Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
By Jaclyn Peiser washingtonpost.com
June 16, 2022 at 7:12 AM EDT

Man illegally excavated Native American site, took artifacts, officials say

A peninsula on the Harry S. Truman Lake in Henry County, Mo., houses a trove of Native American artifacts dating back thousands of years. The site is protected by federal law, and unauthorized excavation is forbidden.
bad_plubicity.jpg

Johnny Lee Brown dug for treasure anyway, federal prosecutors say.

In an 11-count indictment made public on Tuesday, prosecutors allege the 71-year-old Clinton, Mo., resident caused more than $300,000 in damage during excavation trips spanning over five years. Brown’s charges include felony counts for conspiracy, causing damage and defacing archaeological resources and government property.

“According to the Osage Nation, the excavation damage to this archaeological site caused by this conspiracy greatly impacts the cultural history of the Osage Nation, and other affiliated tribes,” the indictment says.

Brown’s attorneys did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Wednesday.

The location of the digs is known locally as “the Tightwad Site” because it’s near Tightwad, Mo., about 90 miles southeast of Kansas City, Mo. The site dates to the Late Archaic Period, which was 3,000 to 5,000 years ago, prosecutors said. Experts say the location’s dense collection of items means the area was once “occupied as a camp site, stone processing site, or both,” court documents say.

Locations like the Tightwad Site are protected by the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, which preserves public and Native American lands that “are an irreplaceable part of the Nation’s heritage,” court documents say. The act makes it illegal to excavate or remove items without a permit. It also establishes damaging, altering or defacing the site as felony crimes.

Brown began excavating the site as early as June 2016, prosecutors said. Along with at least two unnamed co-conspirators, Brown allegedly accessed the area by driving on unauthorized access trails or walking to the site. Their visits would last anywhere from about 30 minutes to over three hours, court documents say.

“Brown and co-conspirators used tools ranging from small handheld trowels to full-size shovels, rakes, and hoes to dig, excavate, or otherwise damage, large areas of intact soil to reveal hidden archaeological resources,” the indictment says.

The group allegedly carried firearms and brought buckets, backpacks and containers to transport items from the site. Prosecutors did not specify what artifacts they believe Brown took from the site or say where the items are now.

It is not immediately clear how many times Brown went to the site. Court documents list 10 examples of the alleged excavations in 2016, 2017 and 2020. The financial damage from those visits ranged from $1,440 to $12,960, prosecutors say. The indictment says that investigators were able to track the visits on surveillance cameras.

Brown was arrested Tuesday. His trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 22.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BINGO!.....

There are so many places in Missouri that are rich in artifacts, and you only need to ask permission, I would usually sweeten the pot with "bribes". Seeing a farmer working along the roadside on fences I would stop and talk to them, make friends, and then ask permission to hunt fields when crops are not in the ground or ask permission to walk the creeks on their property, I would sweeten the pot with work gloves, ball caps, etc.
Lots of places to hunt without risking it on obviously out of bounds sites. Great idea on the sweeteners too.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For forty years now, Corps of Engineers have been using high-resolution video to keep an eye on known sites with a range of 1.5 miles (probably longer distance now). They can be collecting evidence for months with the digger none the wiser before the hammer falls. Like somebody said, get permission on private property, or better yet, buy your own land to dig on.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For forty years now, Corps of Engineers have been using high-resolution video to keep an eye on known sites with a range of 1.5 miles (probably longer distance now). They can be collecting evidence for months with the digger none the wiser before the hammer falls. Like somebody said, get permission on private property, or better yet, buy your own land to dig on.
I live in a big farming area,grew up with all the farmers here and they don,t give two hoots if I hunt their property.I always show them any sharp iron pieces I find.They like those gone,those big old tractor tires are expensive. Try asking and promote that you,,ll remove anything like that,might be a good door opener for you,farmers tend to talk to each other and pass along things like that!

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Just as with other law enforcement operations, they likely had those who were breaking the law under surveillance for a long time. Making sure they had a solid case before arresting them.

When first discovered there was illegal operations they have been surprised, only to find out over time the depth of the crimes. They may have approached the two unnamed individuals, showed their hand and offered a deal of lesser charges to the two unnamed individuals in exchange of being a witness against the third who may have been a target of more charges - for whatever reason.

Just a hunch from what is in the column and what is not.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
They probably wouldnt of caused so much damage if someone would of checked the cameras sooner. I think its kind of dumb to know someones doing something that damaging and then let them keep doing it.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidence of digging over five years? Using hand trowels and even full sized shovels!

I don’t agree with disrupting historical lands but damn. That’s some government efficacy right there.

They spent 300,000 in man hours watching them dig before doing anything.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidence of digging over five years? Using hand trowels and even full sized shovels!

I don’t agree with disrupting historical lands but damn. That’s some government efficacy right there.

They spent 300,000 in man hours watching them dig before doing anything.
Estimated they caused $300,000 worth of damage, not $300,000 in man-hours. Most likely the camera was just recently installed, there are so many artifact-rich areas in Missouri, when I lived there I knew where there were several mounds on private land that was farmed.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s several mounds within 30 miles of where I live.Some on Federal land that are little known and several on private farm lands.The owners keep a close watch on them since they,re easily accessible.They don,t even allow Archie access due to requests from the Ancestors of the original Indians.Don,t try it! You,ll regret it!

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's a "bottom line issue" and it's settled that Laws indicated he was in the wrong, why are we discussing this?

I really dislike it when someone says, "it's the law," is akin to a parent saying, "because I'm the parent." the reason we post items here, is in fact to discuss them.

so - let's assume digging is allowed, and no one else in the world is interested in this site.

What did he do wrong?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th
if it's a "bottom line issue" and it's settled that Laws indicated he was in the wrong, why are we discussing this?

I really dislike it when someone says, "it's the law," is akin to a parent saying, "because I'm the parent." the reason we post items here, is in fact to discuss them.

so - let's assume digging is allowed, and no one else in the world is interested in this site.

What did he do wrong?
The destruction of antiquities, he was not digging on private land and he deserves what punishment he gets just like someone digging in national parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread