Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
any news or updates?
i agree that the proximity to the battle here is intriguing, have done some research on this and have been able to verify some names and dates, that all seem to line up
i know this is re-research from what has been stated, but thats the way to do it, right?!

seems that there are a couple of sites in the area that could be Saddleback, although i have not been able to verify the names during that time

it would be interesting to hear back from those who have visited the site.

k10silv

Sep 21, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess this thread is dead... like so many others on this site. I've pm'ed Docles to no avail. He has since been active but no reply. Maybe well get to hear about it one day.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DocLes said:
Well tomorrow is the day. I am about 45 min away from this spot, and am going to take a look in the A.M.
I have done a lot of research on this treasure lead, and now it all comes together. Will take a bunch of pic,s
and post them and my finds on the site, along with some very interesting information as soon as I can.

k10silv, I believe you to be correct. So much for the "bunches of pics and some very interesting info." ???

DocLes

Greenie
Apr 20, 2009
Van Buren, AR
Sorry to have taken so long to reply, but I had some family issue's I had to take care of.

It was a great trip spending the day exploring the area of the supposed site. The reason I use the word supposed is because I have
nothing to prove the site is real. The one thing I will tell you Jim and Lucy Bullett were very real people and I think the pics will prove it.

http://mail.aol.com/35478-211/aol-6...ent.aspx?uid=30878105&folder=NewMail&partId=1

http://mail.aol.com/35478-211/aol-6...ent.aspx?uid=30878105&folder=NewMail&partId=1

http://mail.aol.com/35478-211/aol-6...ent.aspx?uid=30878164&folder=NewMail&partId=1

Just copy and paste.

The grave site was in a small cematary approx 50ft x70ft which was VERY OLD. Head stones were made out of chiseled
rock, and very few could be read. But then as you can see in the picks Lucy and Jim's head stones were new, placed by the indian nation

DocLes

Greenie
Apr 20, 2009
Van Buren, AR
Just not enough room on that page. I followed the story about Jim and Lucy, only to find some questions about it. First of all,
when Lucy saw the red haired animal carry her baby away it say's she chased it and it ran across the road. Well since their home was on the South side of Cematary Rd, that would have ment the creature would have had to head North and away from the Rattle Snake Mountains.
Sorry I have to step away for a while, will post more tonight.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your references require membership in AOHell. Do you not have any pics you can post?

OP
OP
Merlyn555

Merlyn555

Aug 28, 2009
Kingston, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
I don't know directions from a hole in the wall Doc... :) What I do know is if you have found the cemetery where Jim Bullet is buried you will of course notice how overgrown it is. if you return to the road that led to the cemetery, stand on it and face the cemetery you will notice that you can see nothing but bush and trees. Move sideways to the right to the open field (it was open the last time I was there) and you will clearly see a mountain slightly to the right of the cemetery, THAT is the ONE.

As you stand on the road and face the cemetery the cabin would have been behind you. The road on the right goes to Muskogee, Jim was at the far corner about a 1/2 mile away when he saw Lucy and the creature.

As for the cache being a KGC stash is anyone's guess but I doubt that any native americans would have been involved for the KGC were dedicated the Southern States as a nation and firm advocates of slavery. Their opinion of native americans was that they were one step below the blacks they kept as slaves, at least that is what my research shows.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
i have not been able to access pictures either....
even tried signing up for aol, and that isnt working out for me!

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked this story so I started researching and found some good stuff if anyones interested.

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born at Oothcaloga in the Cherokee Nation, Georgia (near present day Rome, Georgia) on December 12, 1806, Stand Watie's Cherokee name was De-ga-ta-ga, or "he stands." He also was known as Isaac S. Watie. He attended Moravian Mission School at Springplace Georgia, and served as a clerk of the Cherokee Supreme Court and Speaker of the Cherokee National Council prior to removal.
As a member of the Ridge-Watie-boundinot faction of the Cherokee Nation, Watie supported removal to the Cherokee Nation, West, and signed the Treaty of New Echota in 1835, in defiance of Principal Chief John Ross and the majority of the Cherokees. Watie moved to the Cherokee Nation, West (present-day Oklahoma), in 1837 and settled at Honey Creek. Following the murders of his uncle Major Ridge, cousin John Ridge, and brother Elias Boundinot (Buck Watie) in 1839, and his brother Thomas Watie in 1845, Stand Watie assumed the leadership of the Ridge-Watie-Boundinot faction and was involved in a long-running blood feud with the followers of John Ross. He also was a leader of the Knights of the Golden Circle, which bitterly opposed abolitionism.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Watie quickly joined the Southern cause. He was commissioned a colonel on July 12, 1861, and raised a regiment of Cherokees for service with teh Confederate army. Later, when Chief John Ross signed an alliance with the South, Watie's men were organized as the Cherokee Regiment of Mounted Rifles. After Ross fled Indian Territory, Watie was elected principal chief of the Confederate Cherokees in August 1862. Watie's two greatest victories were the capture of the federal steam boat J.R. Williams on June 15, 1864, and the seizure of $1.5 million worth of supplies in a federal wagon supply train a the Second battle of Cabin Creek on September 19, 1864. Watie was promoted to brigadier general on May 6, 1864, and given command of the first Indian Brigade. He was the only Indian to achieve the rank of general in the Civil War. Watie surrendered on June 23, 1865, the last Confederate general to lay down his arms.

billythekidder

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Battle of Honey Springs was fought in July 1863. Stand Watie was fighting in the area until June 1865. Near Webber's Falls is where he sank the supply steam ship about 20 miles east from Honey springs. He had used a cannon(s) to sink it. Also Honey Springs was a supply station before the battle and it probably was after as well.

Last edited:

Dawgzshop

Sep 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Muskogee .I am doing research on this story.There is a mnt west of summit that fits description.There is a old cemetery north of mnt with old plots covered in brush.If I face south in cemetery the mnt is to the right shaped like a saddle across street to north behind me is open pasture. This is off highway 69.

Coolbud01

Nov 21, 2012
Oklahoma City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have a cabin on Lake Tenkiller, about 30 minutes east of you Muskogee folks. If anyone's still interested in this, I'd like to meet up and do some poking around. I'm new to the hobby and this would be a fun first!

Dawgzshop

Sep 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found Jim bullets gravesite today. Standing in road facing gravesite with empty pasture to my back there is a rocky hill to the right. It's maybe quarter mile away or closer.I could see some rocky bluffs but its private land and would need permission to explore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread