THAT SPECIAL CAR

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am sure most of us have memories of some special cars we owned or borrowed on occasion. remember toe first one, the fastest one, the cheapest to operate, or even the junkiest one. List a few.
My first car was a '35 ford roadster. Built it up to what was known in those days as 3/4 race specs.
I had two 40 MPG cars and they were both fun to drive. The first was a Renault 4CV. It was smaller than a VW. It looked like a VW from the back but it had a little hood in the front. The second was a Chevy Sprint. It had a 3cyl. 1Lt. turbo charged engine.
My true sports car was a XK 150 Jag. I raced it at the track at Marlboro in Md. there both gone now.
I had a 1950 Nash Ambassador I called the Nash Hotel. It looked like an inverted bath tub, but the back of the front seat folded back down flat and two pillows were under the back of the back seat.
I had a '63 Pontiac Tempest Le Mans con vetable It was as fast as my friends GTO but the IRS eat up tires rapidly and the fiberglass flexable drive shaft moved in and out of the rear an eat up pinion gears rapidly. After 2 years of that I had to sell it.
What do I drive now? An old pickup truck, a 22 1/2 ' long MH and a beach buggy built on a '63 chassis with a '74 motor. The buggy is up for sale.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
My 1st car was a 71' Nova 2 door, 327cu, 3 speed on the floor, traction bars, quick off the line. Always loved that car & so did most of the cheerleaders my junior/senior year in high school. :wink: Me & a buddy built (your gonna laugh) a 70' Nova, we welded pontiac motor mounts in her & dropped in a 389 pontiac w/turbo 400 trans. Put in a roll bar, deep bucket seats.........fastest car in the county for a time & we proved it every weekend. Back in 89' I bought an 80' Nissan 240zx with a factory turbo, 5 speed, t-tops. Beautiful car & fast as hell, it was a real head turner. I hear it would be worth a small fortune if I still had the damn thing, I miss it!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AP sounds like you were flying low in those days. What are you driving now?

Hay Spart, no more subways!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:

Hay Spart, no more subways!

Not a subway, but a Rolls Canardley.. I thought you knew your cars there :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay Spart I do but I liked the old silver spur better. The only trouble with a rolls is you have to put it in the shop once a year to be rebuilt !! LOL And the Bentley is now much faster. When they broke that co. up rolls did not come up on top.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is not a Rolls Royce, it's a Rolls Canardley and there is a big difference. As you say the Rolls Royce may be in the shop once a year. My Rolls Carnardley rolls down one hill and can hardly get up the other :tongue3:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Frankn said:

I now have a 94' 4x4 Suburban, stock except rims & tires & my daily beater is an 86' 4x4 Suburban 3/4 ton, lifted 6", headers & custom exhaust. How many Suburbans should a man own? ..........the answer is TWO! :D :icon_thumleft:
Just bought my girlfriend an older 4x4 Honda Passport in great condition a while back, she loves it! I did get to test-drive it when I bought it for her but not since. Thats ok, its not my cup-o-tea.
I dont do much work on vehicles these days but I am planning on getting a beat up 57' Chevy truck & spending a few years restoring it, Im just waiting for the right truck to come along at the right price. :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hear you 2 guys talk about cars it reminds me of my friends, they were all into sporty cars 68 GTO, 69 Z-28 Camero and one guy had a canary yellow wide a wide black pinstripe Duster 340. Here I am driving in my 1973 Plymouth Scamp, a real lady getter :laughing9: The one good thing that came out of it was that I did learn how to work on various cars. I figured if I had a fast car I would only wrap myself around some tree, or lamp post. Besides, growing up in the Bronx, we didn't have too many places to race cars.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
1994 Mustang GT, I still have a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 351c 4bbl, and a 05' Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi with a few mods making about 370HP. Looking to buy another 2010 Mustang GT or maybe a 2010 Camaro SS or Challenger SRT when I get a few extra dollars. My dream car would be a 1970 Challenger R/T 440 sixpack or a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 428 or even a 351c 4bbl. A lot of the new American cars are making insane HP even at a budget. The Mustang GT this year for $29k will get you a 420HP engine from the factory and run low 13' 1/4miles or better.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
spartacus53 (MIMITW) said:
Mine is short and sweet. It's my 1986 Rolls Canardley

Soon as i saw this i KNEW it was going wayyyyyyyy over the heads of Americans! :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
spartacus53 (MIMITW) said:
Mine is short and sweet. It's my 1986 Rolls Canardley

Soon as i saw this i KNEW it was going wayyyyyyyy over the heads of Americans! :laughing9:

hmmm, It didn't go over my head and and I'm an American :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Apologies...ok, i KNEW it'd go over the heads of any Americans..except you who already knew the punchline to that VERY old joke!

Better? :tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
Apologies...ok, i KNEW it'd go over the heads of any Americans..except you who already knew the punchline to that VERY old joke!

OK, that went over my head too.. I'm old :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:

Gotta love the ostentatious pomposity of those British Swedes or is it Swedish Brits?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
diggummup said:
Dano Sverige said:

Gotta love the ostentatious pomposity of those British Swedes or is it Swedish Brits?

Sigh...neither. Another 3 years before i can apply for Swedish citizenship,so unfortunately for you i'm just...British! :wink:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
diggummup said:
Dano Sverige said:

Sigh...neither. Another 3 years before i can apply for Swedish citizenship,so unfortunately for you i'm just...British! :wink:
Ahh, that explains it. :wink:

Back to the original topic-
For me it was a 1971 Mach I Fastback and a 1976 Gran Torino (Starsky & Hutch edition) .

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am not into speed, especially at this stage of my life, I went with comfort. I have 2 older Mercedes, a 300 SDL (diesel) and the 560 SEL. Both cars are boats and I can rent out party space on the weekends :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread