Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things I want to talk about with this pinpointer. The good, the bad and the ugly.

The good. Itā€˜s very sensitive. It will pinpoint very deep targets.

The bad, it seems like about 20% of the time I put the pinpointer on it changes setting. Then I have to sit there and fumble with the thing to find the correct setting again. Sometimes it can be difficult find it.

The ugly. This is a $157 pinpointer. If you shake the pinpointer it rattles inside. It just seems like poor quality. I donā€™t believe I should be having these types of issues for the money. I was in the field today and somehow the settings got changed. It was extremely frustrating since it took 15 minutes away from my hunt and I couldnā€™t get the pointer back to the correct setting I needed to pinpoint. Iā€™m new to this pinpointer. Iā€™m sure some of it is user error but not all of it is on me. It got so bad I quit my hunting early because if I didnā€™t that Fisher would have been in pieces.

Anyway, Iā€™m going to reserve judgment for the time being since Iā€™m new working with it. The big problem for me with this pinpointer is the on, off button is the same button you press to change setting. If the setting accidentally gets changed itā€™s a bitch to get them back out in the field especially when itā€™s already in the mid 90ā€™s and the sun is beating down on ya and youā€™re hot already šŸ„µ Last thing you need is bullshit from your pinpointer.

Time will tell with this pinpointer.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A few things I want to talk about with this pinpointer. The good, the bad and the ugly.

The good. Itā€˜s very sensitive. It will pinpoint deeper targets.

The bad, it seems like about 20% of the time I put the pinpointer on it changes setting. Then I have to sit there and fumble with the thing to find the correct setting again. Sometimes I canā€™t find it.

The ugly. This is a $157 pinpointer. If you shake the pinpointer it rattles inside. It just seems like poor quality. I donā€™t believe I should be having these types of issues For the money.
I was in the field today and somehow the settings got changed. It was extremely frustrating since it took 15 minutes away from my hunt and I couldnā€™t get the pointer back to the correct setting I needed to pinpoint. Iā€™m new to this pinpointer. Iā€™m sure some of it is user error but not all of it is on me. It got so bad I quite my hunting early because if I didnā€™t that Fisher would have been in pieces.

Anyway, Iā€™m going to reserve judgment for the time being since Iā€™m new working with it.
The big problem for me with this pinpointer is the on, off button is the same button you press to change setting. If the setting accidentally gets changed itā€™s a bitch to get them back out in the field especially when itā€™s already in the mid 90ā€™s and the sun is beating down on ya and youā€™re hot šŸ„µ Last thing you need is bullshit from your pinpointer.

Time will tell with this pinpointer.
'The ugly. This is a $157 pinpointer. If you shake the pinpointer it rattles inside."

That rattle is the AA batteries being loose. Get Fisher to send you a bigger spring for the battery cap. I also wrapped a layer of cellophane tape around some of my AA batteries, to snug then up inside.

IMO, you didn't shop well if you paid $157. jm2c

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'The ugly. This is a $157 pinpointer. If you shake the pinpointer it rattles inside."

That rattle is the AA batteries being loose. Get Fisher to send you a bigger spring for the battery cap. I also wrapped a layer of cellophane tape around some of my AA batteries, to snug then up inside.

IMO, you didn't shop well if you paid $157. jm2c

$146.80 Amazon. Whatever, the point is the on off button is the same button you press to get into settings. If not careful you can be getting into settings when you donā€™t want to. Iā€™m sure it just takes getting use to the pointer but I still would have liked to be be a different button.

As far as the rattle. This isnā€™t a $50 pinpointer. Someone shouldnā€™t have to tape up batteries and call the manufacturer to tell them to send out a bigger spring. I donā€™t mind laying out $$ for quality but when the money is spent and thereā€™re issue I begin to take issue. Just me I guess. Iā€™m old school ā€œyou get what you pay forā€

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$146.80 Amazon. Whatever, the point is the on off button is the same button you press to get into settings. If not careful you can be getting into settings when you donā€™t want to. Iā€™m sure it just takes getting use to the pointer but I still would have liked it to be a different button.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$146.80 Amazon. Whatever, the point is the on off button is the same button you press to get into settings. If not careful you can be getting into settings when you donā€™t want to. Iā€™m sure it just takes getting use to the pointer but I still would have liked it to be a different button.

Iā€˜m ok with the rattle. Now that I know itā€™s not a defect up in side the pinpointer.

Thanks for the info šŸ‘

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$146.80 Amazon. Whatever, the point is the on off button is the same button you press to get into settings. If not careful you can be getting into settings when you donā€™t want to. Iā€™m sure it just takes getting use to the pointer but I still would have liked to be be a different button.

As far as the rattle. This isnā€™t a $50 pinpointer. Someone shouldnā€™t have to tape up batteries and call the manufacturer to tell them to send out a bigger spring. I donā€™t mind laying out $$ for quality but when the money is spent and thereā€™re issue I begin to take issue. Just me I guess. Iā€™m old school ā€œyou get what you pay forā€
More and more, we need to fix or modify something right out of the box to use it. Hope you get the feel for your pointer.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Iā€˜m ok with the rattle. Now that I know itā€™s not a defect up in side the pinpointer.

Thanks for the info šŸ‘
That looseness will willy nilly cause intermittency, trust me, power glitches off and on during use. Which of these springs do you gave in your F-Pulse? You need the one on the right.
Amazon is high retail on most stuff.
Big Boys Hobbies-129.00 as of their website today.
And with a few minutes on the keyboard, you'll find other sellers at that price. On top of that, an actual metal detector equipment seller will have new, and "genuine" gear. Who the f knows where Amazon gets their stuff.

I recall that my F-Pulse cost me $119 but that was a few years ago. The $129 was a baseline back then, not $159. Shop wisely.

!!!!!Those rattling batteries is a problem!!! A pulse induction pointer goes nuts with that metal mass of the batteries loose like that. Fisher will send a stronger spring. You may easily have an early rendition, back when the battery cap spring was a wimp. Fix that battery rattling. Stretch the spring, wrap each battery with some scotch tape. Best thing is to call Fisher and get that beefier spring. I had the same problem myself.

Hope something here does help.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looseness will willy nilly cause intermittency, trust me, power glitches off and on during use. Which of these springs do you gave in your F-Pulse? You need the one on the right.

And with a few minutes on the keyboard, you'll find other sellers at that price. On top of that, an actual metal detector equipment seller will have new, and "genuine" gear. Who the f knows where Amazon gets their stuff.

I recall that my F-Pulse cost me $119 but that was a few years ago. The $129 was a baseline back then, not $159. Shop wisely.
Only thing I buy off Amazon is usually books,a little looking can find you a used copy at a fraction of new even with the shipping. Any metal detecting gear I,m buying from an established dealer.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

!!!!!Those rattling batteries is a problem!!! A pulse induction pointer goes nuts with that metal mass of the batteries loose like that. Fisher will send a stronger spring. You may easily have an early rendition, back when the battery cap spring was a wimp. Fix that battery rattling. Stretch the spring, wrap each battery with some scotch tape. Best thing is to call Fisher and get that beefier spring. I had the same problem myself.

Iā€™ll have to take a look at that spring. Shouldnā€™t be too bad to replace.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more, we need to fix or modify something right out of the box to use it. Hope you get the feel for your pointer.

Yeah, I have a $50 pointer that I donā€™t need to do a thing to. Not as sensitive but I didnā€˜t pay over a hundred for it either.

For the money I payed for the Fisher pointer I donā€™t expect to do modification to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1BFEE638-CA98-4E42-A1DC-1C64D37DFAD9.jpeg
131699F6-A416-48C0-985E-8E83DE79FD2B.jpeg

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon is high retail on most stuff.

True, but with Prime the little lady and I get items overnighted a lot of times. I didnā€™t feel like waiting several days or so for the pointer since I was going out in the field hunting the following day. Wanted the depth of the Fisher for the outing. It was money well spent.
$20 wasnā€™t going to make or break me. All due respect but this isnā€™t my first rodeo friend. Figured since you took the time to comment you should know the entire story. I know how to buy but I thank you for the concern over my buying habits šŸ‘šŸ‘

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
True, but with Prime the little lady and I get items overnighted a lot of times. I didnā€™t feel like waiting several days or so for the pointer since I was going out in the field hunting the following day. Wanted the depth of the Fisher for the outing. It was money well spent.
$20 wasnā€™t going to make or break me. All due respect but this isnā€™t my first rodeo friend. Figured since you took the time to comment you should know the entire story. I know how to buy but I thank you for the concern over my buying habits šŸ‘šŸ‘
Kinda off topic but my Amazon deliveries lately never get here in less than 2 days, three or more days lots of times. I have been using Amazon for years. Amazon prices are higher lots of times.

You said, "$20 wasnā€™t going to make or break me." Isn't it more like $30 this time?" I'd have to wait and save thirty for a day to two if it was me. Just sayin.

Just curious though. Did you actually get the F-Pulse delivered in a 24 hours? I just paid a $150 membership with Amazon this year, highest I ever paid. The shipping times have slipped a lot though.

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I paid $119 for my F Pulse included shipping and no tax, anytime you order through amazon you are going to pay taxes and shipping, if you are a amazon prime member you pay no shipping but you still have to pay taxes on your purchase

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the initial release of the F-Pulse the spring was too weak and batteries had a tendency to rattle. A stronger spring was then used and foam pads were placed in the battery compartment to prevent rattle. Your spring is the improved one and so you should also have the pads inside. AA batteries have size variation and it's possible the diameter of yours are on the small side.
It's more concerning that the settings are getting changed. Settings are saved in non-volatile memory and only when they are changed by the user, there is no provision for the micro to change them otherwise. Are you absolutely certain you have not accidentally entered the setup menu? The F-Pulse is designed to be set up to your preferences and then left alone. Once you have it set up, a quick press to turn it on and a press-hold for a 1/2 second to turn it off, plus quick-presses for retune are all the actions needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread