''The Hill'' - Day 7 - Hammered, 2 SAXON SCEATS & a Copper STYCA!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some rain today but nothing too bad, so got on with the job of the mega grid. We were meant to be going into a previously recorded blank area, but the finds beg to differ, with the deep plough our best friend this year. Plus thanks to the farmer who leaves it perfectly flat but doesn't plan to drill until Spring.8-)
Cru'dad got a Sceat on the first run & not to be out done I got an imitation one on the next run. At one point Cru'dad shouted over '"Another outstanding day?!'" I replied "yes, because we are outstanding in our field". :thumbsup:

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
18th C 'Rev War' Marines Button
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Medieval Lead Seal Matrix
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Bit of a Roman Military Buckle
Broken Hammered Penny
Saxon Sceat (Imitation Series K)
Sceat of King Aethelred of Mercia AD674-704
(good example)
I got my first ever Saxon Northumberland Stycas (Still needs full ID, but something I thought near impossible as we are 200 miles from the Kingdom!)

Can this continue?!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 40
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to you both. What is the thing with the crown and two hearts? I like that. Which one is the styca? Last two pics , bottom left? Is that it?
It's an 18th C Cufflink, often mis-IDed as a Charles II Marriage piece.

Yes, it's the bottom left of the blue background.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some rain today but nothing too bad, so got on with the job of the mega grid. We were meant to be going into a previously recorded blank area, but the finds beg to differ, with the deep plough our best friend this year. Plus thanks to the farmer who leaves it perfectly flat but doesn't plan to drill until Spring.8-)
Cru'dad got a Sceat on the first run & not to be out done I got an imitation one on the next run. At one point Cru'dad shouted over '"Another outstanding day?!'" I replied "yes, because we are outstanding in our field". :thumbsup:

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Broken Hammered Penny
(good example)
I got my first ever Saxon Northumberland Stycas (Still needs full ID, but something I thought near impossible as we are 200 miles from the Kingdom!)

Can this continue?!

View attachment 2058388 View attachment 2058389 View attachment 2058390 View attachment 2058391 View attachment 2058392 View attachment 2058393 View attachment 2058394 View attachment 2058395
Awesome!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

''The styca is an irregular imitation with thoroughly garbled inscriptions. These imitations are relatively common, but not of course as finds in your area.

The Series K may simply be rather base silver rather than an imitation - silver contents tended to fall in the later stages of the 'sceat' coinage.

The Series E, Runic Aethiliraed is a fine example of the type.''

I've asked which Northumberland King the Styca might be imitating, I think it 'may' be Eanred AD810-841. Answer;
''Impossible to say for sure, but probably Aethelred II.'' (Circa AD840s)

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Broken Hammered Penny
(good example)

Can this continue?!

View attachment 2058388 View attachment 2058389 View attachment 2058390 View attachment 2058391 View attachment 2058392 View attachment 2058393 View attachment 2058394 View attachment 2058395
Wow!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Hours of pure joy;

8 Scrappies (1 holed)
Lead Token
17th C Token
Medieval Buckle
Lead Cloth Seal
6th C Saxon Brooch
Saxon Strap-end
Saxon Clothes Hasp
Ancient Awl
Broken Hammered Penny
(good example)

Can this continue?!

Cru', the imitation sceat...is fascinating to me...that would seem a rarer find...would that make it more valuable?

And the button with 2 hearts...what would the time period be for that...

Knocking it out of the park as usual.

Congratulations!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With each post I get to travel back in time, hundreds of years before the birth of our country- Amazing stuff!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru', the imitation sceat...is fascinating to me...that would seem a rarer find...would that make it more valuable?

And the button with 2 hearts...what would the time period be for that...
Probably rarer but there are not as many collectors. They like the high silver high grade examples.

Its one half of an 18th C Cuff-link button.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds, but I need photographic evidence that you are out-standing-in-your-field :laughing7:
To be fair the only standing we do is whilst pocketing & extracting the finds from the ground. The rest of the time I'm keeping the machine oiled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread