Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking about posting my treasure story for a few years now. Well here it is.
I'm not sure of the date this took place because it was a long time ago.
Back in 1986 i got into metal detecting with a whites 1 Db. Than i got a whites 6000 D.
I went to the book store and bought a treasure magazine and was reading a story about Gold coins being buried at fort
Fort Snelling . I think it was 1987 when i went up there.
The next morning I get up and head to Fort Snelling to look for the gold.
I pull into the parking lot and get out. I take the detector out and head south.
I notice road gravel all over the ground. I keep walking and I reach the end of the gravel and the ground dropped off about 3 or 4 feet. Right there was a copper thing sticking up out of the gravel about 2 inches and the out side was showing about 3 or 4 inches. I could see it was round and i looked it over a few minuets and thought it could be a property stake because it was standing straight up. I thought about digging and i decided to let it go so i could start detecting. I had plans to come back and look it over. I was about 50 feet away when i heard two boys hollering. They were running along the gravel
were it dropped off and was heading in my direction.
Next they came to the thing sticking up out of the gravel. One of the boys grabs it and starts to wiggle it. I hollered to them to leave it alone and he had it free and they ran away.
Now i'm feeling that must of been the gold and how could this have happened that way.The gold had been there for over a hundred years.
A day or so later it was in the news that 2 boys had found gold and silver coins in a tube that was a canister for 1 1/2 in canister shot. I just could not believe it and have been kicking myself for years.
Now all this took place in about 15 minuets from getting there. That's got to be the quickest treasure hunt ever.Found and lost treasure that quick is unreal . Now it was said they had around $5,000. in gold and silver coins. An other place on the internet said that the treasure was around $2500. Do you think Their might be 4 more canisters with $5000. in each?
Roger

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Rodger. I do know that it is pretty difficult to do much roaming around Fort Snelling these days, with fencing and all, so anything there is likely to stay.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting Rodger. I do know that it is pretty difficult to do much roaming around Fort Snelling these days, with fencing and all, so anything there is likely to stay.
The fence must be new .I was up there about 3 years ago and i didn't see any fence.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Google is has been a National Historic Site since the 60's....just advising to be careful. 1987 was a much different time.

I am guessing Mr. Ranger or "whoever" would take offense to MDing for what he surely would consider US property.....or his if nobody is looking.

Making assumptions of course....never been there. Had to Google just to read up on it. Obviously you know the area better.

Interesting read. Here is to devilishly hoping you get the rest of it. :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

? Not sure where you were, I know historical building area is gated - they charge admission to get in, and old barracks area is fenced, and down below fort, at River area is the state park where detecting isn't allowed. But it is a big area so there may be places outside of these that I am not aware of.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
? Not sure where you were, I know historical building area is gated - they charge admission to get in, and old barracks area is fenced, and down below fort, at River area is the state park where detecting isn't allowed. But it is a big area so there may be places outside of these that I am not aware of.
The area i was in is were they built a cement fort. At least that is what i think it is. On the east side it is a rock clif around 80 feet down. I was south of that were the gravel ends and it drops down. There is a river down there and i havent looked it up on a map yet. I think it flows into the mississippi just a few feet away.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the Minnesota River to the east, and I'm pretty sure the area you are talking about is within the state park. I lived a few miles from there for quite a few years. The park runs on both sides of the river from quite a ways south, near the airport, to a mile or two north of the fort structures, and park rangers are plentiful. So you definitely want to check it out on a map before heading that way.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, Roger.. I mentioned the story of the gold being found to Tom at Metal Detectors of MN a couple years ago and if I'm not mistaken, he told me that the canister was brought into the shop (on Lake St. at the time) for him to look at or confirm since the kids didn't know what they had. Or something along those lines.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am so sorry, but I put very little stock into all those "lost mine" and "stolen stagecoach" loot stories of the 1970s and '80s treasure mags. And ... as usual ... a story like this present one (albeit a year old) are all-just-the-same: You can build conjecture "what if's" and "the one that just got away" till the cows come home. Yet, the reason why it is SOOOO compelling to have our eyes wax romantic with belief, is because of the psychology of "no one wants to be left out".

So notice here that no one can point to one iota of proof of any treasure. Yet these ingredients will most certainly become a part of the telephone game. And 200 yrs. from now, someone will be digging for this "treasure" (like as in oak island) and point to threads such as this as "bullet-proof evidence" that a treasure exists "just a few feet deeper".

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, Roger.. I mentioned the story of the gold being found to Tom at Metal Detectors of MN a couple years ago and if I'm not mistaken, he told me that the canister was brought into the shop (on Lake St. at the time) for him to look at or confirm since the kids didn't know what they had. Or something along those lines.
I'll have to remember to ask Tom about that at the next meeting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread