by like a twine material. When fired from a cannon would spread out in a shotgun effect and are lethal at close range.
Over the years I have written for a well known treasure hunting mag 6 articles about my finds at this Rev WAr site. Found out if u have a passion for history u need not have any writing knowledge so encourage you folks to write about your finds , make a few dollars for gas money, and see in print your achivements. Need any help just ask . If u have become a student of history as I have about the "Penobscot Expedition and want to read any of mine feel free to message me. I will be surfing Tnet for what all u folks are finding out there and please be safe.
As a response to Casper's commends about a waterfall , a soldiers falling into it and loosing his musket and life not from this battle but possibly "The Arnold Expedition" 1775. By the way Casper I do like your quote " I try to hit where others can't or won't ". That is me and now part mountain Goat with hoofs to prove it. U folks again keep the good stuff coming . By the way on "Banner's " can anyone explain to me what that process is and how long it may take. Thanks for reading , Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3577 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN3577 - Copy.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3684.JPG
    DSCN3684.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 73
  • HalfMoonBattery001.jpg
    HalfMoonBattery001.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN3567.JPG
    DSCN3567.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 19

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Castineman1779, thank you for your story and pictures of your finds. I will be sending you a message and looking back through your older posts because I would like to know more of the story of your traveled battlefield. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You, my friend, have the fever and the obsession that it takes to be great. Your ears must be snow white, and your face tanned like leather by the sun if you want prized local specimens steeped in history.

I would love to write about my own pursuits, but I would have 10,000 normies with detectors from Cabela's looking for old pennies and swarming my little fishing hole from the nearest metropolitan centers. So, hush hush it is!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great reading! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Wonderful finds Gary! You`ve brought this revolutionary battle to life again and saved many artifacts from a slow death of corrosion. Over time things are forgotten but dedicated hunters like you bring them back. Thanks for the good read.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a very special site. Great finds, interesting reading.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds & Story!!! Many Congrats!!!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Rege
Thanks for your thoughts and others as well. As a note about keeping history alive when John Cayford researched this battle and published his work in 1976 called simply "The Penobscot Expedition" the folks in Castine really still wanted to keep what they thought an embarrising loss a secret. However history deserves to be told and now if u visit Castine check out the Castine Historical Society and The Wilson MUseum. There are now historical markers to tell u about Ft George and some battles there and early French occupation. Worth a side trip if u ever get to Vacationland.
BTW I kept Castine a close guarded secret for about my first 2o years but any good relic hunter has to know Paul REvere was in only this battle. Mentioned in last two articles I wrote for WE&T. Yes many have come to hunt here. Some left with history, others not. Gary

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful American 1 pounder fired by American fleet at the 82nd Foot prior to the assault of the bluff by US Marines and Militia. Great recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread