The days of citizens hiding there valuables in the ground

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic, the old day's of yester year are past, but what a lot of people don't or didn't realize people/ folks buried there so called valuables in the ground not trusting outsiders for whatever reason, I can understand. To understand this doesn't mean much to some but when your considering potential searching spots well I guess you never no who or where it would be to begin. I don't no when people started doing this probably since the beginning of time but is interesting to say the least. I also find old stagecoach trails original roadways of interest but then again its very hard to dig what is pavement and or cement which means forget that idea. So it goes on and on, the constant research is never ending, just think of what the earth and the mighty ocean's have in them that will be untouched forever, good day.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Old Days" of buried treasure in one's back yard...May be "Back"!

Interesting topic, the old day's of yester year are past, but what a lot of people don't or didn't realize people/ folks buried there so called valuables in the ground not trusting outsiders for whatever reason, I can understand. To understand this doesn't mean much to some but when your considering potential searching spots well I guess you never no who or where it would be to begin. I don't no when people started doing this probably since the beginning of time but is interesting to say the least. I also find old stagecoach trails original roadways of interest but then again its very hard to dig what is pavement and or cement which means forget that idea. So it goes on and on, the constant research is never ending, just think of what the earth and the mighty ocean's have in them that will be untouched forever, good day.

With the imminent pending collapse of the US Dollar and most of the currencies of the World, smart people are looking to the purchase of `Precious Metals`.

One cannot leave their physical silver or gold in the banks for fear of failure or confiscation as happened in the last great Depression.

A hole in ones back yard may once again be a solution!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There has been an estimate that more wealth is lost than in use now. Want to be overwhelmed? Look in the UNITED STATES TREASURE ATLAS by Thomas Terry. It houses one mans life research work. It also has maps that show the app. locations. Shows robberies, ghost townes, etc. It's a 10 volume set by states. Enjoy, Frank.

Eagle desending.jpg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Whose estimate was that? Thomas Terry's? If he knew for certain where enormous wealth
was lost and forgotten he must have been very rich indeed. Why would he spend years in
research and not have found even one of them? But judging by the buyers of his fantasies
he made out pretty good.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whose estimate was that? Thomas Terry's? If he knew for certain where enormous wealth
was lost and forgotten he must have been very rich indeed. Why would he spend years in
research and not have found even one of them? But judging by the buyers of his fantasies
he made out pretty good.

The estimate was made based on the sum total of the production of gold, silver, and gems. The amount in circulation as opposed to the amount missing. It's a well known fact that has been published many times.

Lastleg, Terry was a writer that did a lot of research to write authentic stories. I imagine that he looked for a few himself.
The 10 volume set is a listing of his notes on his treasure research. He knew he was dying and wrote the Treasure Atlas so his research could be used by others.
Yes, a gift for us! Don't be so smug. You are getting as bad as Sam.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people never had enough money to worry about burying, and most of what ever was buried was eventually recovered and used or passed on. Most people only have enough money to buy the next month's groceries, or the kids clothes for the next year, and those small sums weren't buried, just tucked away in the home.

The vast majority of treasure stories are complete fabrications just for the sake of selling stories. the vast majority of real lost caches were never known or publicized. If you want to hunt for caches, you have to know what combination of events to look for in your research to tell you there MIGHT be a cache left behind.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us agree with # 9, including myself. Most people use debit and credit cards. History books are great for information about buried treasures. I also agree with my friend, Lastleg, # 5.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sam, You never call someone a liar without proof. Would you mind stating your proof about Terry's stories.
I have checked out some of his ghost town listings all over the USA and they were accurate. I have even found one cache he had listed.
Sure some of the stories listed were just stories he had heard and repeated for you to check out. I think I have been on Treasure Net longer than you, even if I count all three names you have used on here after being banded and I don't dig up years old stories to run up my post count and see my name in a long column on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people never had enough money to worry about burying, and most of what ever was buried was eventually recovered and used or passed on. Most people only have enough money to buy the next month's groceries, or the kids clothes for the next year, and those small sums weren't buried, just tucked away in the home.

Sad but true, the area where I live in Eastern KY was and still is very poor.
But we love to hear Treasure stories......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, even poor areas have people with money. Someone owned the ferry, the general store, etc. Sometimes those people did VERY well. Sometimes those business owners didn't like to flaunt money and kept their extra hidden. Maybe they didnt trust their family and maybe they died suddenly. Maybe they had no family and died alone or were struck by an illness such a stroke....

Things to consider while researching your own area. Lots of newspapers were as much a gossip rag as a news source!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are still moon shiners in your state and other states who buried their loot. Good luck and good hunting.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been a treasure hunter since 1964. Karl v. stated many times, that the best books on treasure hunting do not have those words in the titles. I let my friends decided if the comments in # 11 are true or not. I enjoy writing comments, mostly funny ones, enjoy by all. The best source on buried treasures are not treasure magazines, or books with those words. I agree with my good friend, Lastleg, # 5. If Terry was so good as a researcher, why he refused to search and recover any treasures? One of the most famous but untrue stories in Terry books and treasure magazines is: Rev. War 13 wagons loads of gold coins borrow from France, during the Rev. war at Bates tavern in East Granby. This story has it own forum here. I had read this story in a history book, This trip had very little amount of coins, no gold or silver. The trip was successful made it way to Pa. I had interview a son in law of Willaim Bates, who had still live in the tavern in the sixties, that no family member ever heard of this story until they read a letter to the Editor, of Hartford Courant from a woman. That was it. The treasure magazines and treasure books was off and running. Let us not forget Captain Kidd, and all the books and magazines stories about him including Connecticut. i have some good leads that I am working on, and seeking a friend, not a treasure hunter to give me rides for gas money, and not a share of the treasures. I receives many> like comments. Good luck and good hunting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sam, I don't think you even looked at Terry's Atlas. It states in each one that he listed the caches he thought were true, but hadn't looked for and left out the ones he had dis proven or found. No one knows for sure if a story is true untill it is found.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
When the story is told through contemporary sources and no treasure is mentioned, yet treasure somehow springs up decades later, the treasure aspect of it is probably incorrect.

Terry made some mistakes in the WA section. I'm not qualified to comment on the rest.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry made many mistakes on Connecticut stories. I am not qualified to comment on any subjects, but I do try hard.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sam
Which volume of Connecticut has the mistakes?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
When the story is told through contemporary sources and no treasure is mentioned, yet treasure somehow springs up decades later, the treasure aspect of it is probably incorrect.

Terry made some mistakes in the WA section. I'm not qualified to comment on the rest.

Rishar:
How about listing them so we all know what to watch out for!
Was the story incorrect, or perhaps the map location was a bit off? Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread