The Death of my Fisher F2

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Moment of silence here in Nebraska....

Now that that's over, thanks for reminding us we only have two hands and to seriously consider the risk of trying to film while you're standing in water trying to hold a detector, a target and a camera. Thanks again and sorry for your loss.

BigBadJohn

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have have heard that if you place electronics that have gotten wet in a sealed bag full of dry rice it will pull the moisture out of the device. A friend dropped a iPod in a puddle and it brought it back to life. Batteries out of course.

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear. Was like watching the video of a car crash. Maybe next time consider getting yourself a used waterproof One like the XP Deus or the Garrett AT Pro. In used condition, you can get them at affordable prices. On the long term, it pays out.

Having a Deus right now but wasnt really happy with it so i decided to switch to Garrett. Wanted to go with the Euro Ace 350 first but luckily changed my mind and got me the waterproof AT Pro. When i was out the first time with the new detector, it was raining so badly that it probably would have died already.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for your loss.

I have to admit, I watched the video expecting to see some graphic images of the accident. I guess my morbid curiosity got the best of me.

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know how you must feel!!!! i use a delta 4000 and my buddy uses the f2. both great machines and do us worlds of justice and are very durable and reliable machines!!! i am as attached to his machine as he is mine and i dont even use his..lol!!!! maybe it will fire once it dries

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a Vivitar dvr camera at Staples for about $60.00 bucks. It has a water proof casing and two mounts. I know it doesnt help now, but I use mine all the tile now. Here is a picture of one of the mounts.

dvrount.jpg

dvr case.jpg

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The danger of using land machines in or near the water. Also, I don't know if yours had one, but having an arm strap on makes it tougher to drop the detector since it will stay up without your hand on it.
Open it up, take the batteries out and let it dry. You might also want to call the manufacturer to see if they have advice on what to do. We will all keep our fingers crossed that she can be revived.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have have heard that if you place electronics that have gotten wet in a sealed bag full of dry rice it will pull the moisture out of the device. A friend dropped a iPod in a puddle and it brought it back to life. Batteries out of course.

DITTO....use the rice. it has helped me out in may ways..

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dropped one of my Fisher 1266x in the water before! She just needs time too dry out, she should come back to life when everything is dried out. If not, Please contact me and I will buy it off you if you are just going too throw it away.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Wait ! I haven't watched your video but I assume you drowned the F2 , correct ? I think I can solve your problem but it'll take a week or so to see if your wet F2 went out for good . I think this is a freshwater dunk so take your battery's out and let it drain . Take off the control box and if you can open it up and expose the guts it will make it quicker .Then go to a store look for a large bag (or two) of rice at least 4 pounds or so . Put it (rice) and the control box in the center of the box and close it up and put in the warmest place you can find and leave it for 7 to 10 days and then pull it in and replace the batteries and plug in your coil . I'm not saying this will work for you but it has for me with all kinds of electronics both battery operated and plug in stuff . There is another step method that you can try now if you want and it might work right way or you can combine both together . Buy a large can of WD-40 and if you can't remove the faceplate find two area's on the box and take 1/8 " drill and put a tape stop of a 1/4" or less on it so all you're doing is piercing through it and not damaging any components. Then tape the bottom hole and squirt it with about 1/2 a can , close the top hole with a finger and shake it up for at least a minute and then drain it out and let it sit for an hour or two or overnight . Do this as long as you're sure it won't get in between the display screen .
WD-40 is non-conductive and wipes out moisture ... as useful as duct tape but in a can .
Now if there are any doubter's that's fine with me because I've used both of these methods and have had lots of success . And it's better than giving up , not yet...try it .
And if you're too busy you can ship it to me ( just the box and coil ) with $10 or so for rice and WD-40 and I'll try to get it up and running . If I'm successful I'll let you know and you can send me the return shipping . And if not successful I'll send you the coil back if you want it at your expense .
I've been a member here for quite sometime and as some of you know I used to pick up bad detectors and bring them back from dead and then donate them to kid's clubs so this to me is the same thing and not matter how silly this sounds I won't rip you off .
So if this sounds good and you have limited time to tinker with it just PM me and we'll begin the process ... Happy Trails , Woodstock

And I almost forgot that if it's salt water then flush it asap and flush it again with fresh water thoroughly . Use the WD-40 method cause it with help clear up any slight salt corrosion and fill the control box with rice or put it in a box of rice like before and give it at least 48 hours or more , I'd use 5 to 7 days cause of the WD-40 . To make it simple , I think there is a good chance that you ( or I ) can bring it back to life . You can do it yourself for about 15 bucks or send it to me with cost of materials and shipping . About $30 total .
If I can't get it to beep I doubt if anyone else can short of replacing the mainboard ... It's all up to you , like I said just PM me and pay for the materials and shipping ... my labor in your case if FREE . Best Regards to All ! Woodstock

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since most of the components are probably subject to a certain amount of heat. Placing in oven at a very low temp will also help remove mositure. You have computer chips in there though, soo keep it within manual specs. I have had some experience with motor windings and such.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah .. Those holes you drill can be pluged . If you send it to me just drain it out the best you can and send it asap and I'll do my best to bring it back to life and back home . Woodstock

Last edited:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
I'd avoid the oven method and exposure to direct sunlight at all costs . Unless you can vent it properly so the moisture can leave the box . Otherwise you'll have a dry machine with foggy display or a big water spot on the display . I've done this and learned the hard way ... avoid this method . Try the two I suggested or send it here ... Woodstock
Since most of the components are probably subject to a certain amount of heat. Placing in oven at a very low temp will also help remove mositure. You have computer chips in there though, soo keep it within manual specs. I have had some experience with motor windings and such.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch!, that sucks, hopefully itll get up n running again

OP
OP
V

Virtual Paul

Feb 23, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moment of silence here in Nebraska....

Now that that's over, thanks for reminding us we only have two hands and to seriously consider the risk of trying to film while you're standing in water trying to hold a detector, a target and a camera. Thanks again and sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the moment!! lol

And don't forget I am juggling the scoop along with the stuff you listed!! I have learned a lanyard is a must!!

OP
OP
V

Virtual Paul

Feb 23, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear. Was like watching the video of a car crash. Maybe next time consider getting yourself a used waterproof One like the XP Deus or the Garrett AT Pro. In used condition, you can get them at affordable prices. On the long term, it pays out.

Having a Deus right now but wasnt really happy with it so i decided to switch to Garrett. Wanted to go with the Euro Ace 350 first but luckily changed my mind and got me the waterproof AT Pro. When i was out the first time with the new detector, it was raining so badly that it probably would have died already.

Yes the AT Pro seems to be the best choice for the money that is waterproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread