Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out this past Saturday to my spot. When I dug a signal, about 8 inches down, three of these weird looking "squishy" when I gently picked them up, orangish, half dollar sized, things fell out of the plug. Thinking there were some kind of seed or something I set them aside and used my probe on the hole. Nothing good, so I went to rebury the seeds and those things had grown a head, a tail and four legs in those few seconds. So I picked one up to look at it closer and it turns out it was three, I am assuming newly hatched, painted turtles. They were so cold they could barely move. I am not quite sure how they had gotten in my spot as there is no water nearby for the parents to live in, nor was the ground disturbed in any way, which would indicate a turtle digging a nest to lay eggs. Never had anything remotely close to this happening when metal detecting but I could tell you some stories about stuff that happened when fishing that involves snakes or another turtle.
Anthony

Upvote 18

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this past Saturday to my spot. When I dug a signal, about 8 inches down, three of these weird looking "squishy" when I gently picked them up, orangish, half dollar sized, things fell out of the plug. Thinking there were some kind of seed or something I set them aside and used my probe on the hole. Nothing good, so I went to rebury the seeds and those things had grown a head, a tail and four legs in those few seconds. So I picked one up to look at it closer and it turns out it was three, I am assuming newly hatched, painted turtles. They were so cold they could barely move. I am not quite sure how they had gotten in my spot as there is no water nearby for the parents to live in, nor was the ground disturbed in any way, which would indicate a turtle digging a nest to lay eggs. Never had anything remotely close to this happening when metal detecting but I could tell you some stories about stuff that happened when fishing that involves snakes or another turtle.
Anthony
That would qualify as unique!

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think certain turtles bury their eggs away from a water source. I was going to the doctor one day and saw what I thought was a leaf on the ground. Only problem was it was moving by itself. Turned out to be a snapping turtle that just hatched. There was a pond about 100 yards away and across a parking lot. I gave him a lift back to the pond and went to my appointment.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is unique.
10 years ago I found a frog sharing the same hole with a Merc Dime. . . I took the dime and gently covered the frog back up with leaves and moist dirt.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So did you rebury them or keep them? Inquiring minds....

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crazy find indeed.

No gold coins in their mouths?:laughing7:

All the best,

Lanny

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anthony
Wow!!! Cool stuff!!

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think certain turtles bury their eggs away from a water source. I was going to the doctor one day and saw what I thought was a leaf on the ground. Only problem was it was moving by itself. Turned out to be a snapping turtle that just hatched. There was a pond about 100 yards away and across a parking lot. I gave him a lift back to the pond and went to my appointment.
Yes, turtles usually do bury their eggs away from water.

<<<Mating Habits​

She may travel a few yards or a half-mile to find a suitable nesting site, often crossing fences, roads and yards. She digs a hole about six inches deep and deposits up to 11 eggs.>>>

There just is no water around where I am metal detecting. For at least two miles, which I feel is kind of extreme for a painted turtle. Also, odd about the nest, is the ground was completely un-disturbed, until I dug the plug.

Anthony

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So did you rebury them or keep them? Inquiring minds....
I took the three turtles that fell out of the plug home with me. It was just too cold outside to leave them. I did not disturb the plug though, where I assume the rest of the nest was. I did replace that in hopes that the rest of the nest will dig its way out when it gets a little warmer.

Anthony

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the three turtles that fell out of the plug home with me. It was just too cold outside to leave them. I did not disturb the plug though, where I assume the rest of the nest was. I did replace that in hopes that the rest of the nest will dig its way out when it gets a little warmer.

Anthony
How they doing?

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800