The ghost town of pere chenney

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found this place. took a while its well hidden,With all the small roads and turn arounds,and a place i may never visit again. Is it haunted? im not sure, But i did have my camrea turn off 3 times and the shutter didnt close.(always closes when power off) and i did have new batteries in it. and the camrea never turned off on me anywhere else. On the one side i was very cold and it was warm outside. It does have a sadness to this place for some reason. i was very sad and had sorrow inside. I do hope the teenagers stop destroying this place, beer bottles and trash are all over the place from the road to the grass. beer bottles in the trees... i did take a couple pictures, im going to just post a few. Not all, it will take too much space here.I guess if you can get a chance . go visit but dont bring the kids,they do go buggy and dont understand what a ghost town is. my girls thought we where chaseing ghost, and ran every where.. LOL ;D

Attachments

• Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,516
  • Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 493
  • Picture 096.jpg
    Picture 096.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 537
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 552
  • Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 572

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
That looks just like the cemetary where I wil be buried in Upper Michigan. Ever been to Van Riper state park in Champion? Kust before that look to your left and there it is.

I find solace and peace there...

Thx for the memory....

Gene

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
every time we hit van riper the wife takes a walk to the cemetary, planet those head stones are in great shape for the age

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some where bad i just took pictures of the one i could read, some where on the ground and some were so badley worn you couldnt even read a name..

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
HI; I have worked in cemetaries since I retired, some were reputedly haunted. I never had any fear of working in any of them,or felt bad vibes. guess I was lucky. Bob

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the most scariest thing is that the cemetary is in the middle of nowhere. and nobody can hear you scream :icon_pirat:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have thought of making a trip over there. I no kidding picked up an old topo map of pere cheney at an antique store in the UP this last weekend. It has about 10 or 15 spots marked "ruins" on it.

I have read a little about it in some of the ghost town books too.

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i tried to find from maps,but i had to go to the libray to get directons from a local. it was a pain to find

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
It's only about an hour and a half drive from here. I'll program the gps before I head over, along with some of the ruins. thanks for the heads up on being hard to locate. I will give it a try in the next couple of weeks, and I will let you know how it works out.
Mark

Rattles

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Bay City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
mpostma said:
I have thought of making a trip over there. I no kidding picked up an old topo map of pere cheney at an antique store in the UP this last weekend. It has about 10 or 15 spots marked "ruins" on it.

Could you post up a scan of this eventually?

My wife and I went there last Summer. Nothing weird happened. A lady I had emailed with lives not all that far from there. She told me she looked up the cemetery in the county record books and there was another row of graves under the path to it. Couldn't tell you if there is any truth to it. Maybe I will have the wife look it up sometime. She does titlework.

Here is a site for you more superstitious:

http://www.geocities.com/perecheney/Unexplainable.html

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Made the trip down to Pere Cheney Yesterday.
A couple of us spent about 4 or 5 hours exploring the old townsite. Found the foundation for what is probably the old school.
We found enough old square nails to build a new ghost town, a door handle and some misc. iron.
The site has been detected many times. Many holes that have not been filled in.

Very interesting place. Most everything is at 6 to 12 inches. Pines have been planted over much of it, and it appears that iron and nails have been spread out over much of the area.

I will scan some of the old topo map over the next week. Hope this is useful to someone.
Mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Attached is part of a USGS Topo map I had mentioned earlier.
It is the part of the Quadrangle with Pere Cheney in it.
I also have a Garmin Gps File I can post if any of you are interested. It has the Track of all of the places we went swinging coils.
There is a lot more of the map also, with a fire tower and some ruins marked on it. They don't show all of these on the newer maps.
Let me know if anyone wants more of the map.

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
I too know the cemetary by Van Riper State Park. Very cool. There are many a cemetary out in the middle of nowhere in the Copper Country and you can be sure you better bring a double load of bug juice or you'll never get out. Know what you mean by the peacfulness. The wife and I are getting ours this fall in Nisula. Right there on M38. There is an old Lutheran Church there call St. Henry's about 15 miles east of Mass City. Ever see it? Good luck on the Ghost Town. Sounds awesome.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Planet1mars said:
i think the most scariest thing is that the cemetary is in the middle of nowhere. and nobody can hear you scream :icon_pirat:

ooooh we can hear you a,lright...fact is no one is brave enough to come get you...LOL :o

Rossco

Jul 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have map?

Hi, do you still have the topo map posted online?

farkai

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I have been there twice. Once our group was spread out and could hear a young girl laughing in the distance. The second time there was nothing strange. The weird thing is all the coins left on the gravestones there. No, I did not take any!

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
farkai said:
I have been there twice. Once our group was spread out and could hear a young girl laughing in the distance. The second time there was nothing strange. The weird thing is all the coins left on the gravestones there. No, I did not take any!

What kind of coins?

Sep 19, 2022
Attached is part of a USGS Topo map I had mentioned earlier.
It is the part of the Quadrangle with Pere Cheney in it.
I also have a Garmin Gps File I can post if any of you are interested. It has the Track of all of the places we went swinging coils.
There is a lot more of the map also, with a fire tower and some ruins marked on it. They don't show all of these on the newer maps.
Let me know if anyone wants more of the map.
Do you still have this map

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread