thats no turtle...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Our pond out back. never caught fish in the turtle trap before this spring. fist check revealed 4 big bluegill couldn't escape through a 2" mesh. next check 1 bluegill, 1 turtle, 2 bass. One was pushing 4+.
Didn't pose her very good, she was already stressed with me rushing trying to get her back in the drink.

IMG_1519.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice shot! :icon_thumleft:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not too shabby,I caught 7 the other night in my pond.Speaking about turtles,my wife said she saw a sewer cap sized snapper pull under one of the resident muskrats.I looked it up and they will eat them.Crazy!!

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
thanks to all for the comments and likes.
couple years its been now, but I plum turned on turtles (in this pond anyway). I kept noticing chunks missing behind the heads of bluegill and 1 big ole bass came up with a big bite on the side of the tail. the final straw was a real nice bass (abt 3 #) came up with what turned out to be 6 HUGE bites. Three on each side of the dorsal fin. This sickened me when I'ld think of damn turtles trapping and pinning this beautiful black bass down and eating her alive one bite at a time. She obviously got away somehow and was bravely eating a few pieces of floating catfish food when I observed her condition. That was the last I saw of her.
so war on turtles started and is never ending to this day.
sorry for the rant.
be safe

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome looks like that would have been tasty lol

Colonial kid

Mar 11, 2020
Maryland
Detector(s) used
ATPRO...SIMPLEX...nokta macro..started out with bounty hunter in 1980.s then garrett 200 ace then atpro and simplex..
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We get a gallon milk jug with wire from jug to hook bait hook up with chicken neck ect and when you see the jug moving around you got a snapping turtle it.s the only turtle.s in our pond method work.s pretty well.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Awesome looks like that would have been tasty lol

thanks A2...these days maybe. its definitely worthwhile to have some back-up "groceries".
right now my fish are more like buddies. I enjoy watching them smack some baitfish when I feed them.
Serenity now.
BW

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
We get a gallon milk jug with wire from jug to hook bait hook up with chicken neck ect and when you see the jug moving around you got a snapping turtle it.s the only turtle.s in our pond method work.s pretty well.

thanks Col kid...have used jugs before and may have to resort to them again.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I helped a guy clean out a pond full of snappers twenty years ago. We used 2 trot lines and fished at night using chicken parts. Ran the trot lines with a canoe. Caught 20 turtles in 3 nights. Largest was 20 lbs. Next was 12 lbs. Put them live in a stock tank with fresh water to clean them out for a week or two. Then killed and cleaned them. Seven kinds of meat on a snapper. Very good eating but difficult to clean. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread