mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I received a request to help a Detective Sgt with the Michigan State Police. He needed some help locating a suspected murder weapon from a 35 year old cold-case-murder. The 2.5 acre lot was as surface-trashy as it comes but luckily it was a really mature forest so limited undergrowth and soft sandy soil. I gridded it out like I would if I was searching an 1800's homesite and dug anything that could be a knife. About four hours in I get a nice deep, clear signal on the AT-Pro and there it was. A stainless steel kitchen knife. I was probably more shocked than anyone and it will definitely go down as one of the coolest things I have dug up.

Oh. The icing on the cake is that I received a nice acknowledgment fron the Michigan MSP that will be a great addition to the relic room.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20220316_122015_HDR.jpg
    20220316_122015_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • 20220405_204814.jpg
    20220405_204814.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 20220404_181224.jpg
    20220404_181224.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220404_181058_HDR.jpg
    20220404_181058_HDR.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 48

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I received a request to help a Detective Sgt with the Michigan State Police. He needed some help locating a suspected murder weapon from a 35 year old cold-case-murder. The 2.5 acre lot was as surface-trashy as it comes but luckily it was a really mature forest so limited undergrowth and soft sandy soil. I gridded it out like I would if I was searching an 1800's homesite and dug anything that could be a knife. About four hours in I get a nice deep, clear signal on the AT-Pro and there it was. A stainless steel kitchen knife. I was probably more shocked than anyone and it will definitely go down as one of the coolest things I have dug up.

Oh. The icing on the cake is that I received a nice acknowledgment fron the Michigan MSP that will be a great addition to the relic room.
Great Job!!! Congrats!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very NICE :) I also want to thank you for helping :) I have helped all kinds of Law Enforcement even ther FBI you deserved there award !!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank you for doing that! Congratulations!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a story you can tell forever. Congrats to you on your accomplishment sir. I'm just curious why they waited 35 years to bring a detectorist in to help. Seems like they could have done that 35 years ago lol

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Big time gratz! What a cool experience. So glad you were willing to help, then to find the blade on top of that. Well done mglentz.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was an award given that was Well Deserved. Today there are so many Idiots that are in favor of Defunding the Police, when we should all be backing them and be supportive of our local Law Enforcement Agencies such as you were, and in fact, did. This would truly be a highlight of any detectorists career in my opinion. Congratulations on not only participating and aiding the Michigan State Police, but for locating the knife that was used in this murder case. You are an ambassador to metal detecting and what we do. This award and badge looks great in your relic room. Well Done sir!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's great. I hope your efforts help bring closure to the case and to the family of the victim

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a story you can tell forever. Congrats to you on your accomplishment sir. I'm just curious why they waited 35 years to bring a detectorist in to help. Seems like they could have done that 35 years ago

Not fully certain on the details but my understanding is that there was a credible person that provided the location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread