The Finer Things in Life

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Alright, how many of you guys are hunting the sales to complete household projects?

I've already found a neat clock I like and wouldn't mind another one.

My Sterling tableware collection is still missing spoons and forks. It's surprising how things start turning up once you start looking. I just think it would be the cat's meow to use our own hunted sterling for meals.

Whattcha got going?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I I have my second nicer kitchen Faucet in 5 yrs. have boughten several ceiling fans that never worked when I got them home. But I did buy one still sealed in the box about a year ago and it's still sitting in the closet sealed in the box. Lol. I bought new sconce lights for outside. Them walkway lights that are solar powered. A couple hangers for garden hoses.

Also some wire shelving to extend the closet but I guess I forgot how much it was to go by all the things to actually hang it up!

But I do get also a lot of kitchen utensils to use and baking pans and trays stuff like that. Oh, and I bought this weekend a microwave because mine stopped working and to order the matching color it is 10 days out. So I was not doing 10 days without a microwave and having five kids at the house!

I think it's from the 70s. My neighbor laughed pretty hard when he saw it! It was $10 though.

image-2011598921.jpg

image-1941713643.jpg

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did great! Anything that is Panasonic that I've purchased or found at yard sales are tough and still going.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always pick up any full or mostly full cans of potpourri, bug sprays anything like that because you can get them for a dime a pc.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'll admit it. I almost never buy anything new besides beer & food. I know that eventually anything else I want or need will show up at a sale.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll admit it. I almost never buy anything new besides beer & food. I know that eventually anything else I want or need will show up at a sale.

We've tried to do this for the last couple of years and only this. My daughter is now in third grade and she came home and had just an awful week because all of her friends are getting brand-new things. She's getting picked on because she does not have brand-new shoes but a lot of the other kids in the classroom do.

She has grown 2" and her clothes are getting too small. So she cried her eyes out when I brought her some from a yard sale. Instead of brand new... It's annoying. I'm trying to teach them that because somebody else has something doesn't mean you're entitled to it too. I'm teaching about jealousy and how I would rather have money to go on vacation then have brand-new shoes on my feet every single day.

I brought her home clothes one day and she said these are not my style you can just donate them to Goodwill don't be bothered buying me anymore clothes unless they are from the store!!! I laughed and laughed and laughed and then got ticked off and Sent her to her room. My wife sold them on eBay for $60. They were all namebrand all the same size and somebody bought them as a lot.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
We've tried to do this for the last couple of years and only this. My daughter is now in third grade and she came home and had just an awful week because all of her friends are getting brand-new things. She's getting picked on because she does not have brand-new shoes but a lot of the other kids in the classroom do.

She has grown 2" and her clothes are getting too small. So she cried her eyes out when I brought her some from a yard sale. Instead of brand new... It's annoying. I'm trying to teach them that because somebody else has something doesn't mean you're entitled to it too. I'm teaching about jealousy and how I would rather have money to go on vacation then have brand-new shoes on my feet every single day.

I brought her home clothes one day and she said these are not my style you can just donate them to Goodwill don't be bothered buying me anymore clothes unless they are from the store!!! I laughed and laughed and laughed and then got ticked off and Sent her to her room. My wife sold them on eBay for $60. They were all namebrand all the same size and somebody bought them as a lot.

If the clothes are in new or nearly new condition how in the heck does anyone know they didn't come from the store?

I'm always amazed by the idiots that think having the latest "thing" is what's important. The vast majority of the people that buy into the whole consumerism BS are one pay check away from disaster, are paying for things 2-3 times once credit card interest is factored in, & have sentenced themselves to a lifetime of working until they die. That's one treadmill I'm happy I never got on.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't look for things for specific projects but we have bought many things for our own use. Most of these have been upgrades to items we already had that we have acquired essentially for free when you factor in the profit made on things we sold. Here is a list of things that come quickly to mind:

- Air compressor
- Set of chef's knives
- Kitchen canisters (for sugar, flour, etc.)
- Shipping materials
- Cordless power tools
- Hedge trimmer
- Shop vac
- Camera equipment
- Pinbacks (for a personal collection)
- Decorator items (lamp, vintage maps, art glass vases, and who knows what else)
- Hassock style fan

I'm sure there are lots of other things as well. I know my wife has picked up a bunch of brand new things that she gives as gifts.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped in a local church thrift and spotted a Dell 1320c color laser printer. It wasn't priced, so I asked one of the ladies. She said. "How about $5.00?". I told her I'd take it, and she said I could bring it back if it didn't work. It works just fine. :)

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for precious metals and things I like.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't look for things for specific projects but we have bought many things for our own use. Most of these have been upgrades to items we already had that we have acquired essentially for free when you factor in the profit made on things we sold. Here is a list of things that come quickly to mind:

- Air compressor
- Set of chef's knives
- Kitchen canisters (for sugar, flour, etc.)
- Shipping materials
- Cordless power tools
- Hedge trimmer
- Shop vac
- Camera equipment
- Pinbacks (for a personal collection)
- Decorator items (lamp, vintage maps, art glass vases, and who knows what else)
- Hassock style fan

I'm sure there are lots of other things as well. I know my wife has picked up a bunch of brand new things that she gives as gifts.

Basically what we've done ever since we started. It was only since joining TN that I even learned you could buy stuff to flip, and what to look for.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Found these few Engine turned replica pieces 2 yrs ago and have found none since. Wanted to build a set. Not sterling but I really dig the pattern.

Attachments

• 100_7504.JPG
    100_7504.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 81

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach, go to Joanns, the fabric store. You want to buy a quilting basting gun. It's red, and I think it costs like ten bucks. Here's the thing, it's a doo-hickey that puts tags in. You buy the long tags, and then add your own labels to the clothes!
Or look for clothes at goodwill with the labels on them. I've bought stuff with the kohls tag, Macy's, and one time, I got my married daughter a skirt with a BCBG tag, $158, still hanging from it. Paid four bucks for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread