Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • I hope this is the same as the Lost Adams "Diggings"

• St. Johns herald and Apache news. [volume] (St. Johns, Apache Co., Ariz.), 13 July 1916.
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...t=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=9

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The value - $300,000 - and the allegation that it is a "hidden treasure" seem to indicate that it is something else. The "Adams Diggings" has almost always been described as a placer gold deposit. But ... who knows? Captain Jones seemed to think he did.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
In my opinion that is the Lost Adams Diggings ("Diggin's"). Technically, of course, it was never a mine. It was, at best, a prospect. A glory hole that may have been rapidly cleaned out.

It would be interesting to search the March 1916 issues of the ​Gallup Independent.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion that is the Lost Adams Diggings ("Diggin's"). Technically, of course, it was never a mine. It was, at best, a prospect. A glory hole that may have been rapidly cleaned out.

It would be interesting to search the March 1916 issues of the ​Gallup Independent.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Yea ! I don't have Access to ​Gallup Independent.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Because it was such a common practice for newspapers in the late 19th and early 20th Century to simply copy articles from each other, there's a good chance another paper picked up the story from the Gallup Independent - just as the St. Johns Herald and the Apache News did here. In the next week or so I'll poke around a bit and see what I can come up with.

This article is a nice find!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

I remember obtaining a microfiche printout of this article from the El Paso Public Library back in the 70s and getting hot on the trail in malpais country looking around for the fabulous placer deposit. This of course was over ground that hundreds or thousands had searched with a fine-tooth comb for many decades with no success whatever. It wasn't until much later that I realized that Byerts was way late to the LAD party and that, IMO, his information was seriously flawed. Despite many expert opinions to the contrary, it's my belief that, if it existed as told, the LAD was not located as far north as the Byerts account relates. However, for folks who love adventure yarns, the Byerts account is terrific reading. A pamphlet publication of his account is still available, I believe, and is a good addition to your bookcase.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
sdcfia:

Yes, the Byerts pamphlet is still available. I reprinted it some years ago because copies were unobtainable at the time. Ed Bartholomew ("Jesse Rascoe") wrote me and said he didn't think it existed - that J. Frank Dobie had just made it up. Obviously, that was a rare time when Ed was mistaken. It's a very important piece of the legend. It's not, of course, the whole story. But then, what is?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
sdcfia:

Yes, the Byerts pamphlet is still available. I reprinted it some years ago because copies were unobtainable at the time. Ed Bartholomew ("Jesse Rascoe") wrote me and said he didn't think it existed - that J. Frank Dobie had just made it up. Obviously, that was a rare time when Ed was mistaken. It's a very important piece of the legend. It's not, of course, the whole story. But then, what is?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Thanks for publishing that pamphlet Bookeroo. I also must thank Jack Purcell for providing so much good information in his exceptional The Lost Adams Diggings: Myth, Mystery and Madness. I know that it's become a very pricey purchase these days, but for serious LAD inquirers, Purcell's book is an anchor. [h=1][/h]

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
sdcfia: Let me say this about Jack Purcell's book - I wish I'd written it. It is an absolutely essential contribution to the LAD lore.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

desertdog1

Nov 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Adams stated that the diggings were 3 days travel from Fort Wingate....
I read a book written by an old settler in the Reserve NM area who stated that Adams came back to that area(Reserve) and stayed with his family for a period of time while he searched for his long lost mine.
He said Adams never found it and was sad and despondent.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Was that Old Magdalena Cow Town by Langford Ryan Johnston (1983)? It's a tough title to locate these days - hang onto your copy!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

desertdog1

Nov 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...I can't remember the title....It's in the Silver city library.....there were actually 2 different references in 2 different books about Adams coming to the Reserve area and looking for the mine.
The guy must have had a terrible sense of direction....

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snow lake middle fork of the Gila need a damn good lookin over before I find the end of the trail. Pinos altos and Silver City area have always produced various ores.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
No...I can't remember the title....It's in the Silver city library.....there were actually 2 different references in 2 different books about Adams coming to the Reserve area and looking for the mine.
The guy must have had a terrible sense of direction....

There are some interesting transcripts of early (1940s or 50s, as I remember) audio tapes with old timers in that library. Most are pioneer tales, but there are also a number of treasure-related memories. I can't remember the name of the collection - ask the librarian.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
The value - $300,000 - and the allegation that it is a "hidden treasure" seem to indicate that it is something else. The "Adams Diggings" has almost always been described as a placer gold deposit. But ... who knows? Captain Jones seemed to think he did.

Perhaps they're referring to the cache of gold nuggets that were buried near the cabin, according to LAD lore? Not sure where the dollar amount of that would have come from though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread