Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting

Upvote 4

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's a great site. Great pictures of some rarely pictured relics.

One interesting side note is that it's hosted by the Fashion Institute of Technology of New York (think clothing, perfume, makeup design.)

OP
OP
pickaway

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great site. Great pictures of some rarely pictured relics.

One interesting side note is that it's hosted by the Fashion Institute of Technology of New York (think clothing, perfume, makeup design.)
indeed odd but from waht i understand fit has webbs finds or has access to them . Blume was in a artcle in Archaeology magazine July/August 17 issue in which they had a article called "set in stone" in which it stated she had access to almost 500 Banners in which she was to give a report on banners, i guess thats it. I still agree with Larry Kinsella on the use of banners as counterbalances, except for the large ones were prolly ceremonial wish i could find a whole one prolly have 10 or so broken ones ,maybe tommorow...

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
For a long time the bannerstone was believed to act as a weight to give the thrust of the atlatl more gusto. Before that these "problematics" were thought to be ceremonial. Only after finding these in controlled archeological digs along side the atlatl and darts did the use become more fully understood.

I think now the general consensus was that the bannerstone was used as a counterweight to allow the hunter to hold the atlatl in a upright, ready to throw, position for an extended period of time while stalking the prey so that the hunter did not become exhausted.

I had read a paper on this, that the accuracy was good, but the hunter would have to get into position and move slowly to not startle the prey. Once in position and in range the hunter would throw the atlatl dart.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are boatstones considered a type of banner stone? This one is from Meadows of Dan Virginia.

Attachments

• IMG_2462 (1).JPG
    IMG_2462 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2463 (1).JPG
    IMG_2463 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a modern atlatl after reading an interesting article about a couple college students that were studying, and making them.
They said the weight is very important for maximum throwing distance.
It is more complicated than you might think, the weights exact placement, and mass is very critical. They said it is so hard to get right, that they came up with what they called a "genius theory", where a prehistoric Einstein, figured it out, and it spread from him.
Interesting theory. The one I bought was fun to use, I was always going to try to kill a deer with it, but haven't yet.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
indeed odd but from waht i understand fit has webbs finds or has access to them . Blume was in a artcle in Archaeology magazine July/August 17 issue in which they had a article called "set in stone" in which it stated she had access to almost 500 Banners in which she was to give a report on banners, i guess thats it. I still agree with Larry Kinsella on the use of banners as counterbalances, except for the large ones were prolly ceremonial wish i could find a whole one prolly have 10 or so broken ones ,maybe tommorow...
Yup, I think they have a large collection that was donated, and access to several museum collections in NYC. (They had an absolutely spectacular banded slate notched ovate in a display on textures.)

My daughter thought about studying there, so we toured the campus (really a large building in downtown NYC.) Let's just say none of the staff or students looked like the crowd you'd see at a typical arrowhead show/auction. (One of the students who gave us the tour made a joke that the dating pool for strait girls was non-existent.)

OP
OP
pickaway

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I think they have a large collection that was donated, and access to several museum collections in NYC. (They had an absolutely spectacular banded slate notched ovate in a display on textures.)

My daughter thought about studying there, so we toured the campus (really a large building in downtown NYC.) Let's just say none of the staff or students looked like the crowd you'd see at a typical arrowhead show/auction. (One of the students who gave us the tour made a joke that the dating pool for strait girls was non-existent.)
Indeed, I looked up Blume not sure why she even has access to them trying to say they our art, she seems like a wokester, and if taking pics and calling them art is her report on them idk kinda odd...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread