The Amazing Self-Dating Coin

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
After getting a high-70s to low-80s signal and digging among some 1" roots, I found this thin-seeming silver coin. At the car with the magnifier, I recognized HRH George the 5th. The back was badly worn. Older CDN dimes say 10 CENTS; CANADA; and the date. I could barely see the '10'.

Got home and got into the World Coin Catalogs. Turns out that the first year for George V dimes was the only year that the text around the Obverse didn't include 'DEI GRA'. Since this one just says 'GEORGIVS V REX', wah-lah, it's a 1911--and is slightly funner at .925 than .800 silver.

Attachments

• 1911 CDN King George Dime Composite 70.jpg
    1911 CDN King George Dime Composite 70.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
Nice find, I detect in Canada occasionally and have found probably a half dozen of these dimes, and only 2 have a readable date, and those just barely. Seems like they're our SLQ, the date just doesn't hold up. I always grin when I pull one out of a plug however, I like the older Canadian coins. Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Great find!

OP
OP
Admiral de Salee

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
jtshombre said:
Nice find, I detect in Canada occasionally and have found probably a half dozen of these dimes, and only 2 have a readable date, and those just barely. Seems like they're our SLQ, the date just doesn't hold up. I always grin when I pull one out of a plug however, I like the older Canadian coins. Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

This is only my 2nd old CDN silver coin. 1st was an 1871-H Miz Vickie dime. That one has some wear, but the Reverse is much clearer--and I really like these old .925 beauties, too.

Attachments

• 1871H Cdn Vickie Dime Composite.jpg
    1871H Cdn Vickie Dime Composite.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 291

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread