The eclipse

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a Shamanic stone of great significance. Its as though the stone is blocking the rays of the sun. Ancient....

I think its an agate. Can anyone identify it better. I didn't find it and I don't own it. I've been asked by a friend.

IMG_20190623_102825432.jpg IMG_20190623_102831600.jpg IMG_20190623_102911642.jpg

Thanks

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much info, but it looks like it could be agate. Most certainly been drilled. You have no size reference. Why shamanic? Blocking rays of the sun?

Where found?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Blocking rays of the sun?...

Blocking the rays of the sun ????

I think he's referring to the concentric circles in the stone that sorta looks like a solar eclipse (as implied by the thread's title). That's what this little point reminded me of when I found it with the inclusion being the sun and the white around it being the corona. Purely incidental, I know. On the pendant here, who knows what the maker had in mind? May've been ripples formed when a rock was thrown in the water...

eclipse.jpg

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its about the same size and shape as the face of the old style crank pencil sharpener. I know everyone here will have that reference.

Why an eclipse?
On the first face the black spot in the center has all the colors radiating around it like the corona of the sun during an eclipse. At least that's how I feel about it. It's quite beautiful

However, I will admit I have too much literary flourish at times.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like to see close-ups w/size ref and front & back of the hole. I can't tell for certain that it's drilled.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see close-ups w/size ref and front & back of the hole. I can't tell for certain that it's drilled.

I agree Terry. That hole looks drilled but the other holes around the piece mean it could be a natural Vug as well. Cool piece but more picture of the hole from both sides would really help.

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't know where it was found originally. It currently resides in Ohio but the original owner spent a lot of time out west. The hole is definitely drilled but it has imperfections in the rock that are the other cuts you see in it. The thing has at look of great age as you can see the wear in it and the different bands have worn unevenly.

I am at a loss on the material. I thought it was an agate type stone but admittedly it is an uneducated guess.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hole is definitely drilled but it has imperfections in the rock that are the other cuts you see in it. I thought it was an agate type stone but admittedly it is an uneducated guess.
Determining whether the hole was drilled is a key factor which will determine whether it is an artifact. Let us see the hole better as I have requested.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Drilled or not judging from the straight striations on the surface, someone has polished or ground it down. Cool item!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I saw a pendant made from Lake Superior Agate from the collection of a copper artifact hunter (metal detectorist.) It looked somewhat similar to this piece, and was probably found in Minnesota or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. That's the only thing that I can think of that is similar.

Is it translucent with a bright light?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking pendant or gorget on this rock also. I want to see the hole on the back side.........unless I missed that pic.

OP
OP
Force_of_Iron

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry I don't have any pics other than the ones I posted or I already provided. I will see if some others can be sent to me. There is no concern about its status as an artifact from my point of view but the real mystery is what its made of and where it may have come from geographically.

It is not translucent but a dull greyish black with the colored bands

I think there are a few votes for an agate. That is my guess as well but I have a limited well of knowledge to draw on so put it to the people who know best.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
without any background, it is only a nicely shaped and polished rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread