WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I'd estimate that this bottle is from about the same date range, give or take a year or two, tooling isn't necessarily the one single characteristic that pinpoints a specific date range. Other indicators are the style/shape of the bottle and embossing, the appearance of the glass itself, colour, thickness, surface texture, etc. After handling more and more bottles you start to get a good "hunch" for guesstimating an approximate date range.

EDIT: Here's a good place to start - https://sha.org/bottle/

Yeah, I know the site. I told PepperJ, and will repeat, it makes my head spin. I guess that is the nature of the field. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
it seems to me you need to dig a few test holes... old house dump site.

It is the old house site foundation itself. Then it was used as a cattle farm/slaughter house. It obviously burned to the ground. I'll pick at it here and there a little at a time. We are thinking they may have thrown their trash in the cellar. We had an 100+ year old house before where we found they threw bottles and trash in the crawl space. Thinking it may be the same practice here.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years I have kept all the bricks I've dug at old homesites. I've laid them into many things around my home over the years. I have one walkway leaving my back door all the way down one side of my house to the wash room in back along with borders around some gardens. I still remember every site in which those bricks were found...
That's pretty neat. Any pics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread