The DeLeon doesnt seem that popular...why?

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DeLeon doesn't seem that popular...why?

I am currently looking at a Vaq for my first Tesoro, but since I live in Louisiana I don't think a manual ground balance is really a necessity since our soil is not really mineralized at all. I looked into the DeLeon and the reviews I see seem to be very positive. I see it is categorized as a coin machine, but in all-metal mode would it still be pretty decent with relics?

Is there any significant reason why I should choose a Vaq over a DeLeon if I don't want a manual ground balance, most of my hunting will be coin with the occasional iron thrown in and I want to keep it simple? And I do have to be honest...I kind of like having the display as a backup and not having to learn the nuances of a tone-only machine for now.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then just get a Garrett AT Pro

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then just get a Garrett AT Pro

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? If I wanted double-digit buttons and menus to scroll through then I would get a Garrett, or half a dozen other manufacturers. But I'm wanting to give a Tesoro a try because of their reputation and simplicity. So, you're basically saying you think an AT Pro is better than a DeLeon? Not exactly the response I was expecting, especially from you.

Spaz

Jun 18, 2014
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Fisher F2
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Deleon
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just started detecting this summer so I can only give you kindergarten-level advice but from my understanding Tesoro considers the Tejon it's primary relic machine, but mine does well on coins also. No VID though so if that's a must they only have two options- the Deleon and the Cortes. I've never used either so can't help you there. They both use their 5 pin Epsilon coils. The Vaquero you were looking at uses a different 4 pin coil ("Delta" series) like my Tejon. I've never heard anyone come out and say it but I suspect the detectors using the Delta coils may be more sensitive. My suggestion would be to just give Tesoro a call. Rusty in service has been Johnny on the spot for me all summer and he's a straight shooter. When I told him I was thinking about a different detector with a display that would be a more specific coinshooter he suggested the Deleon over the more expensive Cortes. Earned points with me for his honesty. Just wish I could use my Tejon coils on it. Good luck!

rws51

May 12, 2009
Personally I would go with the Vaquero. It is much deeper than the Deleon and runs very smooth and quiet.
I owned a Deleon for a while and it is a nice detector, but I think it would be a much better machine with manual ground balance in the disc mode

The Vaquero will cover all the bases for you, coin hunter and an excellent relic hunter. My Vaquero found nickels like crazy and would air test a nickel at almost 13 inches.
I also like the fact with manual ground balance that if you switch to a smaller or larger coil, you can balance the coil to the ground you are hunting. It may not be a big deal for you if your ground isn't mineralize, but you may wish you had
at certain times. You can also super tune the Vaquero to get another few inches of depth out of it, although it seems to make it a bit more prone to hit on rusty iron targets. If you buy the Vaquero, make sure to get the 5.75" concentric coil for picking through the trashy spots. It's a killer coil for coins and jewelry and has surprising depth. You won't go wrong with any Tesoro detector, they are great machines with the best warranty around. If you can swing the cost, check the Tejon out also. It has dual disc which you can use help decide what the target may be, plus a few other features the Vaquero doesn't have. In my ground here in western Illinois the Tejon is deeper than the Vaquero by almost 3 inches. The Vaquero and Tejon both will bang hard on brass, lead, and copper artifacts and coins. You will be amazed at the depth both detectors will hit a .22 cal bullet. If you want to relic hunt at all, then you need the Vaquero or Tejon. Good luck and HH..........

Roger

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would stick with a manual GB machine. this is my first summer detecting. i did a lot of research on detectors before getting one, over a year. no GB on the deleon and the GB on the cortes in for all metal only. in disc it goes to pre set GB. i do not why they did it that way. i have never had to adjust GB on my vaq more than 1/4 turn to get it right on. but i am glad to have the manual GB. why not? if you ever need it, you will have it. good GB, i believe it also adds to depth.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
My first real detector was a Vaq, eventually I gathered up a collection of 3 great coils to use on it and I still have it and use it from time to time and I have found old coins, relics and silver and gold jewelry with all of those coils.
I have used it in some of the absolute worst soil in the country and also some of the best.
Manual GB might not seem all that important to you, and if price is an issue units with adjustable GB do cost more, but if you can afford those kind of units some sort of auto or manual GB definitely can't hurt and in the case of all soil types, even the very good ones, it could help to get you the absolute optimum depth and the best response on targets.
The Cibola and the Vaq are pretty much the same thing with just that manual GB feature the difference.
I would opt for the Vaq every time if I had to choose between the two.
You really never know what you will encounter out there...I would much rather have manual GB and not need it than not have it and need it if only at a few sites.

Like the scouts, the motto for everyone in this hobby should be "Be Prepared".

I also use a Compdre so I am and have always been a fan of hunting by sound with no screen info, but I also enjoy using Fishers with screens, also.
A Tesoro with their awesome tone response AND a screen does sound interesting and would be fun to experience hunting with something like that.

Hard decision...I don't envy you.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty simple. Many who use a Tesoro choose a non display detector as their personal preference, and in general people who use display detectors don't tend to choose Tesoro.... and then the small % that do is split between the Cortes and Deleon. Calculate all that and consider the competition in the middle range and it makes sense you would not see it as being real popular.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I have the Deleon and a Vaquero in my stable. In the areas I usually detect, the lack of manual ground balance hasn't been an issue with the D and I really like it. However, I can't truthfully say I wouldn't get a bit more depth in some locations if i could adjust the ground balance. The Vaq is a good, stable operating machine and with a bit of practice one can become fairly proficient at deciding (successfully) if a target is a goodie or trash by thumbing the disc. If you're only going to have one detector in your arsenal I have to side with those that recommend the Vaq due to the ground balance issue. Properly set, it never hurts you and in some areas may be critical in the success of a hunt.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies. Well, I've made my decision and it's neither the Vaq nor the DeLeon. I want something simple and my brand new Silver uMax will be here Tuesday. I know it doesn't have any bells and whistles, but everywhere I look the reviews are awesome and this seems to be the best bang for the buck. If I take a liking to a beep and dig detector than maybe next year I'll make a bigger investment after I learn this machine. And if/when I do move up, the uMax will probably make a great backup.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. HH

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies. Well, I've made my decision and it's neither the Vaq nor the DeLeon. I want something simple and my brand new Silver uMax will be here Tuesday. I know it doesn't have any bells and whistles, but everywhere I look the reviews are awesome and this seems to be the best bang for the buck. If I take a liking to a beep and dig detector than maybe next year I'll make a bigger investment after I learn this machine. And if/when I do move up, the uMax will probably make a great backup.

Good choice on the Silver. You are right, it is simple to operate. Other than being simple, it is extremely effective. I can't say enough good about my Silver. Up to it's depth limit 7" maybe 8" if conditions were perfect, not much if anything will get by it. Separation is super and recovery is fast. My best finds have been made in trashy areas by just slowing WAY down and overlapping the passes. The disc is spot on. I run the sensitivity into the red. No matter what changes with my detectors one thing is for sure, the Silver will always be in my stable. For the money, it is one tough cookie to beat.

Start with the disc set just below penny. You miss nickels and rings, but you will learn the good sound of a coin much quicker. As you get better and braver turn the disc down and dig more. Check all targets from two directions. If it sounds sweet from two directions, DIG it! Another thing to do is listen to the target in disc. then switch to all metal and listen to it there. Again do this from two directions. After some time you will notice how good targets sound in both modes. Of course always dig some to convince yourself.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't go wrong with a simple detector that gets the job done as a Silver Umax does. I am just spoiled with the graphics, etc., but I still believe that the Vaquero is one of the best detectors out there in the hands of the right person. The Silver is a great and simple detector.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay
You will like it. Tesoro's can hunt. They are fast also. My fancy detectors are much slower in response time. Main thing is take the time to learn the sounds. Why I like Tesoro's. That and the discriminate on iron if you so wish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread