The Johnstown Flood

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The stream of human beings that was swept before the angry floods was something most pitiful to behold. men, women and children were carried along frantically shrieking for help, but their cries availed them nothing. Rescue was impossible. Husbands were swept past their wives, and children were borne along, at a terrible speed, to certain death, before the eyes of their terrorized and frantic parents. Houses, out-buildings, trees and barns were carried on the angry flood of waters as so much chaff. Cattle standing in the fields were overwhelmed, and their carcasses strewed the tide. The railroad tracks converging on the town were washed out, and wires in all directions were prostrated.

Down through the packsaddle came the running waters. Clinging to improvised rafts, constructed in the death battle from floating boards and timbers, were agonized men, women and children, their heart-rending shrieks for help striking horror to the breasts of the onlookers. Their cries were of no avail. Carried along at a railway speed on the breast of this rushing torrent, no human ingenuity could devise a means of rescue.

It is impossible to describe briefly the suddenness with which the disaster came. A warning sound was heard at Conemaugh a few minutes before the rush of water came, but it was attributed to some meteorological disturbance, and no trouble was borrowed because of the thing unseen. As the low, rumbling noise increased in volume, however, and came nearer, a suspicion of danger began to force itself even upon the bravest, which was increased to a certainty a few minutes later, when, with a rush, the mighty stream spread out in width, and when there was not time to do anything to save themselves. Many of the unfortunates where whirled into the middle of the stream before they could turn around; men, women and children were struggling in the streets, and it is thought that many of them never reached Johnstown, only a mile or two below.
http://prr.railfan.net/documents/JohnstownFlood.html

Attachments

• Johnstown clinton and Main.jpg
    Johnstown clinton and Main.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,119
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
:'(

Attachments

• Johnstown clinton St.jpg
    Johnstown clinton St.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3,026
  • Johnstown Flood.jpg
    Johnstown Flood.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,209

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Also less than a two hour drive. And this was all caused by the rich & powerful
from the Pitts. area who kept summer homes in the area. The magnates of the steel, coke , coal & banking industries ignored the warnings that the dam could
fail & they ignored that warning. They wouldn't spend the money on upkeep of
the dam which caused this tragedy. Of course, it wasn't their fault.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
I grew up in Johnstown, haven't been there in a decade but in the early to mid 90's i returned "home" several times to hunt in the areas I had heard about from the "old timers" and family history/lore regarding the 1936 flood. I can tell you about several productive sites in Conemaugh Borough and Benshoff hill where many people fled with their possessions both in 1889 and the '36 flood.

I even follow up on a rumor of some buried loot from some bootleggers in that area....no luck.

Thanks for the Pix, any one who wishes to discuss good sites may PM me, I can give you details.

floodcitykid

dirt63

Nov 12, 2008
I'm a newbie from ebensburg, and been looking for some good locations to MD down there in johnstown because of the flood. Anyone want to join let me know.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
dirt63 said:
I'm a newbie from ebensburg, and been looking for some good locations to MD down there in johnstown because of the flood. Anyone want to join let me know.

Check out a place on Called Conemaugh borough, from the main street you can look up on a hillside and see a large grey outcropping, this is called Devils Rock, when the floods hit, many people hi tailed it up there and camped out for a few days until returning home. Also, the area was a hobo jungle and I understand local indoans may have used it in some type of ceremony.

I found lots of old coins there and a few interesting odds and ends, still plenty more to be found.

floodcitykid

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic's everyone...i remember a few year's back i was out YARDsailing&passed on about 7-8 Keystone Stereoveiws of the Johnstown flood during a"Moment Of Cheapness" man i wish i hadn't have done that!!!,I've added an image of a RPPC of the erie,pa.flood of 1913(i have a few more if ANYBODY wants to see them).Thank's everyone!

Attachments

• 2 595.jpg
    2 595.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 616

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King...thanks for intrest,i have been collecting Erie,PA. History for many yrs.not really postcards unless they are RPPC of flood&anything else on a rppc.the pic i took a closer shot of one card that is a RARE "Birds eye Veiw" of the flood,you can see how the window obstructed the veiw some...hope you enjoy...i have many more Erie items(circus poster1887,ledgers,images,tokens,etc.),
Tokenhead(Darrin)

Attachments

• 2 612.jpg
    2 612.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 2 610.jpg
    2 610.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 460
  • 2 609.jpg
    2 609.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 503

Caretaker245

Oct 14, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I realize that this is an older thread but I'm new here so I get to catch up a couple of years late! There's a site called GenDisasters.com that actually has film footage of the flood's impact in Pittsburgh. They've also got transcribed newspaper articles. They cover disasters by state and some of them are quite fascinating... in a macabre sort of way.

smed76

Oct 22, 2012
Old thread still but i live in the area also.thought alot of searching down river to find anything souvenir of the old floods.Im curious if any of you happen to know where would they put all the debris from the 1889 flood.Id guess it would have to be floated down to some dumping ground?.?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly there are answers in this old book that I have. It was written by Willis Fletcher Johnson in 1889 right after the flood. Check abebooks.com for one, a nice site for finding out of print books.

DSC09851.JPG DSC09852.JPG DSC09850.JPG DSC09849.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions